Answered

Can separate nodes in MindMap join together to one node

• 30 August 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

MindMap is great, however I could not see a way to join individual nodes together. (see image)

Is that possible?

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 30 August 2020, 20:26

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Glenn Shukster. No, this is not possible.

While I have personally never seen this structure within a typical mind map framework, I can see how it would be useful. I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

And while you’re hear, you may want to browse other community user’s submitted ideas and vote for any that you’d like to see added to Miro’s mind maps.

Userlevel 4

Hi

I’m increasingly asking myself the question “why use the mindmap?” Its got so many built in limits that other shapes don’t have.

the means to create the next symbol - hit tab or return - makes me shift hand from mouse to keyboard so Ctrl-D is no harder and drawing a connector to open space prompts for next shape which is almost an easier work-flow

If my shape is a card then I can put info ‘into’ the map with richer function than a MM

MM is the miro item i’ve use the most - What are the counter arguments ? Those than say “the MM is great because…?”

Userlevel 1

Thanks Simon,

“ hit tab or return - makes me shift hand from mouse to keyboard”

I don’t use my mouse for MM when using tab and return then typing content, so not clear on what you are referring to here.  

I am new to Miro and looked at Flowchart, however it seemed clunky.  Could be that I am a novice.  I was not aware of Ctrl-D which will help.  Are there any other hotkeys for Flowcharts?

With MM I can do a realign of the whole MM.  Is there something like this for Flowcharts?

So my reasons for MM is it allows me to quickly get my ideas into the MM vs Flowcharts much faster and it is easier to maintain.  It also takes up less room, which sometimes is better if shapes are not needed.

Would be great if there was a way to convert from MM to Flowchart and vise versa.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Glenn Shukster - Re your final comment about converting mind maps, I did post the following Wish List idea a few days ago - you may want to vote it, add your additional comments about flow char objects, or post your own Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

My idea: Mind Map: Convert nodes to Sticky notes/Cards

With regards to @Simon.Harris’ comment of Ctrl + D, he is referring to the shortcut for creating a duplicate object. The idea would be that you have a flowchart shape, select it and press Ctrl + D and now you immediately have another of the same, to which you could now connect with a line (and change any text of course). In this example, I

• select the shape
  • Ctrl + D to duplicate
  • Press [Enter] to get into Edit mode
  • Ctrl + A to select all text
  • and type my new text.

In addition, you’d want to connect them with the blue dots.

Another shortcut that can help you quickly select a number of objects for dragging/moving around the board, it so hold the Shift key + drag to select a number of objects.

If you haven’t already, I would suggest checking out the Shortcuts and Hotkeys help article.

The Miro mind map is the only tool I ever found that lets me automatically position everything correctly so that it looks nice with the “align child nodes” option. None of the other templates on Miro or in any other similar online tool lets me do this. That’s why I love the mind map the most. But not being able to do this (join nodes back) properly (align child nodes doesn’t actually align these properly because the child node isn’t actually a child to 2 or more nodes, even though they can be manually connected it’s like a fake connection) makes me very sad. I so wish this was an option.

Im a brand new user to Miro, and this is the first stumbling block I fall on when trying to make my first mindmap. It’s been 3 years since this topic was first brought up. Is it now possible to combine seperate branched nodes into a single new point? 

It should be possible, because the mindmap template has a central point that the other nodes fall into to?

+1

I’m currently using manual connections but this does not work as seamless with autoalign as regular mindmap connections.