Shuffle / randomize order of selected objects

THE ABSTRACT

It would be great to be able to have one-click shuffle (place in random order) all of currently selected objects.

THE PROBLEM

There is a great variety of activities in collaboration, that require object randomness when preparing or playing with the board: selecting shuffled sticky notes, voting on ideas placed in random order, working with random cards.

Currently Miro does not have any tool to do that neither quickly nor efficiently. You can only do it manually, which basically eliminates the “random” concept out of it (you can use some hacks, such as dragging objects in frame with grid mode - but it is still manual).

THE (POSSIBLE) SOLUTION

With recently introduced “smart alignment” you can introduce option to align & shuffle, that will move selected objects into a smart alignment - next to each other - but in random order. It could be a button something like this:

BEFORE:

AFTER (smart aligned & shuffled):

This would be really helpful when you have done a ton of brainstorming to shuffle around the cards before reviewing. Even to order them so they are easier to read.

I have set of card that i distribute at random, i give each participant of a workhop a set of 5 cards and let them choose one to expose. 

could this feature help me simulate this in a virtual setting?

I have set of cards that I distribute at random, I give each participant of a workshop a set of 5 cards and let them choose one to expose. 

could this feature help me simulate this in a virtual setting?

It might. But we don’t have a flip over option yet as far as I’m aware. I need that for another request. The shuffling would allow them to be rearranged then you could have your people pull 5 cards. 

I have created this simple deck of cards in Miro: 

This is great!!! I play a diversity game I learned from the trainers at Hasbro. People create a deck of 7 cards based on how they identify. Everyone has to pick 3  unseen random cards from their neighbor and after everyone has picked, incorporate them into their remaining cards. Conversation follows based on how their would would change having these three new attributes. 

In real life, at Hasbro, this is done with real cards. They choose their identity cards from stacks of different attributes when they arrive. During the game, they hold them as a fanned hand and the pickers only see the backs of the cards. I wanted a way to flip them over Miro Cards to simulate that, but the way you have this set allows them to select cards without seeing what they pick. Everyone will see what is chosen when it is dragged from the pile, but I think that’s ok.

I’m glad you shared, @H R ! Thanks.

This is great!!! I play a diversity game I learned from the trainers at Hasbro. People create a deck of 7 cards based on how they identify. Everyone has to pick 3  unseen random cards from their neighbor and after everyone has picked, incorporate them into their remaining cards. Conversation follows based on how their would would change having these three new attributes. 

In real life, at Hasbro, this is done with real cards. They choose their identity cards from stacks of different attributes when they arrive. During the game, they hold them as a fanned hand and the pickers only see the backs of the cards. I wanted a way to flip them over Miro Cards to simulate that, but the way you have this set allows them to select cards without seeing what they pick. Everyone will see what is chosen when it is dragged from the pile, but I think that’s ok.

I’m glad you shared, @H R ! Thanks.

Great to hear! The facilitator might even create a locked top card with the name of each player - placed in a circle. Then each player can ‘hide’ their current hand under their own name and briefly drag a card out to look at. 

@Pawel Owczarek and others

We created an app that does some randomization task including: shuffle, and pick a random item from a set, pick a random number between min-max.  etc.  

Maybe you find it helpful. :)  If you’d like to test it out  -- send me a DM.
https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-and-apis-57/list-randomizer-2970

Bump-- I’m also looking for this feature!

I organized a bunch of cards via a card-sort UX activity to prepare for a workshop, and now would like to “reset” the board with one click.

Curious, did you come up with a procedure for randomizing them? Thanks for sharing!

Inspired by this and other Miro Community forum threads around randomization tools,
we’re excited to have just published Totally Random on the App marketplace. 

It may not do yet precisely what’s all being desired in this thread, but I do hope some of you might find it helpful.  Its and honor and a dream to build these magic whiteboard tools with and for you all - Thank you for the inspiration. 

Totally Random Features:

• 1 random item from a selection of items
  • Random number between a chosen min and max
  • Divide into random evenly sized groups with chosen group size
  • Shuffle Locations
  • Shuffle Stack Order

We just added a deck of card-style shuffle feature tonight. 

@Jack Graham @Grace Barkhuff @H R @jmarrapodi @LAURO MOLINA @Pawel Owczarek 

Well done. The “shuffle stack” function is really useful and actually more intuitive for creating a die roll (make the die a stack of cards with the numbers)! :D 

Oh wow, I’ll have to test this out! Thanks!

I have a set of cards that are made up of 4 grouped objects per card (text, colour, headings, image etc.). I need to shuffle and randomise these cards. The App Totally Random seems to be able to randomise objects, so it picks up sub-objects in my card, not the card itself. So it finds 16 objects, if I have 4 cards, and randomises and shuffles those 16 instead of the 4.

Are there anysolutions to this?

Yes, this would be absolutely fantastic. I just ran a session where we did note taking on the board of challenges under a bunch of different frames. Some related challenges were already grouped together, but I wanted to grab a whole bunch of the post its, move them to a new frame, and shuffle them to do my own sort, but realized this isn’t something that’s possible yet. 

Definitely an upvote from me!

I’ve used the plugin Totally Random for this: https://miro.com/marketplace/totally-random/ – thanks Max!

But it would be nice to have this as a built-in feature.

@Max Harper Fantastic App, thank you! I just used it for a game where you need to roll random dice in different colors, and the “shuffle deck” feature (with a set of post-its numbered from 1 to 6) solves it perfectly