Guest access to board without creating an account?

• 19 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello

We have recently purchased a Starter license for our business, we regularly run virtual webinars with participants outside of our organisation and I wondered if there is a way guests can access and edit/contribute to boards we provide a link for without having to sign-up for a Miro account?

If so, would we need an upgraded license to be able to do this?

Thanks

Courtney

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@EFG Jamboards - First, to clarify, and excluding Free Plans, there are three core types of board participants:

1. Members – Those with paid seats/licenses. Members can create boards and projects.
  2. Visitors – These are anyone – registered Miro account users or unregistered/anonymous users – who are accessing the board. Basically, anyone who has the board link and an Internet connection. The Visitors feature is available for all paid/Education plans.
  3. Guests – Anyone with a Miro account profile (Free Plan users included) whom you have either added to the board, i.e., in the share settings, or shared the “Guest link” with (again, int the share settings). Benefits of this feature:
    1. You can review who has access to the board, and assign them different permissions, e.g., Jim can Edit, but Ted can only view.
    2. These users will see your team space listed in their own Miro dashboard, along with any boards you have added them to as a Guest. But, they cannot see/create other boards or projects.
      Note: The Guests feature is only available on the Business and Enterprise plans.

More on Visitors, Guests, and members here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/7045408248594-Visitors-guests-and-members

And you can compare all plans here: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730233-Plans-and-features-available

Note: The Business Plan also allows for creating unlimited team spaces, and offers SSO (plus other features).

And now to answer your question:

if there is a way guests can access and edit/contribute to boards we provide a link for without having to sign-up for a Miro account?

Yes, as a Starter Plan subscriber, you can use the Visitors feature for users with no Miro account.

Hi Robert

Thank you for your answer, it’s really helpful! I had a play around with it before your response and found the answers I was looking for but I really appreciate the detail.

As I’m continuing to trial things and getting colleagues involved without a Miro account to test things, there are a couple of different points I’d like some assistance with. We’ve noticed that visitors to boards without Miro accounts have limited access to the toolbar e.g. uploads, Google images etc and cannot copy and paste content across a board.

If we upgraded our subscription, would this solve the problem or would visitors need to sign-up to a Miro plan regardless? It could become a problem for our participants having to create a Miro account to access these features on boards.

Many thanks

Courtney

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@EFG Jamboards 

Thank you for your answer, it’s really helpful! I had a play around with it before your response and found the answers I was looking for but I really appreciate the detail.

You’re welcome!

We’ve noticed that visitors to boards without Miro accounts have limited access to the toolbar e.g. uploads, Google images etc. and cannot copy and paste content across a board.

The limited number of apps/tools is expected. When an anonymous visitor, i.e., unregistered user, is on the board, they will have very limited tool access. However, if they create a Free Miro account, they will have access to some more tools - I have noted the same tools are present regardless if they are on the board as a signed-in Visitor, or a Guest (which requires that you have a Business Plan - again, though, there are other benefits to being a “Guests”, which can be found in a link I previously shared in this post.

More on the limited tools for non-team members → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012524559-Collaboration-with-Visitors#h_01FHZ57SZWG9ZXSSTGWB0Z0K14

Google Images app

This will only be available for team members: 

More on that here → https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/6305633855378-Google-Images

Re:

and cannot copy and paste content across a board.

And editor should be able to copy-paste objects, unless they are locked. And then they are locked, they should still be able to select the objects and duplicate them using Ctrl/Cmd-D. Unless, however, the protected locked feature was applied.

If we upgraded our subscription, would this solve the problem or would visitors need to sign-up to a Miro plan regardless? It could become a problem for our participants having to create a Miro account to access these features on boards.

If your participants need need access to more tools, they will need to create a free Miro account prior to the session.