Answered

New Spell-check Feature

• 1 October 2020
  • 13 replies

I see in the recent upgrade notes that spell-check was added to Miro, which is great and it is highlighting the mis-spelled words.  However, I cannot figure out how to get the suggested word spellings to display? In most applications you use the contextual mouse button, but that does not work.  I also tried hovering with, but no suggestions.  Is there a hot-key that needs to be used?

Anyone else have this issue?

icon

Best answer by Tolya Filippov 2 October 2020, 16:24

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Tolya Filippov - Was the intent of the spell checker to just highlight misspelled words?

Your recent release notes did not specific.

Userlevel 4

Anyone else have this issue?

Same here.  It puts a red squiggle under the word but there doesn't seem to be an option to correct it.  If spelling is an issue it will be better to stay in the browser version of miro, where you have access to your browsers spell checker.  

Userlevel 4

@ScottShimer @TRS @Robert Johnson Hi guys! Yes, currently spell-checker only highlights misspelled words, there are no suggestions for them. We have showing suggestions in a backlog.

If spelling is an issue it will be better to stay in the browser version of miro, where you have access to your browsers spell checker.  

That’s true.

I had the same question as above.   I was sooo excited when i saw it pop up on the latest updates!    Only to be quickly shot down by no spelling options.  I really want to use the desktop app, but spell check (and fix) is single feature holding me back to using it full time.

I honestly cannot understand the decision to release a spell check that feature and not have suggestions.  Those little red lines are just mocking me.  Back to Chrome for me.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@REB618 - The decision was probably based on releasing something useful now rather than nothing at all until the feature was considered to be ‘complete’. While not ideal, there is at least some value seeing that you misspelled a word (ironically, I just misspelled ‘mispelled’ and lazily used Chrome to correct it :thinking:). 

@Robert Johnson yes, i know why they did i, and i understand agile product development, but to me these simply go together.  MS Teams spell check suggestions are horrendous compared to Outlook and Word, but at least it's there and improving.  I (like many) am not the best typer, or speller and i rely heavily on spellcheck in every application i use.  BTW, chrome spell check corrected about a dozen words in this reply.  :grin:  Not a deal breaker… I know it’ll get there.  I love the product and i can honestly say this is really my only gripe since i started using it.

It seems I cannot switch spelling check off, or at least change the language. In dense notes the red squiggles make the text hard to read.

Am I right? 

It seems I cannot switch spelling check off, or at least change the language. In dense notes the red squiggles make the text hard to read.

Am I right? 

i reported this as a bug. but “support” told me its a problem of my mac and they CLOSED the issue.

omg can't believe it.

its really annoying. how can i turn off the red underlining?!

karel

Am I right? 

i reported this as a bug. but “support” told me its a problem of my mac and they CLOSED the issue.

omg can't believe it.

Well, I don't have a Mac, but a Windows machine, so “support” is clearly wrong on this.

@ScottShimer @TRS @Robert Johnson Hi guys! Yes, currently spell-checker only highlights misspelled words, there are no suggestions for them. We have showing suggestions in a backlog.

If spelling is an issue it will be better to stay in the browser version of miro, where you have access to your browsers spell checker.  

That’s true.

That’s a real bummer. I know companies that spend tens of thousands of dollars a year to use your system, and spell check seems like a real missed use case.

still not fixes? more than month to fix this bug?

karel

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Holy shirtballs! I was just working in the Miro desktop app (Windows 64-bit, v0.5.2) and when I right-clicked on a word that spell check highlighted as being misspelled a list of suggestions appeared!