Question

JIRA Description markdown rendering

• 3 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello,

Loving Miro, I recently purchased the Team version so I could add Jira, however there are some serious flaws such as the card description fields have no rendering at all (no line breaks, no markdown support which is the official format on jira and so on). Am I missing something?

Example of summary display:

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @edwin,

Thanks for your feedback :blush:

Could you please clarify if you mean the card’s description OR summary field?

Hi Marina, 

Not quite sure, Jira uses “summary” but it seems like it’s “description” on Miro. In any case, when there’s a text field (because there could be custom fields) it would be important to add formatting, at least line breaks. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @edwin,

Here’s what the Support team told me:

There are two different fields: Summary is the title of a Jira Card:

Description is an additional field that is not shown on a card, but can be accessed in the editing mode:

We do not support text formatting in the description field (the Support team has passed this to the team as a feature request), but we do support the line breaks. 

So, you can either add line breaks in Jira or right on the board (Shift+Enter).

Please let us know if it works for you.

Hi Marina, Thanks for the detailed reply. However, there is something you might have missed. If you zoom into the card, the Summary becomes the description. And that is where formatting would make sense. I understand that in the edit field there is no “wysiwyg” editor, because it’s not supposed to replace the JIRA interface, but I’m talking about the preview on the card (see screenshot bellow)

Also, there is no support for unicode characters (emoji and such, see the green button)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

When we zoom in, the description shows up under the summary, right. And in this preview, formatting is lost. 

Support team said that they’ve forwarded your feedback to the Integrations Team (about emoji as well). Thanks for flagging!

The card descriptions are almost impossible to decipher with all the html in between. Your team seems to have fixed this for the “Zoom-In” part discussed in this thread, but please do the same for the opened card!

I get that you don’t want to add a full WYSIWYG-Editor, but at least display what’s there correctly.

Here’s another ticket with a similar feature request: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/add-text-formatting-markdown-to-jira-issue-descriptions-6957