Answered

Why can my team member not unlock objects on my Miro boards?

• 27 March 2024
  • 6 replies

A person I am working with can’t unlock objects on my board - hoping someone can tell me why/what to change!

I have a paid Miro Starter account for 1 member

The board is created in my Team

I have added her to my Team

The board’s share settings are set to “anyone with link can edit”

She logs in using her email and shows as an editor on the board.

She can move objects, but not unlock

Any advice please!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 27 March 2024, 18:55

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Carolyn6 -

I have a paid Miro Starter account for 1 member

The board is created in my Team

I have added her to my Team

The board’s share settings are set to “anyone with link can edit”

If you have added her to your team, and not just sent an invite link, then she should be a member of your team, and should be able to unlocked objects, unless you have applied the  Protected Lock feature on the object(s).

You can confirm if she is now a team member by going to your team profile, users page - you can also see your team member count at a glance by looking here:

However, if your colleague has not yet accepted the invite, then they would be viewing the board as a Visitor and not being able to unlocked objects is expected behaviour for Visitors as per the Visitors, guests and members help center article:

If the visitor does need to action on a Locked item, they can duplicate it by selecting it and using the Ctrl/Cmd-D shortcut (unless you have used the Protected Lock feature on the object).

Robert - thanks for your reply and intricate knowledge! I appreciate it!

I have worked through your advice but it’s not resolved it.

I can indeed see “2 users” under the team name.

I haven’t used protected lock

I have added her to the team and she says she has accepted.

Could it be because it’s a free licence for 7 days after which it auto upgrades to a full licence (and bills me for it presumably).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Carolyn6 - Thanks for the screenshot.

Could it be because it’s a free licence for 7 days after which it auto upgrades to a full licence (and bills me for it presumably).

It could, and if that were the case, I would say that it a bug or a missed requirement.

Other tests

A few ways to confirm that she is truly signed in using the email address that you added to your team, would be to:

1. Turn off visitor/public access by setting the board to “Anyone with the link → No access” and asking her to access the board again.
  2. Create a new board with one locked sticky note, ensure the boards Share settings are set to “Anyone at [TEAM NAME] team → Can edit”, and then asking her to try to open the board and unlock the sticky, WITHOUT sharing the board link - this will prove that she is accessing the dashboard using the email address you added to your team, and that she is signed in.

You could also create a new, free Miro account using some other email address, e.g., Gmail, and test the entire scenario using that address.

Also, has she shared a screenshot or video of what she is doing/seeing on her end? Loom is free and quick easy to use and share a recording.

@Carolyn6 - Thanks for the screenshot.

It could, and if that were the case, I would say that it a bug or a missed requirement.

Other tests

A few ways to confirm that she is truly signed in using the email address that you added to your team, would be to...

@Robert Johnson By sharing her screen on Zoom with me we established she was not logged in with the email address I had used to invite her to my team!  She didn’t even have an account for this email address!  She does now, has signed in and can unlock objects.

I had upgraded her licence from “free” to “full” before we discovered the problem...but am I correct in understanding that to have her on my team long term I have to pay for a licence for her anyway?  So there’s nothing to be gained by cancelling her full licence?

Thankyou for your help!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Carolyn6

By sharing her screen on Zoom with me we established she was not logged in with the email address I had used to invite her to my team!  She didn’t even have an account for this email address!  She does now, has signed in and can unlock objects.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

I had upgraded her licence from “free” to “full” before we discovered the problem...but am I correct in understanding that to have her on my team long term I have to pay for a licence for her anyway?

Yes, you would have to pay for her to be on your team if she needs to be able to unlocked objects.

So there’s nothing to be gained by cancelling her full licence?

Well, you would gain/save $10/month.

The bigger question is around the nature of your future/ongoing work with this person (and other persons) in Miro. For example, if you plan on working with other people on boards that you own/are in your team, but these people need to also create boards in your team, then you will need to continue to add each of them as full licence members of your team. But, if you just need them to work on boards with you, but to have the ability to unlocked objects, as well as using some other features that “visitors” cannot access, then you could upgrade (just yourself) to the Business Plan at $20/month and then use the Guests feature to add users to your boards.

@Robert Johnson  - insightful and clear answer as ever thanks!  Yes she will need to create and edit boards in future so I will leave the licences as they are for now.