Answered

Move a board from free acount to my new paid account

• 2 February 2024
  • 4 replies

As I’ve seen elsewhere in the community, this should be an easy task but the instructions that I’ve found so far don’t quite cover my need (unless I’m misunderstanding them).

• I have a Miro board in a free account under one email address. I’m the owner of the board.
  • I just purchased a paid account with another email address associated with it. I’m an editor of the first board using this second email address.
  • I wish to move that board from the free account to the paid account.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 3 February 2024, 03:59

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Chris Carter - I will call your Free Plan email “free email” and the paid plan’s email address “paid email”.

With that in mind, before you want to move a board owned by free email to the paid account, only the board owner, .i.e., free mail, can use the “move to team” action. And, in order for “free email” to move the board to another team, that user would need to be a member of the other team. Since you likely don’t want to add free email to the paid account, therefore incurring an additional license, you can:

1. Add paid email as a team member on your Free Plan team.
  2. While signed in as paid email on the Free Plan team, duplicate the board you wish to move. Once you duplicate the board, paid email will be the owner of that board.
  3. Now that you are the owner of the board and, i.e., paid email is a member of the paid plan, paid email can move the board to the paid plan/team/space. 

I think that should about cover it, but let me know if I was not understanding your situation.

Thank you Robert! I’ll give that a try. That’s exactly the type of sequence that I thought might be required. FYI that I was able to copy/paste the model from the free account to a new board in the paid account, so that got me part of the way. I’m still hoping that your procedure would allow me to transfer all of the current visitors as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Chris Carter - Re:

I’m still hoping that your procedure would allow me to transfer all of the current visitors as well.

If by “visitors” you are referring to anyone accessing the board by the link, after you set the board’s Share setting to “Anyone with the link → Can view”, when you transfer a board between teams, the visitors/public access setting will remain unchanged (unless moving it to an Enterprise Plan subscription where the Company Admin as enabled a sharing policy to restrict  public access). So, when you move a board from the Free to Starter/Business Plan, visitors will still have access to the board – no “transfer of visitors” is required.

More on Visitors access here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-Visitors

And more on Visitors, Guests, and team members here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/7045408248594-Visitors-guests-and-members

I have given access to the board from my free account to my paid account (I created the board in the wrong account - doh!)… yet, within the work account the, even after duplicating the board, it still says its on the free account?

How do I fully export/chaneg ownership of the board to the paid account?

thanks!