Straight line tool

As an architect I desperately need a straight line tool. The current line tool is snaping to everything and resets to selection after each use.

What I want is just an old good point to point line. It should work exactly the same way as a Pen tool and can even be an option for a Pen tool along with eraser.

As a faculty member, especially for economics, I need simple tools to draw graphs.  Snapping an x and y axis is a nice feature, but just the basic line feature would help.  The smart drawing doesn’t seem intuitive.  Sometimes it gives me a straight line; sometimes not so much.  Could not find any tutorials on this, either.  Maybe it exists and we just don’t know the secret to using it.

@Jim Vernon -

Here are a couple of tips on the line capability which might help: 

This is from the help center for this feature: https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730733-Connection-Lines

Kiron

Thanks, Kiron!  It’s getting easier :)

The best hack that I have found is to make the line outside of any frame, holding shift. As long as there’s no nearby objects for it to snap to, it is a lot easier to get a straight line!

Holding CTRL disables the snapping behaviour! Unfortunately you can’t change the default to stop the snapping / connecting.

I wish we could get a freeform filled polygon...

Maybe, the good idea would be to organize the Straight line tool like in Bitpaper:

If you hold some key (for example, Ctrl) the Pen tool transforms into the Straight line tool. Possible options would be:
- a hint with the angle between the line and the horizontal axis;
- the possibility to anchor the end of the line to the end of the another line (for example, holding Ctrl and Shift).
It would be useful for me when tutoring geometry because in this case I can use a pen tablet to write formulas and draw shapes without using toolbar.

Holding Shift just does a selection of objects; it does not draw a straight line. 

+1 for being able to use the pen tool and hold shift to draw a straight line. it took me too many steps just to get here to suggest this so Miro y’all should understand how badly I want that capability

The only way I’ve found to do it is to create a frame anywhere on the board...then, create a line, and “snap” the line to the border of the frame (vertical or horizontal)...not as a connector, but literally placing the line over the top of one of the sides of the frame.  That’ll make it perfectly horizontal or vertical...then, the line can be move to where you need it.

I haven’t read this entire thread, so apologies if this solution has already been offered.
Using the Smart Drawing tool, I’ve found that any somewhat-straight line I draw snaps to a straight line. If there’s too much curve or irregularity, it will try to create a shape, but any ballpark “straight” line snaps straight.

Holding Shift just does a selection of objects; it does not draw a straight line. 

Yes it does, but you have to start drawing the line before holding shift.

I read the thread so you don’t have to: if you want a straight line that doesn’t snap to/connect with anything, hold CTRL, then start drawing a line, then hold shift before finishing the line. 

It’s not great! But it works (for new lines).

Is there a way to hold CTRL on an iPad without a keyboard?

The “smart drawing” sometimes is too smart to draw a straight line.

And it would be nice if you could see the exact result before releasing the pen (like the “ruler” on a whiteboardfox board).

I’m on Miro for tutoring grades 7-12. My students and I are using tablets for the drawing capabilities. Using a keystroke while drawing is not an option. 

If I’m missing something, please let me know, but I have not found a way to ensure that the “smart” drawing tool will actually draw a straight line. Many of my students will draw wavy lines resulting is curves, or an arrow head will appear. It’s very frustrating for them (and for me).

Is it possible to have a line tool that draws a line between the point of first contact and point of lift?

It could even snap to the grid if that option were on, but it would always be a straight line.

Seems like many people are asking for something like this.

Again, Key strokes don’t help.

thank you

I use Miro on a large touch screen and don’t have easy access to a keyboard, so it would be great if you just hold down at the end of drawing a line or a a highlight and it will make it straight.  This feature is in GoodNotes and several other pen-based notetaking programs.