Line as a shape (not a connection line)

There is a connection line what is great.

But I am missing a line as a shape, with possibility to choose ends (as arrows or circles).

Olesya - 

I’m not sure that I understand your question fully as I can create a line which is not connected to any other objects, and then modify both ends of it the same as if it was connected to other objects?

Thank you Kiron! 

I tried to draw a line several times but it was snapping to objects nearby. I guess that was a problem that I was trying to draw next to other objects. :blush:

Had the same question today. 

The line is actually fully usable as a standalone shape. You can stop it from snapping to objects nearby by holding CMD on Mac while drawing it (should be CTRL on Windows?). 

One thing I miss is an ability to snap a line to other lines. I draw a lot of stuff like in an attached picture. While it’s doable, which is great, the convenience is somewhat lacking. 

I had a similar request, since the Connetor Line does not behave exactly like other shapes. For example, you can not create three parallel lines, select the three, and use the alignment tools (space vertically, etc.), since the Connectors wouldn’t expect that capability.

A common use case for me is to create a Kanban-like board. I know there’s a Kanban template, this is a different use case where I want different item types represented in the board besides cards. I’d love to create four vertical column lines and one “title” horizontal line and get them all lined up nicely using the align tools. The hack I use today is to just create very thin rectangles. But, that is a hack, and doesn’t work for different line ends like arrows or circles.

ok, here is the why you cannot see the arrow at the end of a line or a point at the beginning:  the dimension of the line is so small relative to the frame you are using it in, that you have to scroll in to see the arrow head.  Then, is there a way to increase the size of the arrow?  right now it looks like it is defaulting to 12pt.  My frame text is at 64pt.

how do you adjust the thickness of a line?  the default is 14, I think.

There are two options:

Use connecting lines, but while drawing line press Ctrl (Connection Lines – Miro Support & Help Center)

Another cool option is to use smart drawing. Just draw a line like freehand and it will transform it in a nice line. PS. With this feature, you can also draw circles, rectangles, triangles, arrows, sets (Smart Drawing – Miro Support & Help Center).

I would really love the ability to use a line as a shape, and not a connection. Even the smart drawing tool turns your line into a connector. Just, don’t. And maybe get rid of that snapping feature (or allow people to turn it off). You could connect their lines yourself without it snapping crazily to nearby objects. 

I use lines to clearly define sections in my diagrams, and the rectangle shape doesn’t get very thin.

I hope it’s something you’ll consider adding soon. 

For the love of god just please make a simple line object that doesn’t connect to every thing in the universe. This is so basic, and I need it probably 100 times a day. Currently I have to import SVG lines in from figma for everything.  If that can’t be done, let us turn off the “connection” part of the connection line. This is probably the number one most annoying missing feature in Miro. 

Hi guys, I’ve figured something out, regarding the snapping of lines. If you hit & hold control (on Mac), the snapping function is disabled. It works either creating a line or moving a line. 

could you please give an update on the status of this request?

thx

This should be super easy to implement - which really makes me wonder why it’s still not there after > 1 year .. :thinking:

In my team we often use lines along with existing templates or shapes to tailor visualizations to our specific needs. The fact that a line currently moves in odd ways in order to find somewhere to connect slows down the whole process!

Another +100 to this feature request. Having to draw lines somewhere empty on the canvas then delicately trying to move them onto a diagram or visualization without them connecting to other shapes is a big time suck. We need a simple way to draw dumb lines. A crude pen tool akin to programs like Illustrator, without all the complexity of curves and advanced drawing would be great. The line tool as it is with the smartness removed would also be a workable V1 update. 

Hi, this is a huge issue for us as it prevents us from doing “Diagramming” and “Whiteboarding” properly. We want to draw straight lines across and inside rectangles. Right now lines wrap around to connect to the edges. 

My goal is to draw a straight line across the rectangle.

Currently if I hold shift and draw a line across the rectangle, I get “edges” that are due to the line trying to present a “connection”. 

Three reasons why Miro should implement line as a shape :

1 - Currently, lines snap everywhere and are very annoying to implement if you want to have them as stand-alones. While you can use CMD or CTRL to prevent snapping, and even if this is a solution (not the best, it shouldn’t be snapping by default) there’s still problem 2 and 3 that counterbalance it.

2 - You aren’t given any indications as to know if your line is straight or not, meaning you need to adjust at eyesight. Extremely unpractical, and inefficient.

3 - You aren’t able to move them the way you move a shape. Needing to adjust both ends each time is extremely unpractical, especially when taking snapping into consideration.

Really hopes it gets implemented.​​​​​​​

It’s nice that you can do this with the draw tool and “smart drawing” enabled. But the result still doesn’t act like a shape in that you can’t align them. Making it clearer and simpler to draw lines that can then be aligned/spaced like other shapes would be great.

I found this post and despite it being 3 years old, still nothing has been done to address the issue! Very frustrating.

Keeping this going. Please. Just a line, as a shape. Connectors that “don’t snap” are not the same.

Three reasons why Miro should implement line as a shape :

1 - Currently, lines snap everywhere and are very annoying to implement if you want to have them as stand-alones. While you can use CMD or CTRL to prevent snapping, and even if this is a solution (not the best, it shouldn’t be snapping by default) there’s still problem 2 and 3 that counterbalance it.

2 - You aren’t given any indications as to know if your line is straight or not, meaning you need to adjust at eyesight. Extremely unpractical, and inefficient.

3 - You aren’t able to move them the way you move a shape. Needing to adjust both ends each time is extremely unpractical, especially when taking snapping into consideration.

Really hopes it gets implemented.

pretty much all of this is solved for using the connector line, CMD and shift keys on a Mac https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730733-Connection-Lines

My goal is to draw a straight line across the rectangle.

Currently if I hold shift and draw a line across the rectangle, I get “edges” that are due to the line trying to present a “connection”. 

Hold down CMD on a Mac https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017730733-Connection-Lines

How is this still not a thing, no wonder people are moving over to competitor systems in droves

Seems to be working ok for me.. 

I did notice when I had snap to grid switched on, things got a little funky, the lines were snapping to the grid and not the shape I had created. Same with lione distribution, it was fine if i didn’t have snapping switched on. Here’s a quick demo.. 

@Mr Frank as a matter of genuine interest, which competitors ? 

All the best

Davy