[RESOLVED] Sharing board content with anonymous guests

Show first post

50 replies

Userlevel 3

My aim is that guest users can edit and download as its a community noticeboard - but only people with the link and a password which I haven't turned on yet

They can access and edit - and view the `pdf but not download it

Userlevel 3

Yes I've done all that

Its set as anyone with access too the board 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - if they shouldn't be able to download the PDF, then maybe set to the following:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - All of your settings look good. What does the user see when they access the board and select the PDF?

It should be like in my test board:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - Hold on.. it is greyed out for me too in an incognito window. I think it is a bug. 

I will turn this post into a support ticket. You ahod get an email as soon as I do that. Please update this post with any updates from Miro support. I will come back here and leave any updates that I get from other users. 

Userlevel 3

Interesting observation - when I log in on the link for the board through incognito / private window it opens as comment only - which might explain the lack of the download button - and yet the board as far as I’m aware is public shared - as per the screen shots ~I showed you.  Am I missing something?  It requires sign in on my husbands phone - even though its a public link…?

Explain that one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - If the board is set to Anyone with the link → Can edit/comment/view, then it will not require sign in. If you have put a password on the board, they will have to enter that, but they do not have to sign in - NOTE: the working on the “password” modal is misleading:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Now that it’s not 1:45am and I am on my laptop, here are my board’s Share settings:

And here is what an anonymous guest, i.e., anyone not signed in to a Miro account sees - this is the same behaviour as when Anyone with the link is set to Can view, comment, or edit:

However, if I load the board as a signed-in Miro user who is NOT a member of the team where the above board resides, I am able to to download the PDF:

Again, here is the board - test it when both signed in and incognito:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_lKa2-fA=/

Userlevel 3

I fixed the “comment only” mode - no idea where that came from!

...and the reason my husband was asked to sign in I think is the fact he has a Miro account - but wasn’t signed in. 

its not very user friendly tho. Surely people with a Miro account that they aren’t signed into should still have the choice to log in to the board without signing in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Surely people with a Miro account that they aren’t signed into should still have the choice to log in to the board without signing in?

They do. Try it from an incognito window.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - The overall experience for non-signed in users, i.e., anonymous guests, needs to be more client-focused and less Miro-growth focused. If you agree, I would suggest that you vote for my idea:

https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/configure-board-defaults-and-remove-ads-2675

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Rachel Jackson - When I browse to the board link on my Android phone, in the Chrome mobile browser, and I have a password on the board, I get this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

As long as:

1. the board’s Share settings are set to one of the following three options:
  2. And they are clicking on a board link, e.g., it has “/board/” in the link, following by “o9J_”:

Then then the board should open as the board is publicly accessible.

If any of your board participants are being forced to either sign in or go through an incognito window, then a separate Miro support ticket should be opened.

Userlevel 3

I have no idea how to raise a ticket...but yes the link clicks him to the sign in page - and the linkdoes include the string you described 

Userlevel 3

In fact if I log out of my Miro account the linkforces me to the log in screen too

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

learning center → Get help → Support:

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Here’s the full How to Contact Miro Support Help Center article:

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020185799-How-to-Contact-Miro-Support

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

In fact if I log out of my Miro account the linkforces me to the log in screen too

What are the current sharing settings of the board?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The only scenario where I am able to force your board to prompt me to sign in first is if I select the “Miro mobile app” as the destination when clicking the link from my mobile Gmail app AND I am not currently signed in to my account in the mobile app - apparently you cannot open a board anonymously in the Miro mobile app.

Userlevel 3

I’m gonna work on that being a rare scenario. 
my mobile didn’t ask whether I wanted to open in the app or not. It just went to the sign in screen

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

So far, is this only happening for you and your husband? If so, are you both connected to the same network before you go onto the internet? Perhaps there is firewall or VPN software interfering?

Userlevel 3

UPDATE

Replay from Miro:

The thing is, that in order to download board content, Guest editors need to be signed into Miro. This is also highlighted in our Help Center article about Board Content Settings:
?name=inline23820978.png
We're sorry if it causes any inconvenience for you! I'm going to share your feedback with our Product team to make sure they are aware that this behaviour confused you. 

Userlevel 3

Aside from mentioning that calling your customer “confused” isn’t great practice - I’ve pointed out that using the word “registered” once in the Board Content page does not escape this fact:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Oof.  This is a really big deal.  I have been working on a project to use Miro as a central hub to house learning content for a large global humanitarian network.  Users will almost always be guests only and will join the board the sole purpose of downloading content.  I am going to need to rethink our whole approach.  I’m glad you both caught it early @Rachel Jackson and @Robert Johnson 

@Alisa Oyler take note...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Interesting that as an anonymous user, when I try to download I get this notice, which is apparently not true!