Question

Unique start view for each user

• 8 March 2024
  • 2 replies

I have a Miro board I am using for a university class, there are many students (≈90) in this Miro board, all populating it with lots of their own content.

Essentially each student has a long (currently empty) “lane” which they will, over the course of the unit, populate with research, brainstorming, sketches, prototypes (their design process) as they complete various design projects. 

I am trying to organise it so that it is not completely overwhelming, for students/staff to enter. One way I was hoping to do this was to suggest students “pin” (or “set as start view”) their own “lane”. What I’m not sure of, is:

A: Can individuals have their own “set start view” that only corresponds to them

B: Is this the best way to ensure that when they open up the Miro, they will immediately be in their own work, rather than having to scroll around through thousands of images looking for their own work?

Many thanks!

-colin

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi @Colin Trechter and welcome to the Community!

A: Can individuals have their own “set start view” that only corresponds to them

While not explicitly, the board will always load to where they last were when they closed it. Keep in mind, this is accomplished using cookies, so if they clear their cookies, the board will load to the default start view.

B: Is this the best way to ensure that when they open up the Miro, they will immediately be in their own work, rather than having to scroll around through thousands of images looking for their own work?

Probably your best solution at this time would be to use Miro’s internal linking feature. With this feature, you can select an option and then select Copy link:

Then, send the student that link and when the board loads, they are immediately taken to that location (it should happen instantly, rather then a move/pan action).

You could then repeat that for each student. They would also have to use their specific link each time they load the board or, as I mentioned earlier, they will be taken the the last place they were when they closed the board.

More on linking here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017572354-Internal-and-external-linking

If you wanted to create an index/table of content of all students links, you could put them in one frame on the board, or you could use the visual notes panel as a place to get to from anywhere on the board.

Wish List Idea post

I didn’t see an existing Wish List idea post for a feature where a user could set their own home/start view location, so I’d recommend adding this as an Idea in the Wish List category by following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know.

If you do create a Wish List Idea post, I would also recommend that you post a link to it back here, so that future readers of this post can quickly get to and vote for your Idea.

Thank you so much Robert, that was really thorough and helpful!