Going from free to paid plan - what happens to members?

• 11 May 2023
  • 6 replies

Friends - I recently joined a team (Free Plan) with 10 members. The team has been dormant for a while but I want to revive it, starting with getting 1 paid seat either on the Starter or Business plan. 

If my admin upgrades to either Starter or Business with 1 seat, what will happen to the existing members? 

Thank you

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Michael Fankhauser -

As per this Help Center article (https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730273-Upgrading-your-plan), if you didn’t want the existing members to be full access users, they would need to be removed from the new (paid) team during the upgrade process and could then be added back as comment-only, view-only, Guests or Visitors.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Michael Fankhauser - You can also just create a new paid team with one license/seat using the Add teams action (leaving your Free Plan team as is):

Then, you can move or duplicate any boards you want to that new plan. You can also add more paid seats as required for those still only in the Free Plan. You can even delete the Free Plan team completely once it is no longer needed. However, if some of those Free Plan users do not need to create any boards and only edit existing ones, you could use the Visitors feature (if on a Starter or Business Plan) or the Guests feature if on a Business Plan.

Thank you Kiron and Robert for your kind replies.

@Robert Johnson I would love to follow up on your idea. Additional complexity: The person “holding the credit card” is not someone who should be a paying Member of the new Team, just someone to handle billing. Is it possible for a new Starter or Business Team to be created by a non-paying user, and end up with 1 paying Member who did not actually do the Team Creation/Payment?

Thanking you

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson I would love to follow up on your idea. Additional complexity: The person “holding the credit card” is not someone who should be a paying Member of the new Team, just someone to handle billing. Is it possible for a new Starter or Business Team to be created by a non-paying user, and end up with 1 paying Member who did not actually do the Team Creation/Payment?

Thanking you

I was able to find one of my replies from a similar question - have a look here:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/non-editor-team-admin-5798?postid=24201#post24201

Thank you!