Answered

How do I organise my post-its based on tags and then organise each group into rows and columns of post-its?

• 25 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

I have over 300 post-its randomly scattered over my miro board. The post its have different colours and tags (13 tags). Firstly, I want to separate these post-its based on their tags and then organise each group of post-its into rows and columns (post-its evenly spaced out from each other instead of randomly spaced out)

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 25 February 2021, 02:30

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tanish Chheda - Two options come to mind:

1. Probably the simplest way would be to export all of the sticky note to a CVS file, open in a spreadsheet application (Excel, Google Sheets), sort the sticky notes by tag, and the copy-and-paste the spreadsheet cells back to the board by in groups by tags (note, you would have to add the tag again if it is still needed).

Example - export to CSV:

And how they look in Excel:

Move on exporting to CSV in the Board Export → Export to spreadsheet (CSV) Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572754-Board-Export#h_c0f7083c-5aaa-4b34-9932-f1026c51bf5a

#2 - You could also try is to install the Clusterizer app, which will group sticky notes by their tags - check it out here: https://miro.com/marketplace/clusterizer/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tanish Chheda - Wait. Hold on. I just found a really cool way to do this - I had no idea this existed! (Yes, I’m excited that I learned something new haha). Hopefully this will work for you.

You can use the board’s search functionality to filter objects by tags.

At the top-right corner of the board, click

1. Search
  2. the filter icon
  3. click on Everywhere to open the menu
  4. and then click on tags

And now use Ctrl+click to individually select a group of objects by their tag (I think Cmd+click on a Mac?) and now they are selected and you can drag them off on their own and use the auto-layout feature to make them pretty :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Tanish Chheda 

Here’s one idea that uses Clusterizer then Miro’s auto-layout tool. Video demo below. 
Clusterizer can struggle with too many tags… if the tag combinations are too densely interconnected…  but may work just fine for you. 

+

Auto layout tool (four dots in square) accessed to upper right of any board selection.

Hope it gives some food for thought. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Robert Johnson

I see what you did there… nice find!  It seems the assumption is that one clones off all tags into a grouping based on each tag…  So, if N tags, then N groups and items with K number of tags will be duplicated K# of times into their respective (per-tag) groups. 

I like this approach and have been thinking of adding it as a Clusterizer feature… where its just about … “what’s tagged by each tag? … let me scan by tag...”  

However -- if a person is seeking combinatorial goodness…

Just keep in mind - (nerd alert) - that, 

if… N = Number of Tags, 

then number of tag groupings (clusters / unique sets of tags) = 2^N

So for @ Tanish … at N=13, there are a possible 8192 tag groupings… 

:nerd:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Max Harper:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

:joy: