Preferred Navigation Mode Switches Automatically

Based on the hardware you are using at the time your controls switch automatically. Opposed to having to switch per board by going through the settings.  

Current State

Here is my experience and understanding of how things currently work. When a user enters a board for the first time, Miro sets the Navigation Mode based upon what input devices it detects. If multiple inputs are detected, some logic is applied - losely it is: touchscreen trumps all, trackpad trumps mouse, mouse is the last resort. This setting is stored in a cookie on the device being used and applies to that device it, not at the user's Miro account profile. 

@Kyle Bardiau - Is your idea to be able to set a Navigation Mode preference on a per-board basis? Or at the user level, e.g., so Miro would always set your Navigation Mode to Mouse, even though a touchscreen may be present? (Which is what I would like as my laptop has a touchscreen, but I never use it.)

Ah! Yeah, I was assuming that sort of logic needed to happen.

The thought came from when I dock in my laptop and use my mouse, to undocking my laptop when a meeting happens and go back to my trackpad. Based on what you said above, it should be switching, maybe my cookies are all messed up? 

@Kyle Bardiau - I believe that once the cookie is set, it can only be updated manually - Miro then just uses whatever value is present in the cookie. If at any point the cookie is not found, the logic runs and sets cookie. I think you’re cookies are fine.

So, your use case scenarios would be:

Given I have a laptop with a trackpad and I am in Trackpad Navigation Mode, when I dock my laptop and which has a mouse installed, then Miro would switch my Navigation Mode to Mouse.

And then again:

Given I have a laptop with a trackpad and am in Mouse Navigation Mode, when I undock my laptop and have a mouse is no longer present, then Miro would switch my Navigation Mode to Trackpad.

Does that sound right?