[RESOLVED] Sharing board content with anonymous guests

Userlevel 3

I have completed all the recommended steps to share my board with guest users and that part works - but no matter what I do the download option on embedded PDF documents remains greyed out - they can view the document but can’t download it.

Can anyone help?

Robert Johnson 2 years ago

Latest update:

I'm glad to tell you that our team has just released the fix for publicly shared boards, so now guest users should be able to download content from your boards without signing into Miro (please, make sure to set the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access).

I have tested this on my end and anonymous/unregistered users are now able to download files again.

View original

50 replies

Userlevel 3

Response today from Miro

"I've shared your feedback with our Product team and we have already discussed the issue. We do acknowledge that for Guest editors to be able to download board content is important part of your use case (for hosting meetings & workshops), so I'm glad to tell you that the team have made a decision to roll this change back, so Guest editors will soon be able to download board content again without the need to sign in (however, I'm afraid that we can't share any ETA at the moment).

Thank you a lot for helping us to make Miro better! Please, be assured that your feedback is always much appreciated and reaches the right people."

Userlevel 3

Response from me:

Hi

This answers my question - but doesn’t solve my problem.  I don’t want to force my guests to create a Miro account.  Last week we had to ditch an entire workshop because each participant who needed to join had to sign in and their firewall wouldn’t accept the email from Miro with their code - which is also a process I don’t recall when I first signed up.

I am trying to use Miro with my clients because I love it - but I have now had 4 clients who have asked NOT to use it because of such issues as this.  I think Miro will sell itself or be sold on by paid up users - you don’t need to force everyone to sign up and in fact by doing so you are putting potential users off.  In my case the vast majority of people you are forcing me to get signed up will NEVER use Miro again as they are front line workers - so what’s the point - and you are losing sales with the overarching organisation because it’s too difficult to get people in.

Please reconsider - you have just rendered what should have been an easy access noticeboard/community board for busy emergency service workers - giving them the ability to download training content for themselves whilst on the go - into a complex process that will put many of them off using it.  Not good Miro

Rachel

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update:

I'm glad to tell you that our team has just released the fix for publicly shared boards, so now guest users should be able to download content from your boards without signing into Miro (please, make sure to set the Board Content Settings to Anyone with the board access).

I have tested this on my end and anonymous/unregistered users are now able to download files again.

Userlevel 3

Thanks for coming back to me so quick - yep tried all that - it’s all set up correctly as far as I can see but the download button still greyed out - and other ideas?

The account is a consultant account.  The settings are all set to allow people outside the team access.  The board is set on permissions to allow anyone with access…  I’m at a loss

Userlevel 3

OMG

You must be a miracle worker from afar

I have taken screen shots all over - and then came to the menu...and the down load option is now ungreyed  ????  I changed absolutely nothing>?!

Userlevel 3

Ah….dur - no that because I'm logged in as me.  Fool I am

You can't screen shot the menu - it disappears - but it is greyed out on the incognito

Userlevel 3

Userlevel 3

Nope - it wasn't  - I was a fool looking at the wrong tab ;-)

Userlevel 3
Its set like this

Userlevel 3
And like this

Userlevel 3

I want them to be able to download the PDF - that's the point - the option on incognito screen is greyed out - everything else is there but not that - can’t screenshot as it disappears when you do the screenshot buttons - on a Mac

Userlevel 3

Yay - so I'm not going mad then!  All good - thanks.  It's a pain as I wanted to use it with a client but we don’t launch for another couple of weeks so m maybe it’ll be fixed by then 

Userlevel 3

Thanks for your help Robert

Userlevel 1

Very helpful, thank you!

Userlevel 3

Yes they can - but on a mobile the link automatically takes them not to the board, but to their log in screen

Userlevel 3

No password on the board. 

The link literally takes him to the sign in board with option to sign up or sign in - he has to close that window, open an incognito window and copy and paste the link to get in

by the way - agree with your suggestion and have added my comment to it. Don’t know how to vote

Userlevel 3

Dur. Voting was easy. Sorry. Have now voted 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - Wow. This is VERY disappointing news!

We're sorry if it causes any inconvenience for you! I'm going to share your feedback with our Product team to make sure they are aware that this behaviour confused you. 

calling your customer “confused” isn’t great practice

Yes, 100% agreed! What is confusing is the lack of change management. In addition to the conflicting wording you have pointed out around “Anyone with the board access”, surely there are a number of other wording instances that will continue to contradict the system behaviour and confuse people.

I see that they have caught another one in the past hew hours by updating the Collaboration with Guest Editors Help Center article as per the below screenshot.

I’m just at a loss for words. This is very disappointing.

I suppose that you will be forced to use a service like Google Drive (who still allows for ANYONE with the link) to view and download a file. You could add your files to Google Drive and link to them from the board. 

Userlevel 3

I’m gonna try to get people to log in - but to do so they have to get past that annoying request to set up a team - which is nonsensical but the files will also be accessible via the client intranet so can always link there too. 

shame tho. And that addition is clearly in response to my complaint. And it’s still not clear

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - You need to adjust the Board content settings so that Anyone with the board access can copy/download content from the board.

You can learn more about how to do this in the Board Content Settings Help Center article. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - To test that you have the correct setting changes in place, open the board from a private/incognito browser window. I ce on the board as a guest, you should be able to download the embedded PDF.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - can you share screenshots of the board Share settings popup and also the sharing settings, Permissions tab, Board content settings settings?

And also the context menu that appears above the PDF when it is selected (while on the board as a guest)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - Sometimes info have effect. So, it's working then? You're all good?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - My settings:

The board:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lKa2-fA=/

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson keep going... You have to go into Sharing settings, permissions. Check the help center article that I sent ;)