Answered

Remove a template from a board?

• 16 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Hi I have added an existing template to a board, but I am now unable to delete it.  I have followed other instructions which suggests unlocking all, which I have done, but I am still unable to delete it.

See below for message I get when I unlock all and try to delete the frame in green beneath it.  HELP?!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 16 August 2021, 23:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JanineDJ9 -

If an item is under a protected lock and you are unable to unlock it, chances are you aren’t the owner of the board. Can you check with the board owner if they can unlock it for you?

Kiron

Thanks Kiron,  I am using a board I had believe I created previously - but looking back from the main menu it doesn’t show as owned by me.  How can I make myself the owner?  Or do I need to create a new board and then paste the contents from this other board over?

I am currently using the free version so I am limited to 3 boards - but could merge two in order to free one up?

Many thanks for your help/answering, Janine

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@JanineDJ9 -

If you are no longer the board’s owner, you’d need to have that individual transfer ownership to you. If that isn’t doable, then copying & pasting content would be the way to go.

You wouldn’t be able to delete the board to free up a slot if you weren’t the owner (AFAIK).

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Because there were protected locked on a board that resides in a Free Plan, the user must have attempted to use the feature and accepted the paid-features trial:

Options

1. Copy/paste - As you mentioned, you could copy content from one board to another - just keep in mind that unless the objects locked by are in a frame, using Ctrl/Cmd+A or Shift+drag will not select the objects and therefore they will not carry over in a copy/paste. Instead, you would have to individually select and then copy/paste the locked objects.
  2. Duplicate the original board - You would duplicate any board in a Free Plan, even if you’re not the owner. So you could duplicate the board that is not owned by you at which point you are now the owner of the duplicate. Now you an unprotect the protected locked object. You would then rename the original board to “DO NOT USE [board name]”.
  3. Delete the board owner from the team - If you are a Team Admin, you could force ownership of the board to yourself by:
    1. going into the Team profile settings 
    2. Active users
    3. Delete the current board owner
    4. and then immediately invite them to the team again (they will actually just be added again and don’t have to “accept” anything):

And if you use option #3 (delete them from the team), if they were the owner of another board and want ownership back, you could add them to the board in the Share settings:

Once you have done that and go back into the board’s Share settings, you will the Sharing settings option:

And can give them owership:

I think you should remove this template from Miroverse or ask the owner to unlock the board.. link to template https://miro.com/app/dashboard/?tpTemplate=rose-thorn-bud-retrospective&isCustom=false&invite_link_id=898960075662

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Mariam Danielian - It looks like the Rose, Thorn, Bud Retrospective template had protected lock enabled when it was added to the Miroverse. This results in only the person who added the template to the board being able to unlock objects in the template.