I'm a Board owner in a browser but a Guest Editor in the Desktop App... same board.

• 13 October 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

So this is really odd. I created a new board this morning for a feedback gathering meeting. I was using it in the meeting using the Desktop App when the App rebooted suddenly mid-meeting. When the board opened up again, I was a guest editor and didn’t have access to all features. “Bring to me” didn’t work for me as a guest editor, for example.

I needed to be able to continue with the meeting using the “bring to me” feature, so I opened the board in a browser to see if I had completely lost ownership.  In an browser tab I am still owner. See the image below.

On further looking, this is the same on all boards that I own on that account.

Why has this happened, and how do I recover ownership status in the App? Will logging out and logging back in on the app cause me to lose any data?

18 replies

I am suddenly listed as a guest editor on my board and cannot edit, I can only view. 

Why would this be and what can i do about it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Brian Fulghum  - This sounds like it may be a bug in the Desktop App. I would suggest you report it right away by opening a Miro Support & Help Center ticket.

Userlevel 1

Same thing is happening to me. I made board X on the online browser tool. When I open it in the windows desktop tool I am a guest editor. Probably explains why on earth my share screen and video chat function stopped working. I made a duplicate of board X in the desktop app and on that board I am owner. So I think it has to do with where you first created the board… maybe. 

Userlevel 1

That's strange now I am guest editor on all my boards. (in the desktop app)

I’m experiencing the same issue within both the browser version and desktop app. Feels like a bug to me...

This is happening to me right now too (Mac desktop App). I am the Account Admin, Team Admin, maker and owner of many boards and I can’t access the “Bring to me” functionality (probably others too but I haven’t checked) because it’s indicating that I’m a Guest Editor.

I’m running a workshop in 2 days so this will prevent me from managing the group…

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Lisette, @Lisa deBettencourt, @Bart Schaerlaekens - This definitely appears to be a pattern. If you haven’t already, I would recommended that you open a Miro Support & Help Center ticket.

I would also recommended including a link to this post in your ticket. If there is a known issue, hopefully someone from Miro will provide updates in this post.

https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/i-m-a-board-owner-in-a-browser-but-a-guest-in-the-desktop-app-same-board-2284

(@Marina - Tagging you here.)

I also just noticed that the app is indicating I’m signed into the boards in question after I closed out of them in the app and I do not have them open anywhere else (LD is me).

@Robert Johnson - thanks. Done.

Same experience for me.  Clearly an issue with the desktop app.  Online functionality is as expected.  But a board owner should never be a “guest editor” (as the desktop app now declares)!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Robert Johnson, @Lisa deBettencourt@Roger Wheeler@Lisette@Bart Schaerlaekens 

I had to leave the board alone for a bit due to other work and when I returned it seems the App has refreshed the board permissions. It worked itself out for me. But I had no idea that others were having similar experiences. I’m going to monitor it and if it happens again, then I’ll follow Robert’s advice in this other post on how to reset the app.

https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/how-to-check-desktop-app-version-number-windows-10-2139?postid=9584#post9584

Failing that if no one else has raised a ticket by then, I’ll raise one.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi Amy, are you using a browser or the desktop app? 

If you are using the Windows desktop app, there are others who have had a similar experience in this disucssion: https://community.miro.com/got-a-question-ask-the-community-45/i-m-a-board-owner-in-a-browser-but-a-guest-in-the-desktop-app-same-board-2284.

@Robert Johnson, thanks for the advice. I made a ticket yesterday. Let’s hope this gets picked up soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi there,

Thanks all for reporting the issue!

I’ve found your tickets in the Support queue and asked the team to escalate the case. As soon as there’s any news, I’ll update this thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Marina @Brian Fulghum Just ran into this thread and now I realised what happened. I was presenting at a Miro Distributed workshop last night and I lost the ability to ‘Bring Everyone to Me’ even though I had Editor rights! That was a little panicky.

How moment was saved: I use plenty of frames so it was a matter of asking co-presenter/Editor to help me scroll through frames when needed and he brought everyone to his screen 😂

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Marina  I found the problem returned today. I followed Robert’s advice and cleared the cache, then I logged out and logged back in. The problem did not resolve.  Support may be interested to know that these troubleshooting steps did not work.

The board settings have me as owner (which is correct), but the user role is Guest Editor.

Thanks in advance for working on it.

Userlevel 1

I also cleared the cache yesterday. That didn't seemed to help. I shot down my computer for the night and today I only opened the desktop app and I have full owners rights on all of my boards again. Lets see if this will change over the day. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

I also cleared the cache yesterday. That didn't seemed to help. I shot down my computer for the night and today I only opened the desktop app and I have full owners rights on all of my boards again. Lets see if this will change over the day. 

I’m having the same experience. The App behaviour is sporadic, hard to predict, and can’t be reproduced intentionally.