Email Notifications not Working for Non-Team Members with MIRO Accounts

• 2 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I have a paid plan for Miro to collaborate with clients. I have shared the board with them and they use Google SSO to sign up. They are not team members because they don't need to create boards and such. We go through the presentation and collaboration fine (they are able to apply comments). But whenever I respond to those comments, they do not receive an email notification. I have waited a couple days to see if it was just the batch process. When I asked them, they all have email notifications "On". I have also confirmed that they are Following the threads they create (as expected). Please help explain what I'm missing, because they would like to get these notifications.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nick Stone,

It’s good you’ve also submitted the support ticket - the Support team should be able to help with this issue.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Nick Stone - If these users are non-team members and accessing your boards as Guest Editors, i.e., you have shared a link to the board and the share settings are set to Anyone with the link "Can edit", then as per the the following help center article it is expected that they would not receive notifications:

https://helpnot.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-Anonymous-Guest-Editors

The list of things that guest editors can't do:

Hi @Nick Stone,

It’s good you’ve also submitted the support ticket - the Support team should be able to help with this issue.  

@Marina Thank you. Yes I have submitted a support ticket :slight_smile: . I will wait for some help on that ticket.

@Nick Stone - If these users are non-team members and accessing your boards as Guest Editors, i.e., you have shared a link to the board and the share settings are set to Anyone with the link "Can edit", then as per the the following help center article it is expected that they would not receive notifications:

https://helpnot.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-Anonymous-Guest-Editors

Thank you @Robert Johnson for the reply. I have the share settings set to Anyone with the link “Can Comment” (not sure if the distinction matters). I have previously reviewed this linked article and it makes clear that this involves Guest Editors. In my use case, the Commenters are not Guests (they already have Miro accounts via SSO and are shown with their names and emails in the UI). They are simply not team members in my Miro team.

I am awaiting a reply from the Support and Product Teams on this issue. I will post their reply when available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Guests are those who are on a board that belongs in a team to which they are not a member of. In addition to not being on a team, Anonymous Guests are those who are accessing a board while not being signed into a Miro account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

To see this in action, I invited someone with a Miro account to a board that I set to Anyone with the link “Can edit”. When they arrive on the board, their name shows up, but under Miro knows they are not a team member and therefore displays “Guest editor”:

If they were a team member, their title would be Editor. I am Board owner

If I change the board to Anyone with the link “Can comment”, my guest’s role is shown as Commenter:

And Can view: