New mouse functionality - is there an option to revert back to the old control scheme?

• 22 December 2021
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 3

I’m at a loss as to why miro decided how people should use their mouse or trackpad.

I am now required to use the opposite button on the mouse to navigate the board...why can’t the user decide??

It’s not a real question for the community, rather a comment about user experience.

42 replies

Badge

I submitted a ticket to the service desk, this is the response I got which doesn't indicate anything useful... (just the answer any politician would give...) I would encourage people to make their voices heard, otherwise we will be trapped into this so called "optimized" enhancement that completely kills productivity and flow...

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feedback! The behavior you describe is a user experience improvement our team released on December 22, 2021, we are sorry to hear it is an inconvenience for you.

This update was thoroughly tested before being released to all Miro users, and we are confident it makes our product more intuitive. Previously, double-click on Miro boards created a new sticky note, text widget, shape, or card depending on what’s been used the latest. We deprecated this behavior because it was not something the majority of users expected, and created friction for them as they used to accidentally add unwanted content and had to delete it.

All of the UX improvements we are implementing are optimized for reducing accidental content creation and editing, and decreasing the complexity as much as we can. If there is a way for us to eliminate extra steps that are too complicated for the majority of users (such as remembering to use specific hotkeys), we try to do this, whenever possible.

That being said, we’re always open to feedback: please, let us know how we can improve:
· Can we do a better job communicating such updates in the future and onboarding you into the new patterns & behaviors we introduce to our product?
· Is there something critical you are now unable to accomplish because of the recent update?

Please, provide as many details as possible, and I will make sure to share your feedback with the product team.

We also encourage you to give this update some time – try using it for a few days, and let us know if it’s still not working for you. It’s very likely that it’s here to stay, and we’ll definitely let you know if we implement any changes based on the feedback you and other users provided us.

We recommend checking Help Center & Miro changelog for updates about such UX improvements in the future – we document such changes there.

Pleeeeeaaaase fix this Miro!

It’s a really an extremely annoying change and cannot seem to get use to it

Userlevel 1

Often I had moved stuff accidentially. So in general it is a good idea to find another navigation mode. I have two problems with the right mouse button:

1. When I release the right mouse button it does stay in moving mode. Need to click again, to leave :-(
  2. There is a collision with browser gestures, that are triggerd with right mouse button. Tabs close and open accidentially :-(

Userlevel 1

I have to say, I’m incredibly unimpressed with the feedback users have been receiving in this thread. Basically just “nope, we’re not switching back, get used to it”. I’m baffled. 

Why would Miro implement such a drastic change, to solve an issue very few users were allegedly complaining of? At the very least, make it optional! 

I was in love with this software and could see myself using it long-term, but I can guarantee that once this semester is over, I’m deleting it, and will not be recommending it. 

Userlevel 3

Has anyone found the new mouse functions to be easier to use now that it has been about a month that the change was put in place?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Connor Wakefield -

I’ve been using it extensively for a few days and am still defaulting to the left button and having to remind myself to switch. Its less irritating with an external mouse, but I find it more of a challenge with the left/right zones of my trackpad.

I would really love to see this as a user selectable preference...

Kiron

Userlevel 1

I understand how UX people try to improve a product, i see this daily basis, but this change is terrible. 

So hard to get to used this new control. 

Please give option to decide ourselves (i never understood why UX consultants want to decide what the user want).

Thanks.

I’m a new user that joined right around the time this update released and having the hardest time getting used to it. As a designer that uses multiple tools similar to Miro where you need to pan and zoom around a large boards, I have never come across a tool that navigates this way. I switch between whiteboard tools and design tools but because Miro decided to be different, I keep reverting back to scrolling on my mouse wheel to pan up and down and it’s really annoying to end up zooming. I can see that maybe new users that aren’t accustomed to tools like Miro may find this easier because they don’t need shortcut keys to pan/zoom, but users like me may find it annoying to relearn it every time they switch to Miro.

I would like to ask for an option in the setting to choose which method of navigation we want to use. Please.

Userlevel 1

Totally agree! Many of these shortcuts in our workflow were suddenly changed. Have you tested with long time users? Miro was my favorite tool and right now it is messing up my work flow - very frustrating!

My usage of Miro over the last few weeks is slow and not as seamless as before. I do endless mind maps and presentations with Miro. Very disappointed, poor choice. Undo this change or make it configurable

Badge

Even after a month of using Miro in its “new way”, I must say it still really sucks.  I know of no one so far that likes the changes.  Unfortunately, as much as we gripe about it, it is just falling on deaf ears.  Having a Miro Community kind of loses its purpose if this simply sits here while the Miro team just has a good laugh... and of course the larger population of Miro users that are frustrated are not saying anything to Miro about it… I guess these will be my last words about this.  Congratulations Miro, you win!!!

Userlevel 1

I don’t fully understand the comments here… The middle button (used with left finger) will drag the canvas, otherwise you can use the space bar (not super fun but another option) and finally you can get used to the right button. Perhaps being a long-term Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud user got me used to what miro just decided to apply, but it’s not a bad move to replicate some features giants like Adobe tested for decades ! In fact, with the right click drag, miro just went a step further. I guess it’s a matter of perspective :)

Userlevel 3

I don’t fully understand the comments here… The middle button (used with left finger) will drag the canvas, otherwise you can use the space bar (not super fun but another option) and finally you can get used to the right button. Perhaps being a long-term Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud user got me used to what miro just decided to apply, but it’s not a bad move to replicate some features giants like Adobe tested for decades ! In fact, with the right click drag, miro just went a step further. I guess it’s a matter of perspective :)

Most software uses left click drag :) To clarify, I think the comments here are regarding the vast majority of people finding the controls unintuitive. It’s awesome you like the update though! You’re the first person I met that does.

Userlevel 1

What makes me angry: i slowly get used to the new control, but now if i go to any other sites (Google map or similar maps) i try to move with right click but it has a totally different function. :triumph:

Please give option to select the old method!

Userlevel 1

Same for me. I start trying to move around with right mouse button in GoogleMaps, Mural and other tools. Absolute failure! 

It is like this:

For all cars you need to push the “clutch pedal”. But there is one manufacture that thinks pulling is the better option, so you get not confused with the break…

All of the UX improvements we are implementing are optimized for reducing accidental content creation and editing, and decreasing the complexity as much as we can.​​​​​

This ambition is something you might want to reevaluate as the dumbing down of the experience for new users, is seriously impacting productivity.  And when you are a regular user, productivity matters, a lot, 

No longer being able to double click and create an extra sticky for example,, or having to press and wait for the precise selection to show tool up, has a massive impact on regular users, They are being slowed down again, again, and again, while the benefits for a novice are quite limited.

An accidental sticky is quickly deleted, while providing a ctrl+  shortcut for the selection tool would hardly get in the way. And yet here update after update we are being slowed down in our daily work, because the only miro user that matters these days is the novice user. 

After 8 months ignoring our very clear feedback to give us (back) the option to move around the board by pressing the LEFT mouse button (only), I will stopp using miro. 

I was one of the first lecturers at our (top rated) university using miro, was a fan.