Summarise board invitations in a single notification email, rather than spamming users with an email per board

We run events for external users and, as part of that, provide access to a number of Miro boards. For longer events, this could be 50+ boards because we break groups into smaller teams (with a board copy per team).

Currently, we grant access to these boards at board level (rather than project or team level) because doing so at project or team level allows anyone with access to see a list of names and email addresses of other users, potentially breaking GDPR rules (https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/hide-email-addresses-other-members-for-some-team-members-3222).

However, when shared at board level, Miro sends a notification email for every single board shared and we regularly receive complaints from our users that they have been “spammed by Miro”.  This is not good for our reputation, or Miro’s reputation.

Some users are also confused into believing that they need to “accept” every invitation, which is not the case.

In an ideal world, Miro would delay sending a board share notification for (say) ten minutes.  If another board is shared in that time, by the same user, that would get added to the notification email and the ten minute timer would reset.  This would continue until ten minutes has elapsed without another board being shared, at which point an email would be sent saying something like “Mark shared “EX01 - One Question” and 32 other boards with you”.

Perhaps there is an interim step where either:
 - The person sharing is able to choose to not send invite emails; or

- Miro just doesn’t send any additional invite emails within 10 minutes of having sent a previous one.

We really need a quick fix for this as it is causing regular complaints.

More information in this non-wishlist thread:

https://community.miro.com/peer-support-45/resolved-how-to-stop-spam-invite-to-board-mailers-4058

Love this suggestion Mark, I just created a similar idea: “Enable board owner to manage board notifications for users with access to it“ and am finding multiple other people are requesting something similar!

Hi Madalene,

Are there any updates on this?

I’m in the same situation as topic starter. We need to be able to share tens/hundreds of boards automatically, but `Share board` REST api sends too many email notifications for users and a lot of users may not even care they now have access to these boards.

Is there an option to switch the “notification emails” off while sharing a board?

Miro team - this is now 2+ years old.

In case you’re interested, we still regularly get hammered by our learners for this; here is another one:

Pre-course administration?
1 out of 5
Please don’t send 100 emails about Miro. I missed key other introduction emails

I’ve apologised to three separate individuals this week alone for this behaviour.

And again:

Pre-course administration?
Put all instructions in 1 email with screenshot tutorial, instead of the million links we were receiving.

Something in the API that allows us to NOT send an invite email would be a great start on this.

I just posted this elsewhere; it might be an actionable solution to this issue:

---

I think the most straightforward fix here would be twofold:

• A parameter we can pass in the API call (https://api.miro.com/v2/boards/.../members), perhaps invite, set to true/false.  The endpoint description could be changed so it’s actually “Add board members” rather than “Share board”, which feels more consistent with the other naming too.  The email invite then becomes optional by setting invite to either true or false.

• A change to the share dialog in the GUI, perhaps a down arrow on the right side of the “Send invitations” button that allows you to select “Share only” instead, or similar.

For our purpose, the API call would solve the issue.  The GUI change actually wouldn’t solve our issue as we use the API for sharing, but it does seem sensible from the perspective of consistency.

A shorter term fix would be for you to disable invitation sending for our whole account.  Not sure if that’s possible for you, and it’s not really an elegant/long-term solution, but it would work for us for now.

---

Thanks,

Mark.