Question

How to auto-focus root node when opening the canvas?

• 23 August 2021
  • 3 replies

I have an issue, when I open my Miro canvas, I only see a blank page because it doesn’t auto-focus a node. How do I fix that? I would like to focus a node of my choosing as starting/root node.

Is it possible?

I want to avoid the “blank page effect” when sharing canvases with customers.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Ambroise -

You can set the start view for a user who has never accessed the board before by using the Settings menu option for the board but for those who have already visited it, Miro remembers where they were on the board when they last left it and sets the starting focus to that.

Are you experiencing different behavior?

Kiron

Thanks! “Starting focus” is what I had missed, I hadn’t seen that Settings menu either. Problem’s fixed!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Ambroise - As Kiron mentions, when a user loads a board for the first time, they will be taken to your predefined “start view”. However, the next time they open the board, they will be taken to their last known location on the board (as long as their browser cookies haven’t been deleted).

Another option is to share a link directly to an object on the board using the Internal and External Linking feature.

An example of when I like to use this approach is when I have many objects on the board, and the person I can directing to an specific object has been on the board before (so the start view feature won’t work, or I still want to maintain one dedicated start view).

Copying the object link

What the recipient sees

Here’s a link to a specific frame on my publicly viewable Getting to know Miro board:

https://miro.com/app/board/o9J_kl4Sue4=/?moveToWidget=3074457350014902666&cot=14