Board Access Rights

• 3 December 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi out there,

maybe someone can help me...

1. I set the access rights to “view” for a specific board within a specific team in my consultant plan. 
    However, all team members can still edit.
  2. I disabled after the workshop the day pass. All users have been set to FREE and afters deleted out of the team. I assumed, that they will have view mode.
  3. If a board is set to “no access” still the team members can see and have access to the board?

That’s weired…
I appreciate any help. Thnx so much in advance!

Regards and have a good day,
Knut

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Knut Menzel - There are multiple levels of access:

You can set the board to Anyone at [TEAM NAME] → No access, but then set the public access to View/Comment/Edit etc. and anyone with the link (including your team members will also have that access). The public access settings override the team settings.

Have a read of this post:

https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/private-vs-shared-board-1897

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

And something else you can do:

1. Set the Team access to → No access
  2. Create a project
  3. Add the board to that project
  4. Add team members to that project
  5. Give those team members Edit access at the project level

Now only those team members who were added to that project will see and be able to edit those boards.

Thnx for your comment.

Actually I am new to all this stuff. My simple question is: 

I have a consultant plan. There is a Team “T” and within “T” is a project “P” with board “B”. I have invited to the Team “T” collaborators “C1”… “Cn”. They all are ocasional users in team “T”. 

Board “B” ist set via the share functionality to “can view”.

As a consequence, from my point of view:
1. “C1” … “Cn” should have access “B” for “view only” and not for editing
2. “C1” … “Cn” should consume NO daypasses until “B” ist set to “edit”
This would be exactly what I intend to do. With other words: during the training all participants can edit the board and consume a daypass the day of the workshop. Afterwards they are set to view only and participants can view only without consuming daypasses until I set the board to edit again or finish everything by deleting the users out of the team.

BUT: Whatever I try “C1” … “Cn” can still edit and day passes will still be consumed independent of the access rights of the board.

What is to be done?

I again looking forward for any help.
Regards Knut

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Knut Menzel - First, I will assume you are planning on using day passes vs guest editor access (with a password) so that you have more control over access.

I get what you’re trying to do and I think the scenario you have outlined will work, but I will ask @Kiron Bondale to chime in as he has more experience with the Consultant Plan.

Let’s note the following first from the Day Passes for Business and Consultant Plans help center article:

Day Passes are used only when a user opens a board with Owner or Editor access rights. If you collaborate on a board as a Viewer or Commenter, the Day Passes count stays intact.

In my Consultant Plan, if I were to:

1. Create Team A and then in that team
  2. Create Board A and set it’s share settings to:
  3. Add Kiron and Knut to Team A as Occasional license users:
  4. Kiron and Knut would now seem Team A in their Miro dashboard and be able to open up and view Board A, but I would not be charged for a day pass.
  5. Then I change the share settings of Board A to the following:
  6. And now when Kiron or Knut access the board, a day pass will be consumed by each.

I was curious as I typed this up and basically set up the scenario and invited one of my Gmail/Miro Free Plan users as an Occasional license use to a team with a board set per step # 2 and I wasn’t charged for a day pass. But I’m not going to test step # 6 :wink: