Folders (directories) in projects

Organizing boards in projects works fine, but it’s not enough when you want to use Miro as a serious archive for ideas, project documentation and company knowledge. I observe that if there are more than 5-7 elements per directory, it becomes less and less usable.

Every single initiative we start, creates 2-5 boards. And it’s just one initiative in one of our products. Without directories, project view becomes a mess and is completely unusable.

For me, it’s absolutely essential to maintain a basic structure of our knowledge and lack of directories is a significant blocker.

I think especially nowadays, when the whole world works remotely, there’ll be more and more boards that will desire the comfort of a cosy directory. :)

+1

Wee need some form of hierarchical organization. Not limited to just 1 or 2 or x number of branches

Any news, we still request folders 😁🙏🏻

Totally agree with the post autor. I would love to have this feature. 

I enjoy using Miro but my every day tool  process mapping and brainstorming is Lucid Chart just because they have the folder structure that helps me to better structure my files. I would move 100% of my files to Miro on a day one. If we will have this feature.

YES to all of this!

Another use case would be increased privacy when sharing Miro on your screen - currently all items in the sidebar are visible, and if named transparently can give away key details of who your clients are / what projects you’re working on / internal initiatives.

Example: I’d love to be able to drop all my client work into sub-folders within a ‘Client’ project. That way if sharing my screen, no-one can see what’s in my ‘Clients’ folder unless we’re in the 1st level of that folder.

Hi @Anton Telitsyn

I’m starting to get upset on that topic. Since 2 years, this topic is being discussed in this community and all we hear is a “we are investigating” and “please send your use cases”. As many others, I’m in software too and do understand timelines etc. However, after 2 years, I would assume that you guys have enough understanding of the issue and expect a decision whether to go for it - or not. 

An open communication of this decision would help to set expectations and only be fair to your paying customers. 

Please, what is the status / plan for this feature?

Best
Benjamin

sooner than later please.  It’s very hard to find things when you have over 5,000 users.

@Anton Telitsyn 

What’s the status of this folder hierarchy feature? From what I’m seeing in the comments, it seems there has been no progress made whatsoever. This doesn’t seem like an impossible task by any means, so why are we now at the 2 year mark without any kind of update? Well, anything besides “We are looking into it”.

You already have the basic hierarchy of Team>Projects>Boards. Even two more levels further than that would be extremely helpful.  e.g: Team>Projects>Boards>Folder>Sub-Folder

We are hoping to use Miro company-wide, and this is a major shortcoming. We are still testing the waters, but this is a pretty critical missing feature.

Are there any news about this? This would be such a vital tool to stay organized...

What about developing an app or widget that can access all boards in a project and display them inside a box inside a Moro board? This way you create README board inside a project and add this widget that will list all boards in a project and their descriptions. Now you can create folders inside a widget and organise boards withn widget. 

New boards will be added to the root node.

Can someone with the Miro dev background can comment if dev tooling can be used to create it?

YES.

AND -- here’s the kicker -- we should be able to see the directory in any Miro board as an object we place, not just in the regular Miro UI.

In other words, I should be able to have a current version of that directory, auto-updating, within my MiroVerse itself. Having it outside the boards is actually unwieldy. Our workspace is board-based.

What about developing an app or widget that can access all boards in a project and display them inside a box inside a Moro board? This way you create README board inside a project and add this widget that will list all boards in a project and their descriptions. Now you can create folders inside a widget and organise boards withn widget. 

New boards will be added to the root node.

Can someone with the Miro dev background can comment if dev tooling can be used to create it?

LOL Sorry, also what you said, I just came to say the same thing.

​Hi! Your requests definitely make sense! The team is working on improving user content discoverability.

There are different ways of how people prefer to find the information. I agree that directories and tags may be complementary features.

@Jason Dinkel could you give me an example of how you would organize a tagging system?

My proposition to  Organize project

@Christophe GESCHÉ 

My proposition to  Organize project

I think it makes sense to merge these two ideas into one - if the Miro team can do that.

Development wise - if we want this to be acually implemented sooner rather than later we should ask for:

• tags and the ability to search by them
  • one level folder inside a project

This will probably cover 90% of the use cases. Those who want to go to sub-sub levels and beyond can name folders this way:

• Designs 
  • Designs - Hardware
  • Designs - Hardware - Engine 

This will also probably raise a question of implementing Trash Bin because from my experience it does not matter how vivid ‘You are deleting a folder with 20 boards. Do you really want to do this?’ people will delete it and loosing 20 boards can be disastrous. Good upsale reason for the Miro if added to the paid plans only  or only Business and above.

still absolutely zero ways to organize a ton of boards, especially locally. 
miro people must not actually use miro. 

just give me a way to look at a list of all my open miro boards, not a tool tip that takes 5 seconds to hover over every tab to see what you have open. 

+1 this idea. definitely something that would help in documentation/organising

I would like to even keep it as an optional view, like, if someone wants to explore the directory it will be there to access the space, but for others the miro works just as it is now.

@Andy Lomerson , @Martin Hofmann 

More feedback from PM/PO about community idea in this forum. | Miro

Absolutely mad that this feature doesn’t exist. How on earth can we not have folders within folders? This is pretty basic hierarchy when trying to manage loads of files. Things be getting messy! 

Would love to have this feature.

In terms of access, I’d love it if it uses something similar to GitLab:

• Root level (with users)
    • Boards
    • Project/Group (with project/group members)
      • Boards
      • SubProject/SubGroup (with subproject/subgroup members)
        • Boards
        • SubProject/SubGroup (...)

Parent level members would have access to all children levels. Children level members do not have access to parent level items.

Would love to have this feature.

In terms of access, I’d love it if it uses something similar to GitLab:

• Root level (with users)
    • Boards (private)
    • Project/Group (with project/group members)
      • Boards (shared with team/group)
      • SubProject/SubGroup (with subproject/subgroup members)
        • Boards (shared with team/group/subteam/subgroup)
        • SubProject/SubGroup (...)

Parent level members would have access to all children levels. Children level members do not have access to parent level items.

For clarification, root level boards are users’ private boards, not associated with projects/teams, and must be shared manually.

+1 for sub-folders

Over two years and many requests, and still nothing as basic as sub-folders? 

This request is 2 years old. Obviously they have no desire to add this function. 

I doubt if this will be seen at this point, but in case it is - I wonder if the Miro team are not themselves experiencing the organizational problems, so they don’t see a need for it?

In our case, the lack of folders within projects makes the projects an absolute mess as soon as you have a large team creating a ton of boards. We are really missing at least an archive folder so we don’t have to rename things (which then can’t be read because the name is too long) or worse yet - delete ideas that may later become reasonable. We may also want a personal folder, or perhaps an approved folder - really any hierarchical structure to allow the users to organize a project that has 50 or 60 boards in it.

So the only reason I can see for this not being a priority is that the Miro team are not experiencing it themselves. If that’s the case, maybe they have a suggestion for how to organize Miro boards beyond just “projects”? We have not found a way to do it and the frustration among the team is growing. The software is fantastic other than this, but there’s no apparent solution for scalability.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.