Layers

Related products: Navigation

Hi!

I have a case with a complex flow with multiple steps, each step is a set of sticky notes that sort or overlap. I have been copying and pasting each step. If something changes I have to change it in all the copies, though this could be easily done with layers.

Thank you,

Johnatan

Agree with the above sentiments. We can’t organizationally move off Visio until this is implemented. Miro will continue to just be used for certain types of collaboration sessions, but not serious (technical) documentation.

P.S. How many Upvotes are needed to get attention?  500+ seems sufficient...

LAYERS please!!!!! 

We kind off have solved this with Layers in Miro. But it is for a specific purpose (our Enterprise map). So things in the API need to be in place for this to be a solid solution. E.g. keep Visibility when exporting to an image. And support Visibility at all in SDK 2.0.

But of course, I vote for a native Miro solution instead.

Our POC is just a temporary workaround that have been live for a year. See this POC here: https://softr-assets-eu-prod.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/applications/2e09c95a-e8a8-4c31-b7e1-6f8dd48cb990/assets/bb0e9f78-181a-454b-bbf0-85c8f52d51ff.gif

For tech architecture diagrams, having layers would be very nice.

To only show big entities, then having a layer showing requests between entities, and maybe another one showing network segmentation, etc

Hoping to get the feature soon 🙂 especially as it is requested a lot🤞

Just assessing the needs of Miro use in our company and missing Layers is the reason I went out to look for alternatives like Lucidchart/Lucidspark.

Architecturally, we cannot move away from Draw.io until layers are a native Miro feature. Insane this came up over two years ago and Miro haven’t tackled this yet.

Our use case: using one key visual for analyzing multiple products/material flows, multiple levels (product, industry, etc.) and different questions (constraints, solutions) etc.

While we can solve that by copy-pasting the Visual many times, that makes the canvas difficult to navigate at some point. And it requires time to assemble the big picture. In Illustrator I would just use layers for that.

Please implement this!

We kind off have solved this with Layers in Miro. But it is for a specific purpose (our Enterprise map). So things in the API need to be in place for this to be a solid solution. E.g. keep Visibility when exporting to an image. And support Visibility at all in SDK 2.0.

But of course, I vote for a native Miro solution instead.

Our POC is just a temporary workaround that have been live for a year. See this POC here: https://softr-assets-eu-prod.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/applications/2e09c95a-e8a8-4c31-b7e1-6f8dd48cb990/assets/bb0e9f78-181a-454b-bbf0-85c8f52d51ff.gif

This looks amazing, is there a way others can use it? when you say live, is it public?

I’d love having a native solution for working with layers. One real-life use case is during teaching and workshops when further information should be revealed on top of the base visualization, one step at a time. Another one is to de-clutter process maps, etc., where I would be able to have explanations separated on their own layer and so on.

Hi!

I have a case with a complex flow with multiple steps, each step is a set of sticky notes that sort or overlap. I have been copying and pasting each step. If something changes I have to change it in all the copies, though this could be easily done with layers.

Thank you,

Johnatan

Check this out: https://www.milkyway.international/milky-way-tool and test for free 30 days.

Does anyone know if 

released or will release their addin for layering?

In case this hasn’t already been mentioned, it would be good to have default behaviours for certain layers or elements. 

For example, currently when creating arrow links from one element to another, the default layering is set to "Send to front". It would be good if we could set a default behaviour to “Send to back” at object level as well as layer level

Three YEARS ago?!

Completely disappointing that this has yet to be developed.

A productivity design tool without layers in 2023… wild.

Miro team, please provide an update on this feature. It is highly upvoted!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to make sure you are aware of some (developer focused) layer specific updates:

[Developers] Support for layers in Miro's Web SDK
→ The Web SDK now supports layer capabilities for items, such as image, card, app card, shape, sticky note, and other other types.
→ This allows you to programatically layer various items on a board, using methods such as bringToFront(), sendToBack(), bringInFrontOf(), sendBehindOf() and getLayerIndex().

➡️ Read more about these updates in the changelog entry: https://developers.miro.com/changelog/2023-09-27-changelog

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to make sure you are aware of some (developer focused) layer specific updates:

[Developers] Support for layers in Miro's Web SDK
→ The Web SDK now supports layer capabilities for items, such as image, card, app card, shape, sticky note, and other other types.
→ This allows you to programatically layer various items on a board, using methods such as bringToFront(), sendToBack(), bringInFrontOf(), sendBehindOf() and getLayerIndex().

➡️ Read more about these updates in the changelog entry: https://developers.miro.com/changelog/2023-09-27-changelog

Is it really layers or just an element ordering? Can we hide/unhide them? Can we add more elements to a single layer?

And what does having the SDK support for it mean to the common user? Most of us are not tech-savy enough to create our own plugins to manage layers. Does it mean that Miro is actually working towards adding the functionality for everyone?

This has been requested so many times and for so long. It’s really disheartening to see that it wasn’t implemented yet.

Is there a way that an Miro forum administorator can merge this request for layers with the others (there are quite a few duplicates). From what I can see there are probably around 1,000 votes for layers in Miro if you merge the various wish list posts together.