Metadata updated are not persistent

Userlevel 3

Hello,
There seems to be a problem with the update of the metadata. After an update, the metadata are reset to their creation values when the board is refresh.

Is the problem known? If so, do you have any idea how long it will take to fix? Our plugins are all broken :)

Thank you!

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same problem, we just wanted to work with our plugin, and noticed, that metadata does not get persisted with the items any more. They are available from a single user, for their own written data, but get lost during reload and are not available for other users.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Actually, not all metadata is lost for us, but in our case rather array data gets lost. A boolean data type gets persisted.

Userlevel 3

Actually, not all metadata is lost for us, but in our case rather array data gets lost. A boolean data type gets persisted.

String data are also lost.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It works again! Thanks for fixing it.

I'm also having this problem. I add new metadata values but after I refresh the page everything is reset to the creation values.

I saw @Falk Kühnel  commented that it is working again, but I'm still getting this error.
Is it working for you @Laflys?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I saw @Falk Kühnel  commented that it is working again, but I'm still getting this error.

Hi @Wender Xavier !

It is broken again for me too. It worked three days ago. :astonished:

Userlevel 3

@Wender Xavier 

I am very sorry for the delay in my reply.

The problem still persists. Currently worked around by doing a "hard update" on the widgets (delete then create with the same information) but the updates still don't work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Laflys, @Falk Kühnel,

I have been able to reproduce some of the issues with metadata. I made a list of the instabilities/bugs I found and raised it to the technical teams. They will investigate and keep us informed about the next steps.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Userlevel 3

Hi @Laflys@Falk Kühnel,

I have been able to reproduce some of the issues with metadata. I made a list of the instabilities/bugs I found and raised it to the technical teams. They will investigate and keep us informed about the next steps.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Thank you very much !

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

A while back (4-5months) I was trying to run a Miro board app / extension solely on storing data / values in metadata of certain widgets and encountered a massive problem (especially with data structures, like arrays, JSON’s, etc...) where the metadata contents were different from what should’ve been stored inside.

After a bit of testing I found out that there is a limit imposed by Miro on the amount of data a widget can store inside of its metadata field, this limit is very noticable as I couldn’t store a array with more than 10-15 values inside for example. 

Not sure if this applies to your cases here, or if this was meant just for small string values and booleans. But if you are trying to save a bigger string or a data object / structure then the data limit is probably what you are facing.

Userlevel 3

Hello @Sami Ljimari 

Thank you for your answer but the problem is different. :)

The metadata limit is 6kB precisely. 

The problem since some time concerns the update of the metadata which do not persist. 

By the way, have you had any news @Anthony Roux ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi @Laflys 

Yes I see now, after I read your reply, I tried to replicate this issue, and indeed this is a bug!

Handling and changing simple integer values in metadata doesn’t save when a board is refreshed for me either. This affects one of my apps too from my testing. 

I will follow this topic to see when this gets resolved as my team already started using the app which utilizes metadata and this will 100% affect their work.

The same happens to my app. I am starting to worry that this problem exists for 6 months and nothing has been done yet.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@Anthony Roux , how about granting me access to your code base? I am willing to track down this bug. Not joking, seriously. This bug is annoying as hell. 

best regards

Falk

@Anthony Roux , how about granting me access to your code base? I am willing to track down this bug. Not joking, seriously. This bug is annoying as hell. 

best regards

Falk

@Anthony Roux I am ready to sacrifice my time as well in order to close this bug ASAP. How can I help with it? 

Userlevel 3

Same here...

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@Falk Kühnel, @Laflys, @Egor Zuev,

We understand the frustration and how this issue is impacting you.

I have collected your feedback and shared it with the technical team. Let me come back to you in the coming days with more information about what can be done to fix it.

Hi @Anthony Roux !

Is there any progress on this issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I don’t have an update to share yet, it is still being reviewed by the team. I will post an update here as soon as I get more information.

@Anthony Roux Any update on this issue? Looking forward to getting this resolved. Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I thought this was resolved already by now and just submitted one of my plugins which utilize metadata for marketplace review :/

@Anthony Roux are there any news from the team about this issue so far?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi @Sami Ljimari,

While investigating the team discovered that the issue is more complex than expected and cannot be solved at the Platform level. We are working with some other teams to find a solution that will fix the issue but as well work in the long-term. 

We apologise for any inconvenience caused. We are trying to find a workaround meanwhile to unlock the situation.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We were developing a really cool feature to add to our plugin, we found it didn’t work and then found this thread… we are stuck due to this as well.

cc @Ramkumar 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Anthony Roux 

We too are experiencing this issue on our plugin (WIP). Are there any updates yet regarding workarounds or solutions?

Our current workaround is to re-create the widget in question each time we want to change the metadata or to evade the metadata altogether by using browser local storage, though this makes the settings we have in there per user instead of per board, which isn’t optimal and no long-term solution in our case.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Ok, so we have built a dependency on Firebase to workaround the meta-data problem.

For info the 3rd party dependency is causing an issue and it’s making our plugin unreliable. Today Firebase has an issue with rate limits even though we are below the limits. 

The point is persisting meta-data is really important, not having persistence creates dependencies on other APIs which have limitations.

Please make this a priority fix.