Hide objects by role

Related products: Permissions

We create boards internally and use them for road mapping. We love collaborating with our customers but we also want to included internal information in the one place rather than making multiple boards.

I’d like to suggest the ability to set the visibility of cards and frames so that only certain user groups can see it.

Or, at the least, make it so that guest visitors cannot see that content.

Use case example being a roadmap where you include card(s) with the effort in that is for internal consumption only, and not for external or guest users to see.

(apologies if this is a double up but I couldn’t find anything like this)

Hey @Brinary Code welcome to the Miro Community.

If you are the board Owner, you can absolutely hide content from other people. You can do that by putting a frame around the content, then using the Hide/Show Frame feature.

You can find more details about that feature here.

Hi Paul,

I’ve seen that feature. but I want everyone in my organization to see the cards. What I would like is if I make a board available to anyone to view/edit, that I can restrict them from seeing certain cards.

Ah, my apologies for the misunderstanding. That feature isn’t currently available as access is at the board level rather than on individual objects (Frames are the exception). You are more than welcome to add it to the Miro Wish List by going here, which will allow the rest of the community to like/upvote it and potentially get it added to Miro’s development roadmap.

@Brinary Code - Thanks for posting. There is curently no role/user-level object permissions in Miro. As @Paul Snedden mentioned, there is the ability for the board owner/co-ower to hide frames, so you could put cards in those hidden frames, but then no one else in your organzation could unhide the frames (only the board owner/co-owner role could do this).

I see this as a useful feature; one where you could hide objects by role. I had a look and cannot find an exisitng idea in the community, so If you want, I can more this post to the Wish List category and following the Wish List post guidelines, we could give it a more encompassing name, e.g., “Hide objects by role”. If you agree, let me know and I will move it!

For future ideas, you can select “Wish List Idea” when posting:

Hey @Robert Johnson, That would be good please. I think it would be very useful for companies that collaborate with clients and 3rd parties.

@Brinary Code - Post moved and renamed. Please add your vote!

@Brinary Code and @Robert Johnson I wrote a wish very similar to this before I saw this post. The idea includes expands on this one. I also upvoted this post :)

Here’s how I described the idea:

This feature allows board owners and editors to have three (maybe more) levels of visibility control: high, middle, and low access. High access users can view all frames on the board, middle access users can view certain frames, and low access users are restricted to only specific frames, whether in the context of a presentation or otherwise. This feature ensures that users have access to the relevant information they might need or should focus on, while also maintaining security and privacy for sensitive information. The feature also includes the ability to draw a boundary around frames to make macro visibility selections for certain user levels, so that the process of setting visibility levels does not require making one selection at a time.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment about this feature. We appreciate your patience. Our team is reviewing this idea as it continues to be open for votes and comments.
For those coming across this idea, if you feel this would be helpful for you or your business, please be sure to vote for it and leave a comment about your use case to help our team scope this request!

Thank you,
Miro Community Team