Hide and reveal elements at different zoom levels

Sometimes I’m creating complicated diagrams or infographics that span many systems. In many cases I want to be able to effectively present the full diagram in a zoomed out state, then zoom in on a specific region where I have a lot of much smaller, more detailed content related to that specific area on my board. 

The problem arises when a lot of small, unreadable content becomes visually distracting when you are zoomed out at the overall system-level. It’s still there, taking up space, but serving only to deter focus from the elements you’re actually talking about.

My suggestion would be to have a frame-level option to hide content at a certain threshold of zoom-out. You could even add some kind of little indicators that show there’s “deeper” content there if you zoom in, rather than show the content itself. Figuring out the right threshold for each component will be tricky, but I think it’s doable. Some things (like images with embedded text) will probably never be perfect, but that’s probably manageable by the set of creators who would be using this feature.

Am I on an island? Anyone else out there who would use this? Is it actually already possible and I’m off my rocker?

DA

You’re not on an island. I want the same things. Working in software architecture means I routinely need to present complex concepts and systems in visual form - with varying levels of detail available depending on the audience. I have previously used Prezi to great effect for these kinds of interactive, navigable and *zoomable* content. 

Right now, I can create content with frames and use nested frames. When I move through the frame sequence, Miro correctly zooms in on the nested frame. However, the actual coordinate system within the nested frame is _not_ scaled - so 8 pt text and line widths aren’t scaled to the local frame of reference. Which basically makes it far too hard to create the nested content in the first place!

If Miro would just allow a frame to not only bound a portion of the coordinate space, but _also_ define a locally scaled coordinate system, I’d have most of what I need. I could zoom into the frame during editing and then add appropriately scaled content easily. This would require Miro to have a sense that I’ve “activated” the frame for editing in order to set the currently active scale factor.

This would be really useful for me too, but making a sane UX for this is tough

Prezi and Focusky seem to handle the UI aspects of this just fine. 

Came here from Google hoping to find instructions on how to do this, and quite disappointed to learn Miro can’t do this. 😔

This would be a killer feature for me for system diagramming, and I was hoping I might be able to use Miro as a sort of service-documentation wiki.

The big issue here is that architecturally in software you have several views of your systems, ranging from very high inter-service level, to highly detailed low-level modelling. The views relevant to one view are complete noise in another! And the idea of trying to maintain separate diagrams of the same information only presented at different zoom levels is a nightmare; it’s just not going to happen.

Also, I think Miro could do even one-better than simply, “Hide elements at a zoom level”. What I’d LOVE to have is a zoom aware container, and I can tell it:

“I want you to have 3 different appearances. One at 10%, a different one at 100%, and another at 500%.”

Then I can actually have a complex detailed view completely collapse into 1-3 text elements that are sized appropriately. I can say that “at X% zoom, set opacity to 0%” and make things simply disappear.

I actually just found an element in Miro that… kinda does this? It’s called a Card.

Edit: Looks like the image doesn’t animate when it’s embedded here, but you can follow the link to see the animation on the official docs.

Anyone see an update on this? I’m looking for this too!

I am also in favour of this feature.

I will also point out that I have also made a similar request, but slightly different, here: https://community.miro.com/ideas/hide-any-contents-for-example-by-collapsing-15433