Skip to main content
Question

"Anyone with the link: Can edit" asks user to "Join other team"

• 15 July 2024
  • 8 replies

When I try to share a board with colleagues who aren’t on my Miro team (and who don’t even have Miro accounts), I set the Sharing to "Anyone with the link: Can edit" and send a URL. Some colleagues can open it in a browser without a problem. Others get prompted to “Join other team” and this is really frustrating because I just want them to go directly to the board and start using it. They don’t need to join a team. 

I’m on the Education plan. This scenario has happened with different boards and different colleagues. For one colleague, using incognito mode on browser solved the problem, but not for another.

This is what my board settings looks like:

and here’s what some users get instead of being taken straight to the board:

I know this has been asked before but it’s been a while and I didn’t find an explanation for why this happens only sometimes and what a reliable fix is.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MichelleF - While there may be pockets of people at Stanford who have applied for the Miro Education Plan, there may also be an Enterprise subscription set up with domain control configured for the stanford.edu domain, which could explain some users being prompted to join teams.

That being said, I am curious about the face that, in your screenshot, I see the “+ Create a new team” action which, to my knowledge, should not be present if a user is being recognized as a part of an Enterprise subscription.

It is possible that, even though some users didn’t have a Miro account, due to what a non-registered user can see the first time they land at miro.com as an anonymous user/visitor of a public board, they may have actually tried to sign up and were presented with other teams that were discoverable by the @standford.edu domain.

In the end, I think we’ll need the support team to confirm what is going on as they will have more insights into subscriptions related to your domain.

If you are on the Education Plan, you likely won’t have access to the Contact Support form, but can you try these steps and let me know?

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-contact-Miro-Support#h_01F010RXA0E1S9C0WFQYX75R6C

Userlevel 1

Thanks so much for your quick reply. As far as I know there is no Enterprise Miro subscription here. I don’t have the Contact Support option (see below). I want to share the board with colleagues without them having to go through the steps of signing up for an Education account, or even a free account. When you say “due to what a non-registered user can see the first time they land at miro.com as an anonymous user/visitor of a public board” what would they be seeing? Some colleagues confirm they can go right to the board, they don’t see any prompting to sign up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MichelleF 

When you say “due to what a non-registered user can see the first time they land at miro.com as an anonymous user/visitor of a public board” what would they be seeing?

Some of the popups/messaging to free or non-registered “anyone with the link” users can have buttons/links that will lead users to signing up, even though it was not absolutely required. Anyway, let’s assume that is not the case here.

So, again, when I see that Miro is prompting a user to join other teams created by @standford.edu users, then Miro clearly has some sort of context as to who this user is or where they are coming from. Assuming that the only communications/links they received were from you, and it was just a URL that you copy-pasted to them, e.g., miro.com/app/board/uXjVP11111E=/, and they were not signed in, then Miro should not know a domain they are associated with.

Again, assuming there is no Enterprise subscription and no IP-based authentication in place (to know who these users are solely based on their IP), let’s do one more test to see what Miro can show you.

Warning: You are going to test adding one of these users (who reported seeing that Join-another-team screen) to your Education Plan using their @stanford.edu email address, so you may want to give them the heads up that you are testing something as they will receive an email that you are inviting you to their team (but only as a test – you can immediately revoke the invitation). 

If you go to your Team profile → Team users page and invite them to your team by their email address.

If there is no Miro account profile associated with their email address, you will see the name "Invited User" above their email address – this proves* their is not account associated with their email address and the fact they are seeing the message to join a team by their domain should be investigated.

However, if there is a profile for that address, you will see the name they (or someone lese) entered when creating their account.

The exception here is, of course, if they entered the account name "Invited User", but no one (besides someone like me) would even think of doing that.

Are you willing to test that out for one of these individuals who is getting that prompt?

Userlevel 1

Thanks again! I tried it, and after I invited the user to my Team, she is listed on my Team page with her full name, not Invited User.

So does this mean that she created a Miro account already, and is logged in to it?

More info: When the user opened the public link I sent, the user was not prompted to create a Miro account.

The user says “I've never used Miro that I know of. It looks like it automatically authenticated me through Google.”

P.S. how are you making those nice checkered “cover up” rectangles to cover private info in your screenshots? looks good!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MichelleF - Ahhh, our digital sleuthing has paid off! So, at some point, it sounds like they saw the "sign in with Google" and just clicked it. Then Miro saw there was no account associated with that address and the account creation process was initiated. 

If they go ahead and click "+Create a new team", then it will just create a Free Plan space for them. Then, the next time they click a link from you while they are signed in to Miro, they will not receive that "fist time account setup" prompts, which Miro is showing them as they do not yet have a team space associated with their account profile.

As for the blurring out effect, I use Snagit for all of my screenshots, which has Blur as one of the tools. I like Snagit as I can also created GIFs, and screen recordings.

Userlevel 1

Thanks again this is so helpful!

Do you recommend warning people not to click “sign in with Google”?

Is it even possible to send someone a public link without them ever seeing the “sign in with Google”, and just going straight to the board? 

I was trying to avoid people having to create yet...another...account. Is it a best practice to ask people to create a Miro account in order to collaborate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@MichelleF

Is it even possible to send someone a public link without them ever seeing the “sign in with Google”, and just going straight to the board? 

You have been following the right steps all along, however, Miro will continue to present non-registered users with sign up actions/marketing, which you will not be able to stop/block, nor will you stop users from “clicking things they shouldn’t”, e.g.:

Is it a best practice to ask people to create a Miro account in order to collaborate?

From a Miro-growth strategy, yes! But, users creating Free Plans and inviting unlimited users to those teams which ultimately leads to “view-only” boards after surpassing the 3-editable boards limit will surely happen, leading to frustrations.

Userlevel 1

Thanks again for the helpful info!