[RESOLVED] Links not working in Comment Bubbles

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just today Links Pasted into Comments are not working.  The text is highlighted blue color and you can Click on the text but nothing happens.  Anyone experiencing this problem?

Robert Johnson 7 months ago

Update from Miro Support – issue is RESOLVED:

I appreciate your help in reporting the issue and your patience while we worked on it. I am happy to inform you that we have successfully fixed the problem. We know that this feature is important for you and your team, and we're thankful for your patience during the process.

View original

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Brandon Lee -

It worked fine for me with a test I just did. I’m using a Windows 10 laptop with Google Chrome.

Kiron

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - Working for me too - Windows 11, latest stable 64-bit Chrome.

Using this URL → https://www.speedtest.net/

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks for update @Kiron Bondale Board Links (Ctrl + k) added to an Object work fine… the problem are Board Links Pasted into Comment Bubbles that don’t work for me as well as other Team Members.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My Link is within the Board… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - From what I recall, you are a Mac user? Or maybe not if you are referencing “Ctrl” and not “Cmd”.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m a PC User @Robert Johnson I’ve confirmed that Comment Links outside of the Board work.

BTW using the Desktop App.  Later today when I open Miro in my Browser I will Test there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Update… before Clicking the Link I pressed Keyboard Key “Ctrl” and the Link worked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Yep. This is buggy.

@Brandon Lee  - I will create a support request from this post and CC you.

Miro support: When I try to link to an object on the board by using Copy link, and then pasting that link into a Comment, the link doesn’t work - every time I click on the link, it just goes into edit mode for the comment.

As Brandon said, if I press Ctrl first and then click on the link, it works. Or, if I short the URL down to just the board link (ending in “=/”), the link works.

I am using Windows 11, the latest 64-but Miro app (0.7.6).

The same behaviour happens in Chrome.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Update: Middle Mouse Click does a better job opening the Link for now… sometimes Ctrl will cause the Edit Model to be enabled.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The weirdness continues. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Brandon Lee @Robert Johnson Looking at your gif, I think the moveToWidget URL parameter is causing this unexpected behavior. That parameter is for setting the start view of the board’s content to the specified widget.

When you removed the parameter the weird behavior stopped, but did you verify that the link works without the parameter? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I’m considering this a Bug @Henrik Ståhl I’ve used Miro since the days of Realtimeboard, I think 5 years of daily usage.  I’ve Pasted Board Links in Comments 1000’s of times before and they worked fine.  Both Robert and I submitted Tickets. Thanks though for reading my Thread 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Brandon Lee Oh, I also consider it a bug. Sorry if it sounded like I didn't. Just wanted to bring a theory to the table for troubleshooting. 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Update #1 from Miro support:

Hi Robert and Brandon!

Thanks for reaching out and reporting this 

I've got in touch with the team internally to get more insights into this behaviour. I'll let you know as soon as I receive an update from them.

In the meantime, feel free to address any other questions you might have.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Did you hear any Update @Robert Johnson ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - Nothing since the last update - did you receive the same email update from last week?

I am wondering, because I CC’d you on the ticket, do you see if when you

1. Go to help.miro.com
  2. Sign in (top right)
  3. Click “Your name → My activities”?
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I am not receiving any Updates @Robert Johnson, in actual fact they Closed my Ticket and left your Ticket Open.

Interesting… I was using my Mobile Phone and confirmed the Bug does not affect the Mobile App like it is affecting the Desktop Browser and Desktop App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - Thanks for confirming. I thought that since I added you as a CC address, you would automatically get notifications. I will keep updating this post as I hear from the support team.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hard to believe not many Folks in the Miro Community use this Function?

So far no updates and Miro Board Links embedded inside a Miro Comment Bubble do not work.

😭

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - Final update for now from Miro support:

Hi Robert, Brandon,

We really appreciate your patience while we investigated this.

The team confirmed that this is now the expected behaviour with internal links added to comments. We totally understand that this flow is not ideal and the team will work on improving this. However, I'm afraid we don't have an ETA to share.

In the meantime, we can suggest following the workaround that was already suggested in the community thread: use Cmd+Click on an internal link. This will redirect you to the relevant object in a new tab. We realize this extra step is not convenient and we apologize for not having a better solution to offer at this stage.

Please, let us know if you have any questions or if anything else comes up!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

​My feedback is that I do not expect this behaviour. When I click on an external link on a Miro board, I expect it to open in a new window/tab and to still have the Miro board available to me. I expect the same behvaviour in a comment as in, for example, a link in a text object. The behaviour is inconsistent - not something I expect, and is a poor user experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Latest update from the Miro support team:

I come bearing good news: the bug fix was just released with the new (0.7.10) version of the desktop app! Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

I have tested and it working for me and some others.

@Brandon Lee?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brandon Lee - I may have spoke too soon. The issue you had reported was not quite the same as the one the support team responded to.

When I put a link to an object in another board in a comment, it opens the target board in a new tab and takes me to the object. PASS

I put a link to an object on the same board in a comment. When I click the link, the whole board reloads in the same Miro desktop app frame, but it does make me to the object. (TECHNICALLY A) PASS.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hey everyone,

Dropping here to tell you that the improvement the team promised to work on is available already! Now the link pated to the comment leading to the widget located on the same board brings you to it (in both web version and desktop app).

You can still click on the link with the mouse wheel or use the hotkey Ctrl/Cmd + clicking with the mouse to open the page in the new tab if this suits your workflow better. Hope this makes Miro usage at least a little bit easier for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Thanks for the update, @Alyona!

I have tested in both Chrome and the desktop app and everything is working as expected 😀