Flip a shape horizontally (Mirror feature)

Hi, 

I was wondering if it’s possible to flip a shape or group of shapes horizontally? (also called Mirror)

This feature is very handy in other drawing / vector tool.

Miro is an amazing tool, keep up the good work!

Best,

Julien

Please add this feature!! 

I need this feature too, and I saw this an old requirement, but Miro team i not answer this, to bad!!!

EDIT: finally found how to rotate objects, which will cover most of my use cases. And the easy and omni-present ruler snapping will help the rest of my use cases.

I am still surprised that there isn’t a Mirror function available, but I suspect I won’t actually need it.

EDIT: finally found how to rotate objects, which will cover most of my use cases. And the easy and omni-present ruler snapping will help the rest of my use cases.

I am still surprised that there isn’t a Mirror function available, but I suspect I won’t actually need it.

Could you show us your trick?

Regards!

Could you show us your trick?

Sure.

Rotation Guide

When you have shapes selected, there is a curly arrow for rotation.

Multiple shapes are selected. Note the Curly arrow in the bottom left.

When you click and drag the arrow, it will rotate all the selected shapes.

The shapes are rotated approximately 45 degrees. The curly arrow stays in the same relative position.

You can rotate it for a full 180. With the shapes I was using, this is the same as a horizontal mirror.

The smaller internal shape is now on the right side, opposite of where it started.

The arrow will stay in the same relative position to the shapes until you unselect the group and re-select it. The group will regenerate the arrow at the new bottom left position. If you select the individual shapes though, the rotation arrow will still be in the original bottom-left position.

When selecting one of the individual shapes, the rotation arrow is still anchored to the objects original rotation. If you are particularly rigid when looking for details like this, it’s important to look in all the corners and not just the first corner.

My example is particularly easy, and could have been done by just moving the inner oval to the other side. And this doesn’t work for shapes with particular geometry, like speech bubbles (the most common shape mentioned in this thread).

Speech bubble speculation

1. The 5 second fix for Miro on Speech Bubbles specifically would be to create a second shape that users can select and that second object to be a mirror of the existing bubble. Hide it in the Advanced Shapes sub-menu.
    The shape menu from the main action bar. This same menu is also accessible when selecting a shape. Clicking on All Shapes shows an expanded menu of shapes.

The main action bar has an even number of shapes for a nice display effect.  If you put it in only the context action bar for shapes, that menu has an odd number of shapes (by including sticky notes) and would not diminish the aesthetics.

2. Another option would be to allow shape mirroring when resizing through the axis. If you drag the side so the dimension is less than zero then render it mirrored. This would allow us to reflect shapes easily without an explicit mirror function. Eg: if you drag the left side to the right so that it passes the right side, it would be a horizontal mirror. If you drag the bottom so that it passes the top and is now above the other side, it would be a vertical mirror.
    • There’s no objective reason why this would have to apply equally to text. Resizing (squishing and stretching) already doesn’t modify the rendered font, unless it changes the need for word wrapping.
  3. Add an explicit mirror function. Hide it in the right click/3-dot menu.
The 3-dot menu where you could hide an extra function for mirroring shapes.

mirror_x(obj shape) {

obj.x = obj.x + obj.width;

obj.width = obj.width * -2;

1. Miro or the community could create a solution for this via an App. Any or all of the above. This seems really heavy handed for the scope of the request, but if Miro is really set on a extremely minimalist UI (this is the only reason I can really think of for why this isn’t available given how easy the fixes would be for Miro themselves), this might be the only real solution.

Please please please:

Add a mirror function into miro:

Lucid does it … in a simple way:

Michael

Waiting for this feature to be created! For now I guess I’ll just arrange everything around the speech bubble only going in one direction.. :/

This is seriously needed. Can we please get an update! MIRO has been phenomenal but this is something that we all really need. 

+1 on needing this feature. I make a lot of large mindmaps. Sometimes I change my mind and what to connect two maps in the middle. To do that, I typically need to “flip” one of them.

For me this is a basic but missing operation that I would frequently need. It is painful, if I have to open another tool for the mirroring (not rotating 180°) or similar operations.

Just entering the world of Miro. I explore and try to find out if it is worth paying for it… I see this topic is open for quite some time now. Could become a deal breaker for me.

+1. I’m surprised flip horizontal and vertical aren’t standard features.

Please can we have this? It kinda basic feature and must have. Just created a custom shape.. and have to do the same work again on the “other side” that would be a 3sec thing if there would be a mirror. 

Other than that miro is freaking amazing!

Perhaps if we could just get a poly line features so that we can create our own shapes, it would allow us to mirror the object with another drawing software (even MS Paint can do mirrors) and then trace it to create the vector art in miro.

Application should go back to being called Realtimeboard as a penalty until they can own the name Miro with a proper mirror feature.

Ha! :rofl:

@Jason Dinkel :

A competitor has got a poly line feature BUT … the real downside … you have to insert in each shape and also in the own created shapes extra text elements … so … therefore I would take the NOT-Mirror-Feature instead of writing my own text in each and every shape … 

So for me from two alternatives one has made it as a miro substitute … with its server in Germany, so I can at least collaborate with my clients starting in January … but without mirror feature …

Hopefully they are working on it.

Michael

@mlanders 

For line paths that i want to mirror, I draw one, then take a screenshot and flip it in a drawing tool and paste the result back, retrace it and done.

For shapes, i draw them with a line tool, but can't fill them with a color, so I zoom in and use the highlighter to "color" them on an IOS device by hand.

But I just joined the thread to cast a vote to help you guys. I'll let you figure out how you want to build the tools/get the work done.

Good luck.

Please let us mirror objects and pictures, Miro! It is so much extra work otherwise to mirror a graphic in another software and then go back to Miro to insert it...

Flip Text, Mirror Text, Flip & Or Rotate Text, Rotate Shapes. Maybe I was born with to much artistic license, Imagination is what drives us but this thread seems to have gone on far to long. Top Left Is the Limitation of Miro The Rest of the Image is a screen shot of Text & Shape Manipulation from a PowerPoint) of what I think several People would like to achieve. I do Hope Miro Development team are on this. Fingers Crossed. 

So a little Later my Artistic License continued as a went to a Live Room Presentation to Get Ideas from discussion  Group and input a Annotation / Speech Bubble Shape and Direction of both the Tail On the Bubble and Text Direction Bit me on the rear Again! So I improvised on Power Point to Visualise my Wish List / Get it Fixed !

Right Click To ADD TEXT Then just drag a  TEXT BOX into the Shape

Same as comments as above, we need to be able to flip objects, in order to share Tangram collaboration game within team sessions.  Have upvoted the feature above, but would like an update on if/when this feature might be available.

Please add this.

flipping objects is essential.
please add the feature!

why is this still missing?! ridiculous. its been two years already.

why is this still missing?! ridiculous. its been two years already.

after posting this i found out that you can just select the entire group with lines and boxes grab one side of the selection frame and then move it to the opposite side… and it works. at least for my need.
miro team need to communicate these things better. where is community manager!?

also i cant remove my old post… or edit it!?

@Jaime Perez @Phil Ryan @Daniel Jones @slearn @Melanie Seibert 

__ 

We just added Flip Horizontally and Vertically to a group:  its in our new Miro Marketplace App  PowerPack > Under the geometry tools. 

Hope you enjoy!  Feedback eagerly welcome!  

It works like this . . .

In the basic flips, we move the items to the inverted position relative to its group’s midline. This is super helpful in certain cases where this is exactly what you want: e.g. reversing the order of some sequence of items

We also offer a solution for basic naive ‘mirroring’ on rotate-able board items. This moves the items like in the basic flip but then also inverts their rotation (if they’re rotate-able: see below)

It only rotates naively, it doesn’t invert, so it will have, in certain cases some undesired outcomes. 

In action: 

Due to the current SDK / Miro core limitations, there’s a number of things we can’t do yet -- which may or may not be desired: 

• We can only move and rotate, we cannot actually invert(mirror) any item
  • We can only move a subset of board items: 
    • shape, images, stickies, frames, text, cards
  • We can only rotate a subset of those: 
    • shapes, images, text, cards

__

If you need to flip (invert) an image quickly: there’s a quick web utility for that.

• Right click the image in Miro.
  • Select “copy as image”
  • Open this web utility or one like it
  • Immediately press (ctrl + V) (CMD+V (mac))
  • Right click the flipped image and press “copy image”
  • back in Miro paste the image.

Maybe we should build that utility right into PowerPack … what do people think? 
__

Enjoy!