Viewers cannot see the custom Icons added in bottom bar

• 16 June 2021
  • 5 replies

I have build an app in Miro by following the guide Build Your App (miro.com) . I have created a Html file (using a custom web api that is hosted in Azure) that adds 2 Icons in the bottom bar of the board and added the linkto the App URL field.

The app works fine for the board owner and users with Edit access to the board, i.e. they are able to see the icons and redirect to another page on click.

But, the issue occurs in the users with viewer and commenter - they are not able to see the Icons and I can see that in the sources (in developer tools ), the html file is not loading.

Could you please confirm if this is the default behavior of Miro and if there is any workaround for this.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @annie.maria_ext,

Would you be able to share more information about the exact scenario of when you face this issue?

A couple of answers that would help to understand:

• Is the app installed in your Team?
  • Are these users part of this Team?
  • Does the app requires specific rights (like edit rights) that these users do not have?

Regards,

Anthony

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

As far as I know, apps require permitions which can be granted only by users with valid miro accounts, which can then install the app for certain teams they are in, and only after that are they visible as icons and usable in boards of the team the user installed it in.

So by this standard you probably cannot make the app available for non logged-in users or users which did not install your app yet

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@annie.maria_ext - There at least three classes of editors:

1. A team member who can edit a board which resides in the team they are a member of
  2. A guest editor - a user with a Miro account who is editing a board ow which the share settings are set to “Anyone with the link → Can edit”
  3. An anonymous guest editor -- someone with no Miro account who is on a board of which the share settings are set to “Anyone with the link → Can edit”

From a test I just ran, only #1 (team members) will have access to your custom web-plugins (which are installed at the team level). I installed one of my own custom web-plugins on two separate Miro account profiles that I sign in with.

There are two teams with one member in each:

1. Team A has one member (User A)
  2. Team B has one member (User B)

In Chrome as User A, the plugin was available in a board (Board A) in that that account (I added the button to the bottom-left collaboration toolbar).

In Firefox as User B, the same thing.

However, if I (as User A) set Board A to “Anyone with the link → Can edit” and then open Board A as User B in Firefox, the custom web-plugin is not available, even thought User B has it installed and authorized.

View or Comment Only

Back to @annie.maria_ext‘s remarks about “no plugin in comment or view” mode. I thought Miro may display the web-plugin app if it was authorized for read-only, but when I changed my plugin’s permissions to read only, the button disappears when the board is set o comment or view only for the rest of the team members - here it is in action:

Hi @Robert Johnson,

Thank you for the explanation.

I have developed a custom web plugin which I want to test on the guest users. But according to your explanation, the guest users wont be able to see my custom web plugin icon. So is there any solution that you know of to let the guest users use the custom web plugin I developed? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Robert Johnson,

Thank you for the explanation.

I have developed a custom web plugin which I want to test on the guest users. But according to your explanation, the guest users wont be able to see my custom web plugin icon. So is there any solution that you know of to let the guest users use the custom web plugin I developed? 

Not possible, in the settings you can see that the web plugin you created requires certain permissions, these are granted by accounts which can give your webplugin the data it requires in these permissions. If you go through the authorization process of a Miro web plugin you might get more insight on why this is so, and why guest accounts have limited capabilities in terms of web-plugins and in many other fields compared to registered users.