Miro: Dungeons and Dragons

Hey Miro-team and community!

With lockdown shutting down our physical DnD games in the office, we began looking for an alternative. As we already used Miro for our professional work, we quickly began considering it for playing DnD, as a virtual tabletop alternative. 

Miro works suprisingly well out of the box if combined with a voice chat like Zoom. By uploading battlemaps and tokens from Gameicons.net, players can simulate a board and easily drag and create their own notes (inventory, lore). The Dungeon master (me in this case) can use a player board miro and a DM Miro to easily organise his session notes overlaid on a map, track progress and make changes on the fly. 

There are a few features, while fairly simple to implement, which could radically improve Miro as a virtual tabletop tool. My main request would be a way to fully hide the GUI while still being able to edit everything on the board (for players), and a dice rolling feature allowing us to stay in Miro to roll various dice.

I would love to hear if there is any support from fellow GM's and players on here. Let's make MiroDnD a thing!

Regards,

-Vincent

Hi @VincentDN,

Thank you for submitting this idea :wink:

Tagging @Arthur Brill here, as he also shared their experience playing DnD in Miro.

Thanks for the mention Marina! I’ve been talking up Miro in gaming forums to let them know it is a very good option for D&D.

Vincent, I agree that some options to hide things from the players would be great. I have been setting all my assets over to the side, and dragging them into place as the players discover them. I’ve created modular gaming tiles that I can import.

You can set the zoom to what players will see when they log in, and put the other assets off to the side. They can still zoom out and find them if they really want to, but I found it to be a great solution. I’d have my monsters for a room grouped together, and once the players entered the room, paste the monsters in as they encounter them. It provides for a cool startle when monsters suddenly appear in the room.

Have fun storming the castle!

-Arthur

Thanks for the mention Marina! I’ve been talking up Miro in gaming forums to let them know it is a very good option for D&D.

Vincent, I agree that some options to hide things from the players would be great. I have been setting all my assets over to the side, and dragging them into place as the players discover them. I’ve created modular gaming tiles that I can import.

You can set the zoom to what players will see when they log in, and put the other assets off to the side. They can still zoom out and find them if they really want to, but I found it to be a great solution. I’d have my monsters for a room grouped together, and once the players entered the room, paste the monsters in as they encounter them. It provides for a cool startle when monsters suddenly appear in the room.

Have fun storming the castle!

-Arthur

That works yeah. I’ve also found gameicons.net to be a great match, you can color and create icons and drag them straight in Miro to have different ‘monsters’

For fog-of-war: Alternatively, you can just lay black squares over the map and reveal them piece by piece.

As-is, the features MiroDnD needs would be a dice roller and ‘player style’ presentation mode. If a developer is thus inclined, fantasy fonts would be a nice addition too.

V

We also play RPG on Miro and mostly miss a dice function. If only this could be put in an iframe: https://www.google.com/search?q=dice+roller

Another cool feature would be if each participant could have a ‘hand’, like a frame only visible to themselves. Here they could put their character sheet as well as other tokens.

Wow, my game design class today demanded that we use Miro for D&D too. A student said they were going to look into the dice on iframe and see if it was possible. Well up for beta testing anyone’s boards. Please hmu! 

In the same boat, using the Avrae Discord Bot for rolling, with a decent dice roller we could fully transition to Miro.

This is how my map (DM) looks like! This is the entrance of third level of DOTMM!

And all stuff about lvl 3 and Skullport!

But we play in this map (To the right is the fake map recovered in the first level)

This is not the max zoom! :)

GIVE US DICE ROLLER AND VOCAL AND WE LEFT DISCORD!

Thanks for sharing the idea!

@VincentDN - @Alexander Kuznetsov made an excellent web-plugin dice roller called Diceman. More info here:

https://community.miro.com/developer-platform-and-apis-57/simple-random-number-generator-288?postid=11670#post11670