Flip a shape horizontally (Mirror feature)

Hi, 

I was wondering if it’s possible to flip a shape or group of shapes horizontally? (also called Mirror)

This feature is very handy in other drawing / vector tool.

Miro is an amazing tool, keep up the good work!

Best,

Julien

Mentioning more folks -- wouldn’t let me edit. 
__ 

We just added Flip Horizontally and Vertically to a group:  its in our new Miro Marketplace App  PowerPack > Under the geometry tools. 

Hope you enjoy!  I realize it won’t solve all use cases wished for by everybody, but it will solve a few.

Feedback eagerly welcome!  
--

It works like this . . .

In the basic flips, we move the items to the inverted position relative to its group’s midline. This is super helpful in certain cases where this is exactly what you want: e.g. reversing the order of some sequence of items

We also offer a solution for basic naive ‘mirroring’ on rotate-able board items. This moves the items like in the basic flip but then also inverts their rotation (if they’re rotate-able: see below)

It only rotates naively, it doesn’t invert, so it will have, in certain cases some undesired outcomes. 

In action: 

Due to the current SDK / Miro core limitations, there’s a number of things we can’t do yet -- which may or may not be desired: 

• We can only move and rotate, we cannot actually invert(mirror) any item
  • We can only move a subset of board items: 
    • shape, images, stickies, frames, text, cards
  • We can only rotate a subset of those: 
    • shapes, images, text, cards

__

If you need to flip (invert) an image quickly: there’s a quick web utility for that.

• Right click the image in Miro.
  • Select “copy as image”
  • Open this web utility or one like it
  • Immediately press (ctrl + V) (CMD+V (mac))
  • Right click the flipped image and press “copy image”
  • back in Miro paste the image.

Maybe we should build that utility right into PowerPack … what do people think? 
__

Enjoy!

@Jaime Perez @Phil Ryan @Daniel Jones @slearn @Melanie Seibert 

__ 

We just added Flip Horizontally and Vertically to a group:  its in our new Miro Marketplace App  PowerPack > Under the geometry tools. 

Hope you enjoy!  Feedback eagerly welcome!  

It works like this . . .

In the basic flips, we move the items to the inverted position relative to its group’s midline. This is super helpful in certain cases where this is exactly what you want: e.g. reversing the order of some sequence of items

We also offer a solution for basic naive ‘mirroring’ on rotate-able board items. This moves the items like in the basic flip but then also inverts their rotation (if they’re rotate-able: see below)

It only rotates naively, it doesn’t invert, so it will have, in certain cases some undesired outcomes. 

In action: 

Due to the current SDK / Miro core limitations, there’s a number of things we can’t do yet -- which may or may not be desired: 

• We can only move and rotate, we cannot actually invert(mirror) any item
  • We can only move a subset of board items: 
    • shape, images, stickies, frames, text, cards
  • We can only rotate a subset of those: 
    • shapes, images, text, cards

__

If you need to flip (invert) an image quickly: there’s a quick web utility for that.

• Select “copy as image”

Maybe we should build that utility right into PowerPack … what do people think? 
__

Enjoy!

@Yakovski @Stefan Heiligensetzer @mlanders @jamberjacks @Matt Menendez @John Reis @Sri Parthasarathy @Lars Cimber @Chanse Arrington @Shaan @Seth Heiserman @Alyssa Jongsma @jpetotte @Andrés @RichardB @sarahwrightcreative @Jaime Perez @Steven Gosling @sophia.carey @Ran Manolov @Daniel Langkilde @Jorn Malzahn @stucampbell @antti ilvessuo @Jason Dinkel  @Timothy Allingham Winstanley @Chris O'Connor @Hajdu Balázs @Ulrich Mueller @farshad  

That’s awesome, Max!

👍👍👍

@Max Harper There are still some bugs with the flipping of some allowed objects…

Especially with the images it doesn't really work for me yet.

And I would also like to be able to flip vector graphics!

@Ulrich Mueller Doesn't work how? You won't be able to invert a single image, only move and rotate.

@Henrik Ståhl 

ok, maybe that was my mistake.
i thought that it would be possible to also flip an image...

Yeah.. Sorry - there’s no easy way to invert (mirror) images with the SDK. In some cases we can’t even access the image data. If its a URL-referenced image we could perform the operation, but most often the image is not a URL-referenced image. The Miro SDK/API is still a little immature with its support for options. 

In the end of my last post I mention an option for flipping an image that is a quick round trip to another app.   Its a decent work around before full support in the app… 

__

One way to flip (invert) an image quickly: there’s a quick web utility for that.

• Select “copy as image”

missing something…  why i just cant select shape edge. Drag other side and it fllp? Seems like LOT of extra hassle to do one simple thing that is normal in any tool?

I need this feature terribly, and actually I can’t get how come miro has speech bubbles and doesn’t have flip function. Are you always talking to mirror? 

Why don't you just allow the resize distance per axis to go negative relative to the anchor? 

Technically it would give you a instant free horizontal and vertical flip feature that together with non-fixed proportion changes would give users a chance to play witch different aspect ratios.

To address textboxes, you could either make it blocked to this “feature”, OR, use one extra render step for textboxes into image buffers and treat it as the rest, so in this way, whenever you edit a distorted test, the editable version will show up as usual, while the user can see its distorted version being update during the edition. 😁 You have a great tool guys! Thanks for that and I hope to have helped. Cheers.

how many more votes are needed for this?

Omg it’s still not possible? 

I just tried the suggested App PowerPack. And really had to laugh. The whole threaf here deals mostly about the dialouge bubble. But nearly the only object you CAN’T flip is this bubble. 😅 Nice try. 
Otherwise the App really isn’t the best as it also does not flip quite a lot of things properly.

I did download the power pack, and still cannot horizontally flip, only vertically. Please, Miro, this is a pretty basic function we need!

Radically embrace the needs of your end users, please and thank you!

agh i want to flip a parallelogram since you can’t slide the top side left and right. 

Please add flip functionality.

Are there any updates on the status of this basic diagramming functionality?

Reading this thread all the way from 3 years ago was one of the most rediculous and laughable things ive ever seen. Apparently, a huge software company, cannot add a function that is as simple as copy paste. In Microsoft Word, you just click on something, and click ‘’reverse’’. How hard can this be? If you think i will download some app or extension and read through your pages of guides on it just to flip my god damn mindmap from right to left, you’re sorely mistaken.. Also, when picking a mindmap template, why doesnt it just ask you which direction it should face? If my whole diagram goes from right to left, but i can only choose one that goes left to right, then your software is really just useless, right?

I'm shocked this is not a thing 3 years later. Miro may go the way of Invision if they can't get their roadmap in order. Not sure if prioritization issue or their delivery times are lagging??

Need this feature very much!!

I'm shocked this is not a thing 3 years later. Miro may go the way of Invision if they can't get their roadmap in order. Not sure if prioritization issue or their delivery times are lagging??

It’s bad magic, dude