Answered

[RESOLVED] Duplication issue for mindmaps

• 2 September 2020
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 2

I tried to duplicate the mindmap I had. The goal was to get two people to work on two mindmaps at the same time.

However the copy version appears to be a static object that doesn’t allow branching out. That is no “plus signs”

What’s wrong here?

Also, is there a way to get two central nodes for a mindmap?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 8 September 2020, 17:21

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@ue7 Interesting find! I am seeing seeing the exact same behavior when I select a mind map and then Duplicate from the context menu. Once duplicated, the new mind map nodes are simply regular shapes and have lost their mind map attributes/functionality. I don't see anything  in the mind map help article that specifically  refences the intention behind the Duplicate option, so I can't say if this is a bug or a feature. @Marina - Can you confirm this?

@ue7 What happens if you select the entire mind map and do a Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V?

And to answer your last question  of two central/root nodes in one mind map, I 99.9% sure this is not possible.

Userlevel 2

@Rob Johnson Thanks for the quick response! Ctrl+C/V leads to the same phenomena. 

Regarding two central nodes, what’s the best way (if any) to get two mindmaps going on at the same time in the same frame? I am very new to Miro, but other softwares like Xmind allow it, so I am curious if Miro doesn’t? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@ue7 Thanks for confirming the copy/paste behavior. I honestly can’t remember if I had even tried to do this before with a mind map. We’ll have to wait and see if someone else on in the community or at Miro chimes in - @Kiron Bondale / @Simon.Harris / @mlanders / @Isman Tanuri / @Jonathan White: Do you recall ever being able to copy & paste a mind map and the mind map structure being carried over to the copy?

@ue7 - Back to your question about two mind maps in a frame - were you referring to two mind maps in the same frame. Were you referring to Miro Frames or something else? If the former, then, yes you can:

Use could also then use the mind map Ctrl/Cmd + drag shortcut to move nodes around in a mind map, or join them to another mind map:

Or, if you were just concerned with possible crossover/confusion between two people adding ideas to the same mind map at the same time, you could employ a strategy of one person only adding nodes to the left side and the other to the right.

Check out the Mind Map help article for more info & shortcuts in mind maps.

Userlevel 4

I don’t recall having copied a MM before!

I confirm C/P is not as should be in app & browser - This is the 3rd time I’m aware copy/ paste is glitchy - @Marina this piece of UI seems to show up repeatedly - time for some refactoring?

I’m also of the opinion that the ’slugging’ of the features of shapes for the MM is so brutal that they are not worth using

AFAIKS the only facility they have is tab creates a child, <rtn> a sibling and moving an ancestor moves all descendants (w/ a constraint I don’t actually like)  - in return for which all ‘sensible’ formatting is lost - 

I wonder - is psychology seducing us to conclude because its named MM we are not evaluating it’s suitability? I suggest just create any shape (eg a cloud?) and drag its dots. That makes a directed edge then opens a menu of shapes. This isn’t 100% ergonomic* either but imho is better than using MM

*The menu doesn’t include card :( but any shape drawn can then be converted to a card :) and then the card is out of scale :(, also the arrow joins the side of the shape :) until you have several then it joins the top :( unless you draw it out of position and then move it! :(

All in I’m betwixt n between which is the better workflow

Userlevel 2

Hi @Rob Johnson , rookie question: other that using a connecting arrow, is  there a way to connect map 1 to map 2 such that either could be a child of the other? 

Thanks for the detailed answers! 

Edit: I was able to find a way to generate a second root node. Just need to figure out how to connect one root to another without using a connector line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@ue7@Simon.Harris, @Marina - Okay, this was bugging me. I found this post where I had demoed copying-and-pasting part of a mind map and when I go back to my test board, the test mind map where I had copied and reconnected a copied node is still a mind map object and not just copied shapes. When I try to repeat my test on the same mind map, now the copy-and-pasted node ends up just being shape objects. I will submit this to the support team.

My previous post where this was working 8 days ago (around Aug 25): https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/how-to-insert-intermediate-step-in-mindmap-1785?postid=7185#post7185

Userlevel 2

@Simon.Harris I accidentally selected your response as the answer. Bad UX choice on Miro’s end to not allow an undo button for that. I wanted to like it and somehow tapped the other button.

Userlevel 4

@ue7 

@Marina can undo that for you 

its insided thats made the poor ux choice this time :)

Userlevel 4

@ue7@Simon.Harris@Marina - Okay, this was bugging me. I found this post where I had demoed copying-and-pasting part of a mind map and when I go back to my test board, the test mind map where I had copied and reconnected a copied node is still a mind map object and not just copied shapes. When I try to repeat my test on the same mind map, now the copy-and-pasted node ends up just being shape objects. I will submit this to the support team.

My previous post where this was working 8 days ago (around Aug 25): https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/how-to-insert-intermediate-step-in-mindmap-1785?postid=7185#post7185

so a recent change …

and recently the C/P was ‘fixed’ for not behaving correctly in other instances - coincidence?

Userlevel 2

@ue7

@Marina can undo that for you 

its insided thats made the poor ux choice this time :)

Thanks for flagging it. It’s not that I didn’t find your response helpful. It’s just that I wanted the issue to remain open till we get a resolution. It appears we have hit on a bug.

Also, it’d be super cool to have branches merge. Given the neuromorphic inspiration of mindmaps, it is often advised that mindmaps branch out and taper in, branch out taper in, just like neurons in our heads. I just upvoted an idea similar to this; doubt it’d get traction though!

Userlevel 4

Yeah I agree w/ keeping topics open 

Neurodiversity is a term i know and the concept of divergence and convergence.

according to my wikipedia hit Neuromorphic is a concept of VLSI emulation - but I like the image your use in this context creates :)

Currently I’ll stick with my ‘rejection’ of miro’s MM in favour of using connectors to a much richer palette of shapes - overall i think the conference / collab engine with ability to integrate point tools is the upper most need not making miro all things to all users.

Next few years evolution is going to be interesting and that, i think needs to be in orbit around social engineering (so neuro diversity) - but this is getting off topic 

:)

Userlevel 4

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention -
In a MM node (yeah I have some I created and am not thinking of redoing so they are still MM) i like (since I can’t make a card) to use bulleted lists of attributes below the heading (<Shift-Rtrn>, then “-”)

BUT what drives me nuts is if i tab to indent the bullet it does indent bit it ALSO creates child node which it then takes my hamfisted stupid not worked the UI out self 6 or 16 clicks and deletes and escapes to get rid of

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Simon.Harris - Thanks for the bullets-in-mind maps tip!

Userlevel 4

Glad to be able to spread the discoveries @Rob Johnson 

Simple question here - making me crazy. I want to use the ‘tab’ and ‘enter’ shortcuts for adding new children and siblings, but some of my main elements are going straight into text edit mode so the shortcuts don’t work.

Example - wanting to do this:

But all I get is this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hey there,

I’ve notified the team about the bug. Please stay tuned, I will update this thread as soon as it is fixed.

This is a major issue and currently causing a lot of pain for me and my team.

It seems whenever I duplicate/Copy a component the new component copied lose all the functionalities from the original component. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Support has acknowledged that they can reproduce the issues of “mind map elements be duplicated/copied to regular shapes/non-mind map elements” and has escalated the issue for further investigation. I will post back as I received updates through my ticket.

Userlevel 4

I copied a big but PARTial chunk of a mindmap on one board today and pasted into a new board and it behaved perfectly!

I was SO shocked i tried a few other experiments like copying a leaf and pasting and it also behaved as one would want!

Maybe support have acted 

or maybe posting to a new board

or maybe copying a big branch or…

but anyway - it worked

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I copied a big but PARTial chunk of a mindmap on one board today and pasted into a new board and it behaved perfectly!

I was SO shocked i tried a few other experiments like copying a leaf and pasting and it also behaved as one would want!

Maybe support have acted 

or maybe posting to a new board

or maybe copying a big branch or…

but anyway - it worked

The copying of a mind map and pasting to a mind map is now working again for me as expected - the copy is behaving like a mind map again.

Userlevel 2

The problem is there on my end. When I tried copying and pasting a (1) full and a (2) partial mindmap, the pasted object(s) are just shapes instead of working mind maps.

@Robert Johnson@Marina@Simon.Harris 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@ue7 - Support mentioned that I may have to logout and back in, which I didn’t, but perhaps you may need to. Please give that a try.

Userlevel 2

@ue7 - Support mentioned that I may have to logout and back in, which I didn’t, but perhaps you may need to. Please give that a try.

Thanks Robert! That worked! How odd-- I also had to clear my cache.