Question

External links not opening from Miro desktop app

• 11 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Everyone

Has anyone seen this behavior? When I use Miro in a browser (Chrome or Safari), it works well. When I use Miro in the Miro app for Mac, this feature doesn’t work anymore.

Here’s the specific feature in question:

In the past, if I had text that was a link, I could click on it and a small box would appear with the link. I could then click on that link, and it would open in a new browser window. As mentioned, this works for Miro in a browser, but it stopped working for Miro in the app for Mac.

Ideas?

Thanks and best wishes, Ken

5 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Everyone

I think I just solved my own problem! In the Miro app for the Mac there is a command in the Help menu “Reset application data.” I clicked it - had to login in again - but now everything is working.

Cheers, Ken

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Kenneth Ritley. I just wanted to let you know that the issue you are referring to was not just limited to your desktop app needing its app data reset - although, what you did is actually the best first troubleshooting step when using the desktop app, so kudos! 🌟

Here was a larger post on the issue:

https://community.miro.com/ask-the-community-45/resolved-external-links-not-working-in-miro-desktop-app-14629

Userlevel 3

Thanks @Robert Johnson !

It’s a no-win situation in the world today.

Developers love CI/CD so they push out new versions of client apps like crazy. I must be a dinosaur because I can still remember when you were lucky if a new version came out every 12 - 18 months.

So we all benefit from their fast bugfixes and new features . . . but that introduces a whole new type of bugs that -- just like REAL bugs in the REAL world - “slip through the cracks.”

Maybe we can call them “STAC bugs”: Slipped Through A Crack 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kenneth Ritley 

I must be a dinosaur because I can still remember when you were lucky if a new version came out every 12 - 18 months.

I’m right there with you! Rolling out a new version – depending on the application – only happened once every 1-2 years and usually involved months of testing, e.g., even with the next version of MS Office.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Kenneth Ritley 

I must be a dinosaur because I can still remember when you were lucky if a new version came out every 12 - 18 months.

I’m right there with you! Rolling out a new version – depending on the application – only happened once every 1-2 years and usually involved months of testing, e.g., even with the next version of MS Office.