Disable object unlocking for guest editors

THE ABSTRACT

It would be great to have a possibility to enable / disable “unlock” option by board owner for different type of users - guests / occasional team members / team members.

THE PROBLEM

Currently all users with edit permissions can unlock any objects that were locked by board owner. It sometimes can wreak havoc on the collaboration flow, pre-set template or background images - for all of board users - especially when the trainer wants the flow to be a fluid, step-by-step experience for all the users he is having a workshop with.

THE (POSSIBLE) SOLUTION

Adding a board-level option to manage a setting which type of users can unlock locked objects. It might be, for example:

Unlock objects

• no access
  • team members only
  • team members, occasional members
  • guests, team members, occasional members

or a list of checkboxes for each user category to get a fully customizable setting.

Example how to put in current layout:

Great idea, it would be fantastic to have this feature, Paweł:) 

Thanks, @Edyta Paul :) Im sure that more control for board owners means more scenarios to design &  play and less frustrations when cooperating with users eager to move around all things they see ;)

Hey there, 

Just wanted to give an update in this thread that now Guest Editors cannot lock or unlock objects on boards. 

@Pawel Owczarek, besides, we already have 2 similar ideas in the Wish List:
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/more-stronger-lock-lock-objects-by-role-766
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/usage-rights-for-facilitators-vs-participants-440

Could you please check them out and let me know if I can merge your idea with any of these two posts?

Hey @Marina , 

Thank you for adding this information. However going through both links, the suggestion from @Pawel Owczarek or Carloz Martinez (screenshot below) is exactly what I (and I guess most of the community) are looking for. 

I tried what you mentioned above. I sent an invitation to an external email (Role: Non-team User, Licence: Occasional). On opening, they still have the option to “Long-Press to Unlock”. 

Is there something I am doing wrong? Can you add detailed step by step guide/video?

Thank you 

Mark

Hey @Mark Murray,

The thing is that you have invited the user to the board explicitly via email. However, guest editors are those users who can access your publicly shared boards and edit them. They do not require any license and their emails are not listed on the board settings. To share a board publicly and make it available for guest editors:

1. Open the board’s Share menu.
  2. Choose Can edit in the drop-down menu of Public link to board/Anyone with the link option.
  3. Copy the link, send it to your team, partners, or clients, and immediately start the collaboration! Anyone who joins with the link can create and edit the board content, add comments, upload files. You may find more information about guest editors here. At the end of the article, there is a comparison of Occasional users and guest editors. 

Hope that helps!

Hey there, 

Just wanted to give an update in this thread that now Guest Editors cannot lock or unlock objects on boards. 

@Pawel Owczarek, besides, we already have 2 similar ideas in the Wish List:
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/more-stronger-lock-lock-objects-by-role-766
https://community.miro.com/wish-list-32/usage-rights-for-facilitators-vs-participants-440

Could you please check them out and let me know if I can merge your idea with any of these two posts?

Hi @Marina a truly great news, indeed!

I’m very happy you have decided to introduce this feature! It will help a great deal to all those who diligently design their whiteboard workshops just to have them ruined in first minutes by overactive collaborators ;)

As for merging ideas, first one actualy seems to be similiar, but the latter seems to be addressing a larger issue with a wider set of preferences and usage rights.

Would it be okay with you to flag my idea as “delivered”? Our company has a community of almost 500 people in L&D branch, out of which approx. 200 (or even more) we’ve already introduced to miro. It would be a huge morale boost to see that ours and theirs ideas are really taken into consideration by Miro Team.

Thanks for considering that ;)

@Pawel Owczarek,

I’ve changed the title to Disable object unlocking for guest editors, to make it more straightforward. Now I can definitely set it to Delivered :relaxed:

Does it work?

@Marina, great! :)

It would be really great if this was an option you could turn on/off. There are times when it is useful for guest editors to be able to lock/ unlock content. 

Hey @Mark Murray,

The thing is that you have invited the user to the board explicitly via email. However, guest editors are those users who can access your publicly shared boards and edit them. They do not require any license and their emails are not listed on the board settings. To share a board publicly and make it available for guest editors:

1. Open the board’s Share menu.
  2. Choose Can edit in the drop-down menu of Public link to board/Anyone with the link option.
  3. Copy the link, send it to your team, partners, or clients, and immediately start the collaboration! Anyone who joins with the link can create and edit the board content, add comments, upload files. You may find more information about guest editors here. At the end of the article, there is a comparison of Occasional users and guest editors. 

Hope that helps!

Hey Marina

Thank you for implementing this new possibility for publicly shared boards. The solution Mark and I are loking for is for the consultancy plan. When I invite people to a team to run a workshop, your solution does not help. For this circumstance, a option “only board-ownder can unlock” would be fantastic!

Would be great, if you can implement this solution, too.

Thanks,

Lorenz

@Marina I keep repeatedly locking items on my board only to login and find some of them unlocked. It doesn’t appear to be attributable to guest editors. How do I know? The unlocked items aren’t highlighted to indicate guest editing. Also, it was happening before any guests were invited. Why is this happening, and how can I fix the problem?

Hi @Kim Denton,

Sorry to hear this! This behavior doesn’t seem to be expected. Could you please contact the Support team via this form? They should be able to investigate the issue and answer your questions.

Thank you!

I see a new toggle feature that allows the owner to decide when guests can lock or unlock items.

This is great!