Answered

downloading docs, pdfs etc.

• 3 December 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I own a board and am teaching. up until just now, I can post or upload a document, slides, etc. and people can download. Now...I still see the download icon but my participants can not, so they can’t download anything. HELP!!!!!!

icon

Best answer by Robert Johnson 4 December 2020, 00:50

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Wow. I agree….I am a consultant and I do have paying students. My problem is that I work with government agencies, and most of them can’t use Google or DropBox because of firewalls, so Miro was especially helpful because I could put all my materials in one place. Ideally, there should be an option for only downloading documents etc, and not duplicating the board.

VH

Thank you Robert, it works again. Big help.

It was a “sharing setting”, “permission” issue.

Like always in life - if you know it, then it is simple :wink:

Best regards,

Fred

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@virginia hamilton - I think your Miro team has the new Board content copy feature enabled. I wrote a lengthy post about this a while ago:

https://community.miro.com/changelog-feedback-31/new-feature-board-content-copy-permissions-2499

To fix this:

From the share popup, click on Sharing settings:

Then Permissions:

And make sure that Who can copy board content is set to Anyone with the board access:

Example - before:

And then after:

Userlevel 1

THANK YOU!!! what i don’t understand is that until today, people could copy and download. I never went into my profile to look at settings, but your prior post showed me how.  Once I changed the settings in my profile, the option that shows up above appeared, but hadn’t before. Mystery why it changed all of a sudden, but it works now. thank you so much!

VH

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks for highlighting this @virginia hamilton and @Robert Johnson 

As mentioned in this post, I’ve been recently working with some clients who are interested in using Miro as a hub/archive… educational institutions using it as a learning management system, holding resources for their students, as well as government agencies using Miro as an archive of materials from past events.

Initially I was excited about the ability to give people duplication rights if I desired, but “duplicating a board” and “downloading embedded content” are totally different things, and this is really problematic!

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@virginia hamilton - You're welcome! I suspect that the feature was just enabled on your account, however, it still hasn't been announced yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@virginia hamilton - Your question and this new feature got me thinking of a new consideration for Miro board facilitators/teachers such as yourself and therefore I wanted to point this out to you.

In your scenario, you have participants on a Miro board and want them to be able to download a file that right off of the board. However, with this new “content copy permissions” feature, what your participants could now do is make a copy of your entire board to their Miro account.

They could do this by

1. Opening your board
  2. clicking on the board title 
  3. clicking on the Duplicate  button:
  4. and then giving the board a name and selecting which team they want to copy/duplicate the board to:

You may not care about this, but for example, if you were a consultant delivering training to a paid client and using a board that contains your custom training, surely you would not want your clients taking a copy of it. Therefore, you would need to share files with them another way, e.g., Google Drive or OneDrive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

The board content copy permissions feature have now been rolled out to all paid-type plans. If you look in the Help Centre article in the Frequently Asked Questions, there are steps on a workaround to allowing users to downlaod documents from your board, but not the entire board itself.

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018350399-Board-Content-Settings