Hide activity list view from editors

Is it possible to hide the activity list from editors - so that only the board admins can view - because we do not want our clients to see all of the edits we make. I am aware of the button to turn on/off the view. For example this would be like if the client could see all of your powerpoint edits before a presentation.

Hi @Margo Johnson,

It is not possible so far, so I’m moving this topic to the Wish List :slight_smile:  

Hi Marina, 

Is there really no work around? Anything I can do? I need to share the board the first time with my client and these pink highlighted areas will certainly confuse my workshop participants. I asked them to try Miro upfront and don’t want them to be “scared” right away.

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Janine

@Margo Johnson / @Janine Kreienbrink - I added this Idea to the list of things I would like to be able to configure at the board level before sending a board link to my clients. You may want to add your vote to this idea → https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/configure-board-defaults-for-first-time-viewers-2675

Hi @Robert Johnson, Thanks for the reply and the vote is done.

To add, @Robert Johnson @Margo Johnson - my workaround is to duplicate the board once I have done all the edits and then share the newly created boards (without the activity) with my client. Works but is an extra step.

@Janine Kreienbrink - An extra but very simple and quick step - nice! Thanks for sharing 😊

Hey @Margo Johnson,

Thanks for the request, we will consider it. Could you clarify the following: when you share a board with your client, would you like them to collaborate on the board together with you? Do they have full editing rights?

Anton

Hi @Anton Telitsyn 

Jumping in here to say that Guests with only View rights can see the entire Activity Log. That is a security hole. This shouldn’t be something you can turn on much less being something that is visible by default.

1. The owner of the board should be able to clear the log completely.
  2. Guest shouldn’t see the log. I can’t even think of a use case where they would need to but maybe there should be an option to allow it.
  3. Additionally, owners should be able to hide the log from editors.

Imagine someone types PII or a password on a sticky. That information is now in the log with no way to get rid of it.

Thanks @Brad Topliff for your thoughts! We’ll consider them.

To add, @Robert Johnson @Margo Johnson - my workaround is to duplicate the board once I have done all the edits and then share the newly created boards (without the activity) with my client. Works but is an extra step.

Thank you! I was getting a bit concerned for a moment when I realised people could see every little edit I made and read stuff that I deleted. @Anton Telitsyn, an oversight that definitely needs to be corrected as of NOW, mate.

You are outside GDPR compliance and legally open for a complaint and fine. This is beyond a feature request for consideration, I am afraid. 

Anybody in the UK with concerns about this breach, feel free to contact the ICO: 

Your personal information concerns | ICO

Hey @Louie Morais,

Thanks for raising your concerns, we are investigating it.

Could you please let me know what exactly do you mean by saying that we are "outside GDPR compliance"? Could you please state a specific Article? Thank you!

Regarding your question about the Activity log: the user initiates the sharing of a board with other users, not Miro.  So if other users should not have access to the contents of a board, including personal information on such board, they should not share the board. The customer is the controller, Miro is a processor of the personal information provided to Miro in the service.

Anton

Hey @Louie Morais,

Thanks for raising your concerns, we are investigating it.

Could you please let me know what exactly do you mean by saying that we are "outside GDPR compliance"? Could you please state a specific Article? Thank you!

Regarding your question about the Activity log: the user initiates the sharing of a board with other users, not Miro.  So if other users should not have access to the contents of a board, including personal information on such board, they should not share the board. The customer is the controller, Miro is a processor of the personal information provided to Miro in the service.

Anton

Hey @Anton Telitsyn 

The trouble is that the sharer currently does not have enough ability to control what is shared - for example, activity log and change highlighting.    It’s overly binary to say share or don’t share it.   If Miro is going to be an effective consultation tool then some shades of grey, controlled by the board owner are necessary.

Hey @Sandi Dufficy!

Recently, we have updated the permissions to view Activity. It is now shown only to editors who were explicitly invited via email, project or team. I hope this will help.

Could you name any of the collaborative tools that give you the required level of granularity for similar data?

Anton

Thanks for the update Anton.  Smartsheet is pretty good in this space - but it’s not a digital whiteboard so not sure if that helps?   

What about the change highlighting for when shared guests return to a board - it regularly causes visual mayhem and is one of the biggest challenges with sharing/consulting, especially with not so technical stakeholders.   And, creating a clean board each time and resharing a new link is really limiting to consultation journey with a shared visual and a big group of stakeholders.

Can you provide an update on function updates in that space - and timeline?   Ta.

Is it possible to hide the activity list from editors - so that only the board admins can view - because we do not want our clients to see all of the edits we make. I am aware of the button to turn on/off the view. For example this would be like if the client could see all of your powerpoint edits before a presentation.

Please, miro pay attention to this wish. When we organize workshops with quests the pink colouring en change boxes always causes questions and rumours. It is not professional that we cannot solve this for our clients. And that makes also miro look bad. Please make an off switch for this function.

Hit the lighting icon on the bottom left hand corner that represents activity. A side tab will open. At the very bottom, deselect “Highlight Changes” 

Great, thanks for this tip. This solves my problem.

“What about the change highlighting for when shared guests return to a board - it regularly causes visual mayhem and is one of the biggest challenges with sharing/consulting, especially with not so technical stakeholders.”

This is what brought me here this morning. I am testing with a couple of phones and keep getting a screen that is completely highlighted. This is confusing to me and I am looking for problems. I need my viewers only to just see what they are supposed to see. I do not want them to have to act as their own tech support. If there is any prompt, just have a button that says “refresh for latest changes” or something to that effect. Do not highlight the entire screen, please. 

I have to concur with Brad Topliff’s point, I am hosting a team game on Miro and while I don’t think that most team members know about the activity button, if one of them does use it, it will show all of my set up activity, even if I upload from an RTB file it automatically creates a log under my name for every item uploaded in that chunk.

This would be a very good option for a board admin to be able to toggle access to activity history and clear/ hide it when necessary