Add support for Wacom Products

Let the Miro app detect Wacom Tablets as a Tablett and not a mouse input.

I don’t even want pressure sensitivity, just not having a mouse curser while writing and an eraser when switching my pen around is enough.

I want this so much more then the third option to create bullet points, self arranging tree diagrams or an other templet.

@Tobias Spanke :

Collaboard tut es:

Collaboard Meets Wacom: Digital Whiteboards for Remote Teaching « Wacom Infochannel

Michael

Seems to be yet another reason to have a real offline app experience with miro rather than only the web experience. A full app can better manage the hardware events. And an offline experience simply needs to store the changes and then when it does the sync, it needs to give the user a chance to add those changes as one block (i.e. preview the results before saving to the collaboration board - just in case things have moved since the user last edited the board and needs to adjust things manually a little bit when he comes back online).

A miro competitor seems to have the same tablet integration issues: https://forum.figma.com/t/support-for-touch-interfaces/2705/15

I wonder if anything will change now that Apple has their Freeform tool

I went ahead and bought a wacom one on their web site (refurbished model) for $199.

It's the cheapest model that acts as an addition 1080p screen.

I find it works pretty well with miro.

As I use it more, I'll give some constructive feedback.

I use miro on pc at work and on mac at home and the wacom connects to both and fits in my backpack so I'll be playing with it on both devices.

The collaboard does a nice job but has some glitches as well. The pen mode stopped working on me and I had to reload the web site, for example.

Miro requires learning some keystrokes. After having been used to using an iPad for navigating with pinch actions, I want to do the same action on wacom, but it doesn't support it. This is something that wacom needs to support, of course, I get around it by putting my keyboard to the left of my wacom device (I'm right handed, so the pen is in my right hand) and my left hand can use the following:

F1 open the shortcuts in miro.

Zooming

• ctrl +
  • ctrl -
  • ctrl+1 zooms me out to see the whole board
  • then I can hit V and select with the stylus an area
  • ctrl+2 zooms me into that area and I can then do my annotations

Moving

• space bar + the pen allows me to move
  • arrow keys also let me move around
  • Hit H and move around with the stylus

Selecting tools

• O lets me draw ovals/circles
  • P lets me use the pen
  • E lets me use the eraser
  • F lets me draw a frame
  • R lets me draw a rectangle
  • L lets me draw a line

What might be nice is a custom floating tool palette.

The palette that miro gives on the left can't be moved and it's really too small and the objects inside of it, while they can be selected with 1-9 (not mentioned on the help page, but are mentioned inside the app), I would prefer to build my own floating palette with customized tools. When I say customized, I mean both the tool and the formatting.

For example, a text tool (miro doesn't yet support handwriting recognition but when it does) I want the font, the color, and the size to match the tool and I want to have a Text 1, Text 2, and Text 3 type that I can copy from one board to another with my favorites all pre-configured.

Same for circles. I want a circle that doesn't require me to hold shift to make it a circle and I want it to be transparent with no border. Miro doesn't automate any of these things today. I have to copy an old object using alt+drag or alt+arrow key, use a template, or recreate the object from scratch.

Haven't really noticed a difference between the web app and the desktop app so far…

Since I tend to do a lot of cut and paste and then annotate, I sort of switch between using miro on a 4k display to get the stuff I need on the board and then drag it to the wacom display and continue there with annotations. Since I work alone, I haven't experienced some of the problems people report with slow board while writing and I don't really have a way to test this unless I open one of my boards for edit and post it on social media asking for people to test, which I may do at some point if I find something that causes me frustration.

My initial experience with wacom on miro web and desktop is that it's great.

I don't need pressure sensitivity and I would probably turn it off if it existed. I like my lines straight (and I wish I could make them transparent - hint-hint) so they don't cover the background image on which I'm annotating. I do like handwriting, but I think the sold line that I have on miro is in fact better than what I have with the pressure sensitivity on collaboard.

Clearly I am voting for support of pressure because I think that it could be handy and fun to have some more types of drawing tools on miro and appeal to a wider audience.

If miro ever does decide to offer full pen support with a local (offline) app, I would absolutely consider getting one (or two if we still have to work at the office and home for two locations) of the larger wacom tablets that support 4k because I think miro requires a 4k or larger monitor. The Wacom one, being ¼ of the screen that I'm used to, feels small, so it will get replaced once miro gets these two tickets perfected.

1. tablet support on mac and windows and linux and chromebook with support for handwriting recognition and a true PDF highlight feature (text in the PDF highlighted, not just a line over the PDF, which is fine in addition, but not as the only method).
  2. offline work with a clean method to visualize and synchronize the changes to an online board once reconnected.

In some cases, it is nice to keep miro online and have one window on the 4k monitor and one window on the wacom one tablet. I love this about web applications because I can use tools like sharemouse (mac/pc) or barrier (all platforms) to work between raspberry pi, osx, and windows with the same mouse and keyboard and miro running on all of them at once. I think apple is going to support this with mac/iPad also...

So I wonder if there might be a way to use the bring to me feature on myself if I am in both sessions with the same user name. If I make a change on the 4k, I would like the wacom to follow me (sometimes) so that I can quickly tap on the screen and be there without moving my mouse and navigating to the new edits or click on one of my named users (if I can identify the login location with a cookie and a label) and go directly to that location using a different login on a different computer or in a different chrome profile.