Use Rest API to get a list of board member names (in project) ?

Badge +1

Hello. I am the owner of a team (on an education account) and would like to list the *names* of the people who have created or modified items on one of my boards in my team.

Setup: The board is inside a project (= folder), I am the board owner, and three other users are part of the project and therefore have access to the board and have edited it.

Problem 1: The Rest API v2 only lists items with user IDs (not names anymore, as it did in v1). I need the names for those users.
Problem 2 (potential bug): Rest API v2 user-connections query is supposed to return all board members, but it only lists myself, not the other three users who have access to the board and have already edited it. Shouldn't they also be board members?

Problem 3: It looks like with an education account I don't have access to the “list team members” functionality.

Any ideas? I have the user IDs of my team members and I need to map them to names.

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Carola Wenk,

Thanks for reaching out about this. Regarding getting more user details in V2, the recommended approach would be to leverage the endpoints outlined in this guide:
https://developers.miro.com/docs/get-user-info-and-email 

However, as you touched on in your 3rd point, I’m afraid this requires and enterprise plan.

As for your second questions, can you confirm which exact endpoint you’re using? (Either the url or doc) This will help to take a closer look.

Thanks!
Will

Badge +1

Hi @Will Bishop ,

Thank you for the super quick response! 

For the second question, I’m using the URL as described here (in python):
https://developers.miro.com/reference/get-board-members

(Let me know if you’d like an example board ID where this situation happens.)

Carola

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for confirming @Carola Wenk!

To clarify, did you share this board with these particular members, or did they simply access it through the board URL? If it’s the latter, I don’t believe they’ll be returned by the GET Board Members endpoint. You would need to explicitly share it with them (possible via this endpoint).

Let me know if this might be the case.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi @Will Bishop . The board is shared automatically with the project members, just by virtue of them being members of the project. See screenshot below. 

Badge +1

I need to share many boards with members of a project. That's why I created the project so that I don't have to go in and manually share each board with every project member all the time.

Shouldn't the get board members functionality show the list of Miro users who have access to the board, including those from projects?

If not, how can I get a list of (name,ID) pairs for all members of a project? I need this so that I can make sense of the IDs that are returned for the activities on the board.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey @Carola Wenk,

Thanks for the extra context—I see what you mean. I’m checking on this internally, and will follow up with you here shortly!

Thanks,
Will

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Carola Wenk,

After confirming the expected behavior with our Engineering team, they confirmed that this endpoint is intended to return only individual members with whom a board has been explicitly shared with. I’m afraid it doesn’t support members who have access via the team.

However, to answer your last question, you can get a list of members under a given team via this endpoint:
https://developers.miro.com/reference/enterprise-get-team-members

This will return their IDs as well. Note that this requires an Enterprise plan.

I hope it helps to clarify,
Will

Badge +1

Dear @Will Bishop . Thank you for the clarification. As I wrote above, I am on an education plan.

Unfortunately, the change to now only return IDs renders the get_items_on_board functionality unusable, if there is no way to tie IDs to names. 

Is there a way I can request a listing of all IDs of users in my project or on my education team? Even if it's just by email? I need this for a class I'm teaching in fall; so there is still some time, but I need to know if this is doable as Miro is an integral part of my course design.

Thanks again.

Best,

Carola

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Carola Wenk,

Thank you very much for taking the time to lay out your use case. I better understand the limitation you’re facing now.

I’ve gone ahead and raised this with our product team to see how we might be able to support more easily retrieving these sorts of user details without an Enterprise plan on V2, and you’ve raised a really good point.

I’ll be happy to update you here as this evolves.

Thanks,
Will

Badge +1

Thank you @Will Bishop. Much appreciated!! Looking forward for updates.

Best,

Carola