i-frames & thumbnails

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Fellow Miro Heroes,

I am having an issue with embedding a Miro board into another Miro board using an iFrame. Previously, the thumbnail or preview of the embedded board was displayed, but now a generic thumbnail is shown and the iFrame has a 16:9 aspect ratio. Is there a way to revert to the old way of displaying the thumbnail, or to customize the thumbnail that is shown? The old method looked much better and I have tried various solutions without success. Here is an example of the difference between the old and new iFrames: [old iFrame (left) vs. new iFrame (right)].

Thank’s in advance!

Said

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

I was testing some YouTube video embedding yesterday (related to the thread that you replied to, @Henrik Ståhl ) and was finding some unexpected results (and then I got distracted by our now-walking baby/toddler). I suspect there are some changes going on related to the new features being added to some types of embedded media).

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Seems like this is a feature - not a bug! Unfortunately, this makes some of my projects useless. The iframes I created before the change happended are still working as expected. At least unless I do not try to update them.

Thanks @Robert Johnson & @Henrik Ståhl 

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

No, I have not @Robert Johnson. I was busy being frustrated and shouting at my monitor! And I was also not sure if this is a bug, a feature or just me!

Let’s see what the support team has to say (I converted your post into a support ticket 😁).

If you could share their response here, we would all appreciate it!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Let’s see what the support team has to say (I converted your post into a support ticket 😁).

Thanks for taking care @Robert Johnson. I will provide an update as soon as I receive a response.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Aah, the Museum of Miro Art! That's such an amazing board. I really hope this is indeed a bug so that the gallery can survive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @Said Saddouk! Have you tried customizing the embed size when you fetch the embed code from the board you want to embed?

Also, it says here that blocking third-party cookies in your browser might affect how the embedded board is displayed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Hey @Henrik Ståhl thanks for your support!

I've tried to embed the board in the same way you did, as well as a simpler version with fewer parameters. However, I'm still experiencing the same issue no matter what browser I use, even with adblockers and script/cookie blockers turned off. Can you check if the embed code works for you and if it displays a preview or custom thumbnail? I'm wondering if the issue is specific to me.

This drives me crazy :D

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I meant, what does it look like when you embed any of your boards (which has a custom thumbnail) into another board? It doesn't have to be one of my boards.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Ah, OK. Sorry, thought you meant if I could try embedding your board. 😇 Will check and let you know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Said Saddouk OK, I’ve played around with some different boards now and it seems like the generic preview image is the default display mode when embedding a board in another board. 😕 

You can change the width and height of the embed through the embed settings. But I couldn’t find a way to override the generic preview image.

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

You couldn’t get an embedded YouTube video to open in a modal, right?

I could not. I recall it as you do – they have always played in the board. However, what I was trying to test was what would happen when you try to embed a YouTube video where embedding was disabled, e.g.:

I figured it may open in a modal. However, clicking on the embed was only giving the option to open YouTube in a new window (I have the new YouTube embed beta thingy enabled on my account). I tried to move the board to a few other accounts without the beta, but same result.

Here’s the board (which may be deleted at anytime – sorry future readers of this post):

https://miro.com/app/board/uXjVP0i0OWk=/

And then I got distracted and summed it up to Miro making changes that we’re not aware of :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Robert Johnson Good digging! And yeah, I guess we have to write it off as Miro changing things, basically. Can't help to wonder if the generic preview image in board embeds is intended though, or a bug. 🤔

The i-frame feature was a highly underrated tool for creating interactive and engaging elements. I had previously used it to create a gallery of my Miro boards/ miroArts, with each frame being an i-frame linking to another Miro board. However, when I tried to update the gallery and add more frames, I discovered that the feature was no longer functioning as expected. This was disappointing, as I had invested a lot of time and effort into creating the gallery (and some other similar boards).

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

@Robert Johnson Good digging! And yeah, I guess we have to write it off as Miro changing things, basically. Can't help to wonder if the generic preview image in board embeds is intended though, or a bug. 🤔

I am curious to know for sure.

@Said Saddouk - Have you opened a support ticket for this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

No, I have not @Robert Johnson. I was busy being frustrated and shouting at my monitor! And I was also not sure if this is a bug, a feature or just me!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I received an update to this issue today. Seems like I am not totally insane:

The team has confirmed that there's a bug on our end that causes a default thumbnail to appear on the embedded board. The good news is that the team is already aware of the issue and is currently working on a fix for it. We're bringing our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience it causes! 

We'll definitely keep you updated on the progress. Please, bear with us!
Best regards,

Thanks my friend @Robert Johnson 

Still seeing this bug, unfortunately. If I try to embed one miro board in another I just get the default preview image. Hoping this can get fixed soon, it would be incredibly helpful for us!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

It does not look that this will be fixed anytime soon. I guess I need to look for another solution for my project.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Said Saddouk Of course, just give me the embed code and I'll check! 😀

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Robert Johnson Interesting! You couldn’t get an embedded Youtube video to open in a modal, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7