Q: what's it called - share by link > default view?

• 6 October 2021
  • 2 replies

Sometimes (not always, not when I try) … when I share by link, I am asked to set the focus that other people who visit the board will see. (e.g. Zoom in, pan left… this is what I want them to see when they first open the board from this link.)

First, what is this feature called so that I can search for it in the (dense) user manual?

Second, can I change it? Can I create 2 links that have 2 different focal settings?

Third, I created a link with and set focal settings (included Frames 1, 2 & 3)… and then moved a few things around, created Frame 4, and now it is focusing on Frame 4 (the wrong thing). … What are these “Focal Settings” keying off of / tied to? (Fwiw, I know I can open a Frame’s details and get a link to it.) 

Thank you

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Justapersona -

You have the ability to set the start view for a new visitor/collaborator to a board from the board settings menu. However, that start view is only for the first time someone visits the board. From that point on, Miro will remember where they last were on the board and bring them back to that point when they re-visit the board. 

I don’t believe you can have different board URLs as the board URL is the unique identifier for it. 

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Justapersona 

Sometimes (not always, not when I try) … when I share by link, I am asked to set the focus that other people who visit the board will see. (e.g. Zoom in, pan left… this is what I want them to see when they first open the board from this link.)

First, what is this feature called so that I can search for it in the (dense) user manual?

I have noticed this over the years and never really payed attention to the specific scenario that triggers Miro to ask you to set the start view- there’s no time like the present, right?

It appears to happen when you add someone directly to a board:

Once I add them and click Send Invitations (on the next screen), I get this:

As for multiple start locations/moving frames around, you may want to explore linking directly to objects using the Internal and external linking feature.