Hide/reveal frames

We tend to use Miro a lot in (design-) workshops with clients. Therefore we prepare frames within a Miro board for different sections of the workshop and use the frames overview to navigate through it.

Unfortunately not all our clients are digital natives, so seeing a full board at first glance can be quite confusing at the beginning. Participants sometimes even scroll to other frames than the currently used one and get lost.

A bullet prove method to make sure everyone is looking at the correct frame (other than catching them with the video chat functionality – which is not always possible unfortunately) would be to be able to hide frames (including their content) until they are used.

Miro's competitor Mural has a quite easy approach to this: In the frames overview there is an eye icon next to each frames that can be tuned off (similar to the eye symbol for layers in photoshop or any other graphics tool). Frames can only be hidden/revealed by registered users (to make sure workshop participants as anonymous editors don't reveal frames by accident).

I think this would be a great feature to add to Miro's frames as well. And this can't be too hard to implement. What do you guys think?

Hi Tim,

good idea. I’d like to see this, too.

Michael

The ability to hide frames would be great @Tim J. Peters .

As a workaround till this feature gets added, I’ve just been using grey/white rectangles to hide the content which I don’t want to reveal. Lock them in place and when you are ready to reveal the next frame, just unlock and delete them.

Yes, this won’t prevent an edit-enabled participant from doing the same, but assuming the session is engaging enough, one would hope they won’t be inclined to “vandalize” the board :grinning: .

Kiron

This would be a great feature.  The equivalent of Mural’s Superlock is more important, but this would be a very nice-to-have feature!

cant wait this function too

Can’t agree more. Especially important for multi-stage workshops with a facilitated progression. Facilitators need the ability to appropriately “set the stage” and this includes the ability to hide/reveal elements/sections at the appropriate time.

We also want this feature!

Yes, please! I find this a super important feature. Does anyone else have tips and tricks to hiding and revealing information. I am looking for all of the above to keep participants focused and not getting lost in the entire board,

but also I would love to be able to have a box of icons they choose that has a sort of reveal more function. So I can have a group of like 10 to make it simple and they can reveal more. 

Hi @Tim J. Peters Thanks for the request! Could you help me in understanding your use-case: When do you want to hide/reveal frames (during the session, while preparing)? In your use-case who can hide and reveal frames? Do you need this functionality when not workshopping?

Hey @Jules Are you talking about the ability to choose what instruments can participants use during the workshop?

Hi @Tim J. Peters Thanks for the request! Could you help me in understanding your use-case: When do you want to hide/reveal frames (during the session, while preparing)? In your use-case who can hide and reveal frames? Do you need this functionality when not workshopping?

hey @Kate Ivanova! Thanks for getting back to me.

We would like to be able to reveal specific frames during the workshop. In this case we would hide all frames during preparation and reveal them step-by-step when we get to the methods in our workshop. Therefore only moderators would be able to hide/reveal frames.
Since we only use Miro for workshops I’m afraid I can’t answer your last question.

@Tim J. Peters Thanks for the answer! And how many moderators usually are there in the workshops? And do all of your participants use Miro via Anonymous Guest Editors or there are people with full licenses or Day Passes?

Usually we have two (sometimes three) moderators with full licenses and all participants as Anonymous Guest Editors (since workshops take usually less than 3 hours but can have up to 20 different participants, day passes don’t really make sense for this)

Hey @Jules Are you talking about the ability to choose what instruments can participants use during the workshop?

What I am needing is where say I have icons, images, text, etc. for participants to choose from and either all are hidden and THEY can make them visible like a sort of pop up window or expanded window like cards or there is a sort of more button (like on cards) and they can see more. Unlike, cards I want more icons, stickies, images, etc to appear not a description.

@Kate Ivanova Really my needs are similar to Tim’s just a little expanded in that it would be nice to be able to have a hide/reveal button on items like the lock button, perhaps on the same toolbar. A sort of click to reveal and/or moderator reveal function.

Please look at the implementation of Mural for this particular feature to hide frames. Every frame in Mural can be hidden when it’s part of the outline and then revealed as the workshop progresses. This includes instructions for participants attached either to remind the facilitator and/or to guide participants.

Same with the lock feature. Anonymous workshop participants should not be able to unlock elements a facilitator needs to stay in place. In Mural you can put a “facilitator lock” on them which only can get removed by another facilitator.

Tools for guided facilitation in multi-stage meetings/workshops is THE primary area where I think Miro is behind Mural. Unfortunately it’s also THE primary virtual whiteboard use case for us.

We actually really need this one. I use it for online teaching in higher education and i want to be able to hide stuff from students/teams

+1

I’d like to also build on the idea of turning frame titles on/off. I think this would be SUCH a helpful feature, but I’d also like to be able to turn on/off grey frame boxes. We plan our entire work sessions with a lot of presentation elements involved (currently working on a 250+ framed ½ day workshop) where we will click through the slides. Because of this, there are 250+ grey boxes on my board and it makes it look so messy - not to mention I also have to remove titles one by one on my 250+ frames in order for them to not show. Hope this will be implemented and allow us to smoothly move from internal working board to client presentation in one platform.

+1

Same thing !

Using Miro since a couple of weeks and already two non-tech clients are a bit lost…

They get when I explain or do a demo but it would be better if it was on the first shot !

Currently evaluating Miro & Mural for our engineering org. Frames as designed feel almost useless for anything but the most simple use-case. Some general thoughts.

• They become visual noise when trying to convey complex ideas
  • They seem to be a presentation tool which overlaps in other phases of Miro’s high-value use-cases
    • During design they create unnecessary boundaries. Boundaries are already defined w/ existing primitives (squares, circles, etc..)
    • During an initial collaborative review, when an idea is still unfinished, they conflate a diagrams “meaning to others” with the meaning to “you the collaborator”. 
    • During presentations they’re fantastic.
    • Post presentation, “let me review and update” they provide almost no value

Ultimately they would be better as temporal in nature. Show/Hide as descried above. Or if they were redesigned to be a presentation related feature. As it stands they’re (a bit) confusing, they are in the toolbox but feel to provide value mostly in presenting.

Just a .02 :)

Greg

@Greg Grabowy Of course like anything else if the idiom of frames is creating noise in your use case then simplest choice to make is not to use them.

With this in mind you perfectly lay out the situations where frame gets in the way, though even in the collaborative space one surely wants a bounding area within which one is to collaborate - akin to being in constrained when in a physical space.

I imagine for most complex ideas one is playing with and unpacking in some way you do need a reference point to navigate to and return to between intervals.  Sure frames feel like made for presentation, only because the visual or list ontology that shows up for ease of navigation. Surely frames are really just the breadcrumbs and one can order the breadcrumbs how ever one chooses in order to be an aide to collaborators who join the journey mid-stream in the co-creation space.

Thanks Tarang!

It goes without saying, but probably good to say, that simplest choice is not to use them. My hope is that this space is to discuss ideas instead of focusing on a solution.

I imagine for most complex ideas one is playing with and unpacking in some way you do need a reference point to navigate to and return to between intervals.  Sure frames feel like made for presentation, only because the visual or list ontology that shows up for ease of navigation. Surely frames are really just the breadcrumbs and one can order the breadcrumbs how ever one chooses in order to be an aide to collaborators who join the journey mid-stream in the co-creation space.

This is a great point. Reveals a lot of other thoughts on Frames as a tool. Breadcrumbs lead people down a path, give context as to “where you are”, belong to a journey. Are part of navigation. And the more those thoughts come to mind the more interesting (not good or bad) that Frames are what they are. They almost feel unfinished (yet still useful).

Psst, we’ve got some news. The hide and reveal setting for frames has arrived! :tada:

Check out the full announcement and leave your feedback here: https://community.miro.com/changelog-discussion-31/introducing-the-new-hide-and-reveal-setting-for-frames-2005

Thank you for contributing such amazing ideas to the Wish List! We hope this update will improve your facilitation and meeting hosting experience, and look forward to delivering more Miro improvements with your help :rocket: