Hide Avatar/Name label that appears when someone is editing/moving an object

In workshops and meetings with a large number of active participants the flurry of activity on screen can be distracting. Hiding collaborator’s cursors mitigates this but even with cursors hidden there is still a gray box that appears any time someone is editing an object.

Problem

Though one can switch collaborator cursors on and off, the ability to turn off the gray avatar/name label that appears when someone is editing and object doesn’t exist.

Example of the gray box with Avatar and Name that appears when a user edits and object
​​​​​​

At my company we use Miro to facilitate highly interactive workshops with upwards of 15 users working in tandem at a time. With this number of people all active at once, having these avatar/name boxes appearing all at once can be as distracting as having all of the cursors on screen.

Possible Solution

It would be great to have a way to hide these labels in the same way that we can hide collaborator cursors.

I Agree, also useful if you want to use anonymous dot-voting

Did anyone have a solution to this? It’s making dot voting difficult. 

@Jamie Prow , I just found out there is a Voting function within Miro, works for “dot-voting”: 

I agree with this idea, from the psychological safety point of view.

In my organization, for information security reasons, we don’t invite anonymous guest users.

So all the participants are sign in Miro, and they can know who wrote the sticky note, during editing the note.

In case brain storming or collecting ideas, all the participants must be treated equally.

But if some managers or part time workers are included in the participants, there is an bias to (unconsciously) prioritize managers idea than part time workers’ ideas.

(I think especially Japanese people have a tendency to mind hierarchy.)

I believe this “Hide Avatar/Name label “ feature helps facilitators, and increase the value of Miro.

Here is my use case for being able to configure the board so it doesn’t show the “Name label” (just show the content I create on the board). 

When I’m lecturing/coaching I often share my screen (the Miro board) in for example Teams or Zoom to visualize stuff by drawing and writing. I would like to spare the viewers from having to see me going in and out of menus to change pen color, size, etc.. One way to do this, is for me to also join the board from a different device than the one I use to share the screen, and do the edits there. However, then the annoying “Name label” (and “boxes”) keeps popping up.

Agreed, trying to do an icebreaker that involves people being anonymous and can't do it

I would really like this feature. I connect to my same miro board with my tablet & laptop. I like to have the board in presentation mode on my laptop and then pen mode on my table. Unfortunately, every time I draw or edit my name pops up which is distracting. I am trying to make “khan academy” like videos. I believe miro could be great tool to do this. 

Code blocks have now been added. If I get this feature now everything will be complete 😎

I agree with this idea, from the psychological safety point of view.

In my organization, for information security reasons, we don’t invite anonymous guest users.

So all the participants are sign in Miro, and they can know who wrote the sticky note, during editing the note.

In case brain storming or collecting ideas, all the participants must be treated equally.

But if some managers or part time workers are included in the participants, there is an bias to (unconsciously) prioritize managers idea than part time workers’ ideas.

(I think especially Japanese people have a tendency to mind hierarchy.)

I believe this “Hide Avatar/Name label “ feature helps facilitators, and increase the value of Miro.

Unconscious bias toward leadership hierarchy is definitely not just a Japanese thing.  It’s extremely prevalent in the US as well.  Allowing anonymous feedback would be a great feature addition for the Miro platform

This need recently came up for me and my team during an icebreaker that involved people being anonymous and we weren’t able to do it. 😕

Curious if in the last 2 months anyone has seen any enhancements to support being able to hide Avatar/Name label that appears when someone is editing/moving an object? 

One workaround I’ve tried is opening up the miro board in an incognito browser - where the person is not logged into Miro. Not really ideal or efficient. 

I find it difficult to believe this still isn’t a thing yet. The settings are so confusing on seeing editor names.

Any updated on this?

Hi, I think the new feature “private-mode” implemented on last September is likely to satisfy the request in this thread. I will try it!

https://help.miro.com/hc/en-us/articles/9794413310482-Private-mode