Flippable cards (like playing cards or flash cards)

As a Agile Coach who facilitates workshops, meetings, and runs training sessions

I want flippable cards, where text, backgrounds, images, etc. are editable on each side independently

so that I can simulate playing cards, flash cards, index cards, planning poker, delegation poker, moving motivators, etc. cards

This could also be beneficial for people looking to run other types of games in Miro as well

MVP:

can create a flippable card

can customize each side

can ‘play’ card one direction and then flip it to see the other side

Large Feature AC:

easily create multiple cards of the same size and shape 

ability to create set of cards with one side (the ‘back’ of the card) the same text/image/etc.

cards can be organized into ‘decks’ or ‘packs’

cards can be ‘shuffled’

cards can be dealt face down or face up

ability to look at ‘private hand’ of the cards and sort, organize, etc

This is exactly what I am looking for as well. I have several really useful games and experiential learning ideas in mind that requires flippable cards. Even the MVP alone would double the value of Miro - which is already very high 🙂 - for me and I’m sure also for many other agile coaches. A complete feature would be invaluable. 

would like this feature as well - please notify

Yes I agree I need this feature also. 

I’d like to add to the list:

• Shuffle cards
  • Reset 

For the programme I’m currently trying to create a games board for wellbeing activities. Ability to shuffle cards would be very helpful for so many card and board games. 

Reset - this would be good for many things:

1. ​​​​​​​All cards come back to a focus point and then you can hit shuffle
  2. Clean the board up after use. Currently for battle ships we have been using ‘undo’ but that has a max number of undo you can do

If Miro wanted to invest some time like the retro boards you can create. Maybe some games like: 

• Snakes and ladders
  • Battle ships
  • Cards against humanity (ability to add your own)
  • Articulate 

It is a great idea. I agree, that two-sided object (like a card) with a specific flipping trigger (click, maybe hover) would be a really great, neat feature! You could be a two-images in a simple version or two full flippable designs (frame-like) in a more feature-packed version.

@Abigail Salter - I’ve submitted an Idea for separate sorting tool to be used for any type of objects.

I invite you to vote, if you find it useful: https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/shuffle-randomize-order-of-selected-objects-997

I have many learning focused card games that I use for in-person tutoring. that I want to convert to digital.  I have not been able to find an online card game generator There is a random word list generator, Word Search generator, Concentration game generator, flashcards, but nothing for a card game.  

Hi there,

I want to share one workaround with you. I’ve seen it in Cozy Juicy Real game :relaxed:

You can create a two-paged PDF doc, upload it to the board, and as you switch between the pages, it looks like you flip the card:

Please let me know if this solution works for your use case! :seedling:

@Ed Schaefer, @Esbjörn Hyltefors, @Serene, @Abigail Salter, @Pawel Owczarek, @Laurel

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well. And apologies for not replying sooner.

As @Marina mentioned, Cozy Juicy Real is a board game that was made available online using Miro’s amazing platform. We managed to create our card decks using 2-page PDF’s.

Here are the steps:

1. Create each card as a 2-page PDF using your software of choice (we use InDesign)
    • Ensure they’re the correct size so you don’t have to resize them all in Miro.
  2. For each card deck, create a frame on the Miro board and size it the same as the cards.
  3. Drag each 2-page PDF card onto your Miro board in backward order (bottom card first, top card last) - this means they’ll stack in the order you want.
  4. Turn on ‘Snap Objects’ and drag each card into the corresponding frame you created for the deck (you will be stacking one card on top of another).
    • Once you have all cards stacked into a deck, the Miro frame will allow you to move the entire deck around the board.
  5. To flip a card, click the top card and a little box will pop up (as @Marina showed you), which will show 1 of 2 and two little arrows either side - clicking the arrows will flip the card. Notes:
    • Other users on the board will NOT see when a card is flipped - each player would have to flip the card in order to see the other side.
    • You can ‘pin’ the backside side of the card (page 2) if you choose you want that side to load instead of the front side (page 1).
    Example of flipping the card by clicking the card and then the little arrow.

Unfortunately there’s no way to automatically shuffle or reset the deck/game, however there are a couple of workarounds to simulate this:

To Shuffle: Duplicate a few versions of your Miro board (e.g. version 1, 2, 3 & 4), switch up the order of the cards in each version, and each time you play/facilitate, choose a different version to use.

To Reset: Create a ‘Project’ on Miro called ‘TEMPLATES’ and have your unplayed/unused versions in there… when you want to use it, duplicate the template for use and then archive/delete that used copy.

• You can also ‘Download board backup’ with Miro so that you always have an unplayed version on your hard drive to upload if/when needed for reset.

I hope this made sense and is helpful. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need clarification.

Wishing you all a good weekend!

Sophia

Brilliant. I’m working on a boardgame with Chance cards and have been using the ‘card’ feature in Miro. It’s ok, but you have to zoom in to click on the dark grey box in the top right-hand corner to see inside. It’s not visually great...which is why your idea rocks! :)

While a flipable and shuffle feature is being requested I found myself a work around which works fo me and is less work intensive as the PDF 2 page work around.

What I do is spread out the whole deck of cards on the bord (using smart alignment) and cover them with another object (= the back of the card) which is aligned in the same way.

When you need to ‘draw’ a card simply delete the ‘back of the card’. 

When you need to shuffle be sure to drag the different cards a bit random and realign with smart alignment. As long as you mix up the cards a bit you are guaranteed that they are shuffled.

Have a spare amount of ‘card’ backs ready to quickly cover them.

Before
After and ready to delete a card back
Before shuffle

Now smart align and voila….

...they are shuffled.

Very creative and imaginative approach Eddy. I’m going to give that a go!

Thanks so much for your feedback :)

Exaclty what I’m look for.

Another nice feature could be to have some personal “space” where you can put your personal deck of cards (that nobody else can see), and you can drag and drop cards between  the “shared” and your “personal” board. 

A shared dice app, where you can select how many dices you want to start with, select the dices you want, and right-click to roll the dices would be fantastic too.

@Ed Schaefer@Esbjörn Hyltefors@Serene@Abigail Salter@Pawel Owczarek@Laurel

Hi All,

As @Marina mentioned, Cozy Juicy Real is a board game that was made available online using Miro’s amazing platform. We managed to create our card decks using 2-page PDF’s.

Here are the steps:

1. Create each card as a 2-page PDF using your software of choice (we use InDesign)
  2. For each card deck, create a frame on the Miro board and size it the same as the cards.
  3. Drag each 2-page PDF card onto your Miro board in backward order (bottom card first, top card last) - this means they’ll stack in the order you want.
  4. Turn on ‘Snap Objects’ and drag each card into the corresponding frame you created for the deck (you will be stacking one card on top of another).
    • Once you have all cards stacked into a deck, the Miro frame will allow you to move the entire deck around the board.
  5. To flip a card, click the top card and a little box will pop up (as @Marina showed you), which will show 1 of 2 and two little arrows either side - clicking the arrows will flip the card. Notes:
    • Other users on the board will NOT see when a card is flipped - each player would have to flip the card in order to see the other side.
    • You can ‘pin’ the backside side of the card (page 2) if you choose you want that side to load instead of the front side (page 1).

Unfortunately there’s no way to automatically shuffle or reset the deck/game, however there are a couple of workarounds to simulate this:

To Shuffle: Duplicate a few versions of your Miro board (e.g. version 1, 2, 3 & 4), switch up the order of the cards in each version, and each time you play/facilitate, choose a different version to use.

To Reset: Create a ‘Project’ on Miro called ‘TEMPLATES’ and have your unplayed/unused versions in there… when you want to use it, duplicate the template for use and then archive/delete that used copy.

• You can also ‘Download board backup’ with Miro so that you always have an unplayed version on your hard drive to upload if/when needed for reset.

I hope this made sense and is helpful. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need clarification.

Sophia

Hi,

May I know how do you go to the next card? It is by dragging away the topmost card?

The use case I would like to see   is for flashcards for studying where a topic/question is shown on one side and the other is the answer.  It would be preferable to have the functionality native to Miro so that there is no requirement for creating multiple PDFs.  

Great tips, thanks. For a simple card game function, check out www.playingcards.io 

Hi All,

As @Marina mentioned, Cozy Juicy Real is a board game that was made available online using Miro’s amazing platform. We managed to create our card decks using 2-page PDF’s.

Here are the steps:

5. To flip a card, click the top card and a little box will pop up (as @Marina showed you), which will show 1 of 2 and two little arrows either side - clicking the arrows will flip the card. Notes:

Sophia

Dear Sophia @Cozy Juicy Real ,

could you explain in a bit more detail how you provide your game to the customer? Is it always an event where you need to be present and actively engage in the setup or can you provide the game to the customer in some other way where you dont have to actively do anything? We are creating a teamjourney game and we are currently thinking about how to make it available to customers. The “export and import of boards” function bears the risk, that the file is being sent around without permission and I understand that the customer would need to have a Miro premium plan set up for this.
Of course we could create private boards and share it with a customer but this could mean a lot of manual work in case we receive many customers...

Any other thoughts on this?

Also asking the community here @Marina @Ed Schaefer  and all the others :) Thanks a lot guys!!
Happy to hear your thoughts.
Manny

I have many learning focused card games that I use for in-person tutoring. that I want to convert to digital.  I have not been able to find an online card game generator There is a random word list generator, Word Search generator, Concentration game generator, flashcards, but nothing for a card game.  

Hi Laurel, try www.playingcards.io I use it for many small easy games!

I have created this simple deck of cards to draw from: 

This is genius, and would completely replace the “Hidden for now” feature. The hidden frames would have nice and telling covers.

Hi All,

Here are the steps:

Sophia

Hello all,

In addition to what have be said for Cozy Juicy, it is possible to use the “Totally Random” app to shuffle the cards deck! 

You select all the cards on the board, use the “shuffle stack order” to rearrange the deck (it affects which card is in front or back), then use the “spread diagonal” to rearrange the cards in diagonal. You can also select all the cards and use the sizing box to gather them all one on another.

Hope it helps.

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that I’ve developed a simple plugin called Card Flip that simulates the flip of the card.

Please check and let me know.

Best,

Adilson

+1.,

This is really cool and useful idea, and it can help in learning and for ice-breaking sessions too :) 

Regards

Aman

Would a Miro Kanban board work? It has flippable cards.