Skip to main content

Hello,

I have just recently purchased a subscription to Miro. My plan is to essentially use Miro as a main tool for my role as a Business Analyst. My work mainly centers around the ERP - Finance modules. Currently I am working as a Business Analyst in a Finance Transformation program implementing Oracle Cloud ERP. As you can imagine this covers a wide area from mapping processes, collaborations with stakeholders, facilitation to the change impact/assesement etc.

I am not interested in becoming a MIRO expert but know just enough about MIRO so that I can use it effectively for what I do. Any comments or suggestions as to which parts of the MIRO fucntionality would serve my needs would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

Regards,

Raman

Hi @Raman Ratnam 

Interesting question!

I am a big fan of the saying “a fool with a tool is still a fool” - which means no matter what tool your fingers use, your brain will be doing the driving. So without knowing more about your brain, it’s hard to say if Miro is the right tool for you.

But based on what you’ve written:

• mapping processes,
  • collaborations with stakeholders,
  • facilitation to the change impact/assesement etc.

I do all these things with Miro. The reason I like it: SPEED. I can instantly whip out diagrams or collect requirements or document meetings or moderate workshops, much faster than using any other tool - so fast, in fact, that the users can concentrate 100% on the content and not on the drawing.

However, I’ve also seen a lot of users try Miro and then abandon it for a key reason: speed.  Learning a new tool takes time. I’ve found that if you work with Miro, you can not just be fast but LIGHTENING fast. But . . . it won’t happen in 1 hour but more like 10 hours. Another term for this: muscle memory.

Let me give a concrete example: for the advanced courses I teach, my students are already familiar with PowerPoint. Getting them to use Miro for “sporadic” group assignments actually blocks their thought processes, so I stick with PowerPoint. But for the software projects I manage, I insist on using Miro from Day 1. This means the students gain the needed Miro “fluency” early, and the rest of the project benefits from all the features Miro offers.

Final thought: Miro does offer diagramming tools. Quite frequently I avoid them, and I create my own diagrams with shapes. The reason is that I often have special requirements, and by creating diagrams with shapes -- instead of the built-in Miro tools -- it gives me more flexibility. But . . . the diagramming features of Miro have become HUGELY powerful in the past releases, so I would definitely encourage you to “take a test drive,” use Miro for a sample project, and see if it can meet your needs.

I hope this helps!

Hello Kenneth,

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my query; it’s very much appreciated.I will take everything that you have said above on-board and follow your recommendations as they make complete sense to me.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Raman