How to place a video on a Miro board

• 16 March 2020
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey there!

Looking for a way to place a video on a Miro board? :projector:

You can upload the video to a video-sharing platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and simply paste the video link on a board using the shortcuts Ctrl/Cmd+C/Ctrl/Cmd+V. The media will be displayed right on the board!

:bulb: Please keep in mind that the visual preview is only shown if the source service settings allow it: private videos are not displayed on Miro boards but you can go to the video source.

21 replies

What to do if I need make a board out of private videos? If I will upload them to YouTube and make them private, they woudn’t work, but I can’t add them directly. 

Userlevel 4

@Catherine Slyoskina - if you set the video to be ‘unlisted’ instead of private that definitely works.

Also if i take a private video, add a “can view” id list to YT and use the URL in the email sent by youTube to create an iFrame and view it that way IT WORKS! but there are a lot of moving parts and i’ve not tried any of the combinations of factors that could break it

Your right tat hprivate videos don’t add directly - i suspect the miro app could do that if you knew what credentials it presents to youtube when seeking access

Userlevel 1

Can I not upload a video directly from my desktop? I read it needs to be a MPG, yet that doesn’t work…

SOS!

Userlevel 1

Can I not upload a video directly from my desktop? I read it needs to be a MPG, yet that doesn’t work…

SOS!

Is there any method to include a Video from my PC to the Miro Board?

LG Dennis.

Userlevel 1

I want to upload a video directly from my desktop to my Miro board, how do I do this? An error occurs ‘file not supported’ - it’s a standard Quicktime screen recording. z

Userlevel 2

I would like the ability to upload an MP4. I want to upload zoom recordings that demonstrate how to use the board without uploading an MP4 to my personal youtube account.

i also had this issue. i decided to convert my video from QuickTime player using “Snagit” (it’s a program) and converting (saving my video as) a GIF and then uploading that gif file up into Miro. I will embedded or inserted videos would autoplay and be on a loop 

Snagit program https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

Userlevel 1

Hey there!

You can upload the video to a video-sharing platform (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and simply paste the video link on a board using the shortcuts Ctrl/Cmd+C/Ctrl/Cmd+V. The media will be displayed right on the board!

:bulb: Please keep in mind that the visual preview is only shown if the source service settings allow it: private videos are not displayed on Miro boards but you can go to the video source.

Hi Vlada

Are there plans to enable embedding video straight into the Miro Board?

This is a bit of a showstopper for us, as video is our primary content.

It seems quite a limitation, given how popular video is becoming as a communication tool.

Thanks
Dave

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey there!

I love using Miro but the list of basic features that are missing is astoundingly long. Adding video directly to a board without having to faff around with uploading to YT and embedding is one of them.

I’m very disappointed to learn that I cannot simply add my own mp4 videos to a board, this is such a core capability for a visual collaboration tool! The extra steps to turn it into a gif or youtube video should not be needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I’m very disappointed to learn that I cannot simply add my own mp4 videos to a board, this is such a core capability for a visual collaboration tool! The extra steps to turn it into a gif or youtube video should not be needed.

While this is unfortunate and not convenient, video and audio sharing is not a problem that Miro needs to solve as the services like YouTube and Soundcloud already exist.

One step towards making it more convenient for Miro users may be to have a YouTube and Soundcloud plugin/app that would allow you to drag a video onto the board and have it

1. uploaded to these other services in the background; and
  2. embedded into the Miro board.

While this is unfortunate and not convenient, video and audio sharing is not a problem that Miro needs to solve as the services like YouTube and Soundcloud already exist.

One step towards making it more convenient for Miro users may be to have a YouTube and Soundcloud plugin/app that would allow you to drag a video onto the board and have it

1. uploaded to these other services in the background; and
  2. embedded into the Miro board.

Miro’s collaboration competitors have addressed and solved this issue a long time ago without needing plugins or extra steps, which is why this lack of functionality was so surprising.  https://www.edn.com/bluescape-expands-its-universe-of-supported-content-formats-and-tools-eliminating-barriers-to-collaboration/

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Lorna Jean Marcuzzo 

Collaboard does it, too:

Michael

Same goes to Milanote where is able to easily drag and drop an MP4 from your own storage/pc/Google Drive etc….

Miro is great, but the lack of this feature is a bit enervating. 

Please do something about this Miro team! 😪

Badge

For now, I’m using Adobe Express to convert movie (.mov format) to GIF format which can be supported by MIRO board. It’s important for MIRO to support direct video format upload in near future. Adobe Express is free of charge. 

Using You Tube or Vimeo shows an interface, which I would prefer to eliminate & prefer a clean presentation of the video.  If you want to stop & start the video then these work.  I chose to convert to GIF (free at Adobe)

I hope you will add direct video uploads and playback as a feature. I want to share quick screen captures from my phone that don’t make sense to upload to Youtube and go through the hassle. It looks like there is enough of a demand from customers for you to consider it. Thank you. :)

This is a pretty big surprise. Short h264s can be as small as 5-10mb at 1080p for ~30 seconds of video, You can hide them behind “click to play” to avoid loading unnecessary content.

This is making some of our design tasks fairly challenging. Surprising that the solution is to upload video to another service. Fingers crossed you revisit this task!

I’ve just started using Miro and I’m amazed that this isn’t a feature. How can you have a visual collaboration tool that you can’t upload short video clips to!? This seriously needs to be implemented.

Granted there likely has to be a size limit, but a sub 30 second compressed mp4 can be a similar size to a large image. Come on Miro team, I can see this has been requested for 2 years+ now. You clearly need to make it happen!

Just to add to this. People here are mentioning using GIF as a workaround, since it’s actually supported. But it’s an old and hugely inefficient format. Case in point: a 30 second screen capture I’ve just recorded as an mp4 is just 780 Kb. The conversion of this file to GIF is 18.4 Mb! More than 10 x the size and it takes 10+ seconds for Miro to even load and play. If the logic for not allowing direct video upload is to save bandwidth then this is clearly counter productive.

Having to use a third party tool like Loom or YouTube etc for something this simple is a real pain and simply isn’t what you’d expect from a tool like Miro. If anything I’d expect this functionality as a minimum with a road map heading towards screen recording tools like Loom being built in. Video is an integral part of visual communication. This needs to be addressed.

I add my comment too. On my way back from a trade fair I found myself with +50 minivideos of products to include in a presentation, and I only realised on my return that I couldn't add them to Miro... this is a big problem for me for this specific work and in general for out studio’s board management from here on. I hope this feature will be implemented soon although I understand from this conversation that the problem has been there for years unfortunately...