Link to sections in the board

Userlevel 2

It would be a nice feature to have some sort of a "link to sections"within the board. For example like a table of content in which I could link different sections of the board within itself.

13 replies

Userlevel 4

You can already do it.
In the options of asset (the three dots) you can copy link and past it into a text field. Then when you’ll click on the link it will go to the asset.

Userlevel 2

Oh Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. i didn't even know we can do that. Thanks! :) 

You can already do it.
In the options of asset (the three dots) you can copy link and past it into a text field. Then when you’ll click on the link it will go to the asset.

Userlevel 2

Yeah you can do it. It’S amazing.

The only issue is that when you duplicate the board, the links won’t work correctly. They will link to the original board. Anyway it’s good because it means you can connect different boards (really good idea) but you need to make sure everyone has access to both boards.

Anyway, for my actual needs, I need to be able to duplicate boards and let the links work within the same board and avoid the connection to the original board. Is there anything I’m doing wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Sorry @José M Aguirre (and welcome to the community, BTW!) - this is a current limitation with how the links work. There is a wish list topic here which you can upvote: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/make-all-internal-miro-links-relational-by-default-736

Kiron

Userlevel 4

@balaji.masilamani You’re very welcome.
You can solved this if you want ;)

Hi @Kiron Bondale ! Would you know if there’s a way for the “link to” blue arrow to NOT cover a part of the text that it precedes? For example, in between frames, I have the word “rotate” (the activity is a virtual gallery walk). The “link to” arrow covers a part of the word so that the user is only able to read “rota.” I tried moving the arrow but it doesn’t work like the other objects on the board. Thanks for you help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Camille Tacastacas - Unfortunately not. The only way to do this would be to make the object that the link is added to big enough so that the text isn’t obscured, but when folks zoom out they’d still reach a point where the link icon would take over the text.

There is a somewhat similar wish list topic here (https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/hide-link-to-buttons-1656) which you could up-vote, but if you wanted to add a new wish list topic for being able to move the position of the link button on an object, you can add it following the guidelines here: Wish List: Everything You Need to Know 🌠 | Miro

Kiron

@Kiron Bondale 

Is there a way to check which objects are linking to a specific object?

Sometimes I am reluctant to delete an object from a large board, because there may be others linking to it, and I don’t get any notification when deleting it, and end up with broken links all across the board.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Anton Kokh -

Not as far as I know natively in Miro. However, I’m guessing this may be possible through the API if you wanted to code it :wink: .

Kiron

I’d like to link between two sticky notes, but it seems like if I move a sticky the link breaks (sometimes). Is there a way to link between two OBJECTS and not to locations on the page? If I move a sticky, I’d like the link to stay intact. 

Is there a specific reason why anytime I click Copy Link to an item, it creates the same URL as every other item’s copied link.

We have a massive Miro board with many items on it and I’m often copying links to an item and posting that link in Slack and other external team spaces. My team members have had issues with confusion and seemingly being in the wrong spot on the board when clicking a link to an item in Miro. Is this identical URL to multiple items causing issues?

Sorry @José M Aguirre (and welcome to the community, BTW!) - this is a current limitation with how the links work. There is a wish list topic here which you can upvote: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/make-all-internal-miro-links-relational-by-default-736

Kiron

It seems the direct links to an individual frame within a board are created when the frame is orignally created within a board—and remain linked to that original board, even if it is copied into a new one.

A quick workaround to make a link direct to the new board is to:

• make a new frame of the same size as the one copied into the board
  • move or copy/paste all content from the original frame into the new empty frame
  • delete the old frame
  • then, copy the link to that new frame 

Since it was created within the new board, it will link to the new board, not the previous source board. Worked for me!

Except it doesn’t work if you are already viewing a board in a different tab. You go to the place that you are currently at. Tabs/windows should be independent.