Safely deleting objects

• 24 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I like that every object on a miro board has a URL attached to it.

This makes contextual computing very useful. You can link back to something and know that you will find it.

Problem occurs however, when the object to which I linked is deleted.

Sometimes this occurs because somebody wanted to replace one object with another.

I would like to know how this might be solved.

We have a document history and I wonder if it might be nice to offer an option to "Replace URL".

For example, with the images, we have an option to "replate image". This option opens a window and lets the user pick a different image and replaces it.

I would like to be able to go into the document history and pick a URL that was used prior and reuse it so that my documentation in Miro stays up to date. If I must delete something and replace it with a different object, I want to have an option to use the prior URL (and block that old object from being restored to the board unless it is as a new URL after that action has taken place). It would be nice if this action then created a history hierarchy for the existing object, much like Google Sheets does when you click on a cell - you can see all the prior edits.  Miro's info panel could show this change and who changed the object and reassigned the URL to the new object.

Also I would like to be able to "find references" so that if any of the other miro boards reference the current object, i can know about it before I hit delete.

I know this won't help for external documents like a google doc or a web page, but it would be helpful to know if any miro documents (within my access) have used this URL as a reference.

Any thoughts that can help me?

Thank you.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Jason Dinkel -

There’s no current way to do this, although it might be feasible building something using Miro’s API. I’d suggest reviewing the wish list guidelines here and consider adding an enhancement request: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron