Export to PDF with Comments

Two questions as follows: 

1. How can I export comments
  2. How can I print comments in context

Ideally, i’d like to export a PDF with the comments opened on the screen - that would be useful for printing and sharing.

I have a shared workspace that has a bunch of comments on it. I’d like those comments to be expanded onto the screen and exported in a format that can be printed. 

Alternatively, I’d like to export the comments into a word doc or a google sheet.

In the above screenshot there are two comments.

When I export this to a best quality PDF, it looks like this

As you can see - the comments have disappeared. 

I’m testing Miro and Padlet for statewide, virtual, collaborative brainstorming discussions  - Padlet at the very least will publish comments with the PDF they generate in context. From there, I can export the PDF copy and paste it into my excel/googlesheets. Granted, I can see how it would be difficult to create a way to print comment thread in context on the PDF Miro generates, but it would be so valuable to have at least the option to export to CSV in context to the object the comment is attached to. 

Miro is much more powerful as an overall tool than Padlet, but for this reason, I’m to the point where I’m considering paying to use more than the free version of Padlet. 

Comments are important to the process and allows us to do more than we could in person!

Idea: Could you at least make the comments exportable from the updates list?

All that said, I am in LOVE with Miro and look forward to continuing to find ways to use it. 

Disregard - found it an upvoted!

How do we add this to the wish list as @Marina suggested so we can add upvotes? This is imperative to me. I am new here so don’t shoot me if I am missing something, LOL. 

Hello,

I like the idea of doing a comments export but I have concerns/questions/ideas about how we plan this type of an export and how it will work for everybody.  Here are my thoughts on how I would frame it out initially. Please advise / critique...

But how to format them?

1. Comments with numbers at the end of the document. Links from the comments to the drawings and links from the drawings with numbers placed at the location of each comment that link to the comment?
  2. Hover boxes over each image?
  3. Both? Some people will want to copy the comments to a flat format for further analysis or to use artificial intelligence to determine customers needs with the comments in general?

But I wonder what type of view everybody would want to see for the comments. Do you want them to be linked as numbers to the PDF and then as you click on the numbers you are taken to a long list of annotations at the end of the PDF export?  Or do you want them to be visual? 

If they are visual, today, I already have problems with exporting large frames to PDF. Miro will skip images and text. Some text sizes are too small and do not appear. There are lots of Quality Control issues with the current export. I have to zoom in multiple times and print again and again to get it working. Super frustrating.

So if we add comments to the mix, you might get a huge pdf like this?  What if you wanted to have comments in each page on a huge grid, for example?  Miro doesn't give you a way to split a frame and export it today. I use another tool https://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-editor.  This tool as I show below, allows you to split your PDF into a grid and then generate a new PDF with more bite size pages.

Can Miro consider doing something similar with their frame? Giving it special “print/pdf/google docs/docx” page breaks so that the frame can be exported with segmented and numbered pages?  Also if the comments are to be placed with each image, can the mechanism do an initial calculation of size and put the annotations on each page as a preview or at the end of the document as a preview or with no comments at all, etc. Then let the user dump the miro frame to their favorite tool (Docx, Google Docs, PDF, etc.)?

PDF-XChange Editor

I’m testing Miro and Padlet for statewide, virtual, collaborative brainstorming discussions  - Padlet at the very least will publish comments with the PDF they generate in context. From there, I can export the PDF copy and paste it into my excel/googlesheets. Granted, I can see how it would be difficult to create a way to print comment thread in context on the PDF Miro generates, but it would be so valuable to have at least the option to export to CSV in context to the object the comment is attached to. 

Miro is much more powerful as an overall tool than Padlet, but for this reason, I’m to the point where I’m considering paying to use more than the free version of Padlet. 

Comments are important to the process and allows us to do more than we could in person!

All that said, I am in LOVE with Miro and look forward to continuing to find ways to use it. 

Wow… Padlet looks interesting. I've been asking Miro about audio files and video files for years.  Does Padlet allow you to record audio on their board directly? Is the audio searchable (as if I ran it through Dragon dictation). Do they enforce their limitations of 250MB for the video?  I guess I should try it.

As for your CSV idea, I guess I addressed it in my other comment on this thread… If Miro supports and export as a footnote or endnote (two different methods) then you could choose endnote and then copy all the text from the PDF, DOCX, Google Docs format into a google sheet… Or perhaps you want them to export the comments directly to google sheets and then use links and export all the images from docs and then you can open both documents together and navigate through all the images in docs while viewing the comments in order in sheets?

Wow… Padlet looks interesting. I've been asking Miro about audio files and video files for years.  Does Padlet allow you to record audio on their board directly? Is the audio searchable (as if I ran it through Dragon dictation). Do they enforce their limitations of 250MB for the video?  I guess I should try it.

As for your CSV idea, I guess I addressed it in my other comment on this thread… If Miro supports and export as a footnote or endnote (two different methods) then you could choose endnote and then copy all the text from the PDF, DOCX, Google Docs format into a google sheet… Or perhaps you want them to export the comments directly to google sheets and then use links and export all the images from docs and then you can open both documents together and navigate through all the images in docs while viewing the comments in order in sheets?

Nevermind. I tested.  Padlet isn't secure.  They let you upload audio and video, but if you grab the link, even if you make it private, and paste it into incognito mode, it can be played.  This means that your company, ISP or VPN provider can see and scan any url and even though it's HTTPS, there is no authentication so they can open the link without even doing a man in the middle attack for the certificate.

I worry about these things with miro also and I wonder why we don't have a sync code that has to be entered on the client to encrypt the data that we upload to the boards.  Miro at least checks for identification. Padlet doesn't.  That's a no-go for me. Can't use a product that doesn't have security as #1… and I prefer products that actually put me in control of the private key that encrypts what I send to them...

Bump! It seems pretty clear that people want to be able to export comments. Even if the in situ comment export is more challenging, getting it so that we can export comments as a CSV in the same format that we can export elements written on stickies would save my team hours!

Agreed! Being able to export comments would be extremely helpful!

We use miro for usability testing and we need to document result for regulatory reasons. So yes, we also really need the export comments. Now I need to copy / paste comments in documents. Not nice.

Sounds like a never ending story of wishing something which I don’t rate as goodie but an essential aspect of exporting. How for example should I provide a file version to participants of a workshop for doing their next steps without having all the necessary information added to comments.

I’m quite new to Miro … but this really disappoints me!

Comments, great for working through the problem but would be great to be able to export them to include in separate reporting. It feels like all the good work of comments is a little stuck in MIRO without being able to export!

I really need this feature to be able to export all the information from Miro boards that I use in workshops with client organisations. I only discovered today that this is not possible, but it’s a deal killer. I will be exploring alternative platforms.

+1 Need this feature. Just standard PDF comments on export. Nothing fancy. 

Any updates after two years? +1 this will be super useful feature.

I was shocked to see that the comments were not exported...

Big bump for this please! Export all comments to CSV incl. all comment attributes including the colour, author, status etc

+1

New to Miro and using comments a lot, but will have to rethink that if the info is just tied to a live version of the board

+1

I’m new to Miro and exporting with comments would be essential for our purposes.  Disappointing to see a 3 year thread of requests has lead to nothing.  

We’ve started using Miro as a way to collaborate on site (building construction) to simultaneously note deficiencies and make comments tagged to locations on a drawing.  It has been very productive but without a way of exporting this to a document that can be shared offline, there is limited application for this outside of just data gathering.

Throwing my hat in on this one.  The work arounds required to get the comments to download are silly.  

Lately I have resorted to manually turning every comment into a sticky note and attach it by arrow to the original note, cascading down multiple notes if there are several comments.  

I have far better uses of my time so my next plan is to discourage the use of comments entirely and have the group just layer sticky notes.  

Also need this

Why is this not yet here @Miro Community Team ?

We’d really like an update on whether this feature is due to be developed soon, do you have an idea of when it will be the case? 

ASAP please Miro. Comments are so useful for quick tidy annotation of boards, but not being able to export is painful.

Hi there! 

I strongly aggree, that we need a feature for exporting comments as PDF files (together with the boards). We are a digital agency and work a lot with our customers in Miro. They have the expectation, that we can easily export the comments in Miro. And for us, it would be very time-saving to have this feature! So I strongly vote for this feature!!!

Hello, any news ? Thanks !

Hello community

Thanks a lot for your explanations. This is very helpful.

Now this case is already 3 years old and still not realized. Still, the export with comments/notes would be helpful and is a big whish!

Is this feature on the roadmap and what can we expect?

Thanks a lot for your response!